Is there anything to be optimistic about?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:55:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there anything to be optimistic about?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Is there anything to be optimistic about?  (Read 2615 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »

No.  Even if COVID gets better in spite of the dumb people who refuse to wear masks or think it’s a fluke, there will still be a hall monitor class of idiots who won’t let life go on until there are no more diseases.  I know that sounds like hyperbole, but 1 million people are hospitalized every year from pneumonia, and 50,000 die ... prepare yourself for COVID panic types to move on to this and how we could prevent a very large portion of these (and they are correct!) if we just exercised social distancing always.

I think you're being way too hyperbolic, the distinctions between COVID-19 and other diseases are more than apparent. Though I personally would love to live in a world where I never have to shake anyone's hand ever again.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »

No.  Even if COVID gets better in spite of the dumb people who refuse to wear masks or think it’s a fluke, there will still be a hall monitor class of idiots who won’t let life go on until there are no more diseases.  I know that sounds like hyperbole, but 1 million people are hospitalized every year from pneumonia, and 50,000 die ... prepare yourself for COVID panic types to move on to this and how we could prevent a very large portion of these (and they are correct!) if we just exercised social distancing always.

I think you're being way too hyperbolic, the distinctions between COVID-19 and other diseases are more than apparent. Though I personally would love to live in a world where I never have to shake anyone's hand ever again.

I never said they’re the same, and my prediction can come true even with COVID being 1,000% worse, unfortunately.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »

Yeah.  Death.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 04:32:38 PM »

Death isnt inevitable anymore, people are living longer and now 65 is the age of retirement,  not the age of death. Thays why the Royal family have Charles parents at nearly 100 and not incapacitated
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »

In terms of how bad pandemics can be (and how fragile so many parts of our global society are) COVID-19 was about as perfect a wake-up face-slap as the human race could hope for. A fast-moving pandemic in the modern era was inevitable. We should count ourselves fortunate that we ended up with one so comparatively benign. It could just as easily have been a modern equivalent of the Black Death or worse. Now we have a chance to take the lesson learned, change out behaviors as a species, and have a chance against a much worse future pandemic  (Will we learn the rights lessons from COVID-19? I don't know, but I hope so.)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2022, 02:11:43 AM »

In terms of how bad pandemics can be (and how fragile so many parts of our global society are) COVID-19 was about as perfect a wake-up face-slap as the human race could hope for. A fast-moving pandemic in the modern era was inevitable. We should count ourselves fortunate that we ended up with one so comparatively benign. It could just as easily have been a modern equivalent of the Black Death or worse. Now we have a chance to take the lesson learned, change out behaviors as a species, and have a chance against a much worse future pandemic  (Will we learn the rights lessons from COVID-19? I don't know, but I hope so.)
A lot of people have not changed their behaviours whatsoever and never ever will. In a worse pandemic, they'll infect thousands upon thousands of front line workers who will in turn infect family members and ther community members, killing millions, or even more. North American culture is overall far too adolescent to handle a really bad pandemic, and also too afraid to put anti mask anti vaxx anti lockdown lunatics in their place and stand up for everybody else.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »

The problem with Covid 19 it's a Homeless person problem and a migration problem and neither one is going away so we are stuck with it as long as there isnt any Section 8 vouchers the Homeless problem is gonna get worse not better

Every new case bring in another homeless problem, you see after all them Stimulus checks the economy actually contracted to 1.4 percent and then Putin started another war, if things play out Rs will win iin 22/24 but we havent voted yet so I am optimistic

Yeah Biden is a disappointment, Covid didn't go away just because Trump isn't Prez that's why he is losing to Trump 47/43%
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2022, 06:55:00 AM »

Alot of the insurrection stuff, I hear voters saying, in retrospect that without Garland, that's just to hurt Trump so he doesn't run they're not taking it seriously ANYMORE it's been 15 mnths since the insurrection and no one died and they put extra fenses and Security if it's a threat now just like 911 and some say Pelosi was in charge of the Security anyways, because she didn't want to enforce Security because of Summer riots
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2022, 07:06:42 AM »

In that spirit, RBG won't be replaced by a conservative justice.

Fittingly, in this thread--turned out to be the wrongest of wrong calls. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2022, 07:34:45 AM »

Quote from: 2 Peter 3:1-7
Beloved, this is now my second letter to you. Both of them are reminders to stir you to wholesome thinking by recalling what was foretold by the holy prophets and commanded by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.

Most importantly, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. “Where is the promise of His coming?” they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.”

But they deliberately overlook the fact that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water, through which the world of that time perished in the flood. And by that same word, the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

My King Is Alive.  In this is my Blessed Hope.  So count me an Optimist.  In the Battle of Good and Evil, God, who is Perfect and Holy, has already decided that He is going to win.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2022, 09:22:25 AM »

Therein lies the optimism. If an unfit society is stressed to collapse, the dormant saplings can emerge. This is not what I want, however.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2022, 09:54:00 AM »

Sadly, just like in 2009 and 2010, Democrats will have to console themselves with 'things could always be worse'. In that spirit, RBG won't be replaced by a conservative justice.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2022, 10:01:22 AM »

A lot of people have not changed their behaviours whatsoever and never ever will. In a worse pandemic, they'll infect thousands upon thousands of front line workers who will in turn infect family members and ther community members, killing millions, or even more. North American culture is overall far too adolescent to handle a really bad pandemic, and also too afraid to put anti mask anti vaxx anti lockdown lunatics in their place and stand up for everybody else.

Put them in their place, as in in a gulag or re-education camp? Smiley
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2022, 10:46:49 AM »

We don't know when you are gonna die fatal heart attacks and Strikes and death in sleep are on the decline, Betty White died in her sleep but she was healthy, mostly people that have diabetes or cancer die in their sleep

If you have a heart attacks or stroke you are most likely gonna be paralyzed and have to get rehab not Death
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2022, 10:58:33 AM »

We don't know when you are gonna die fatal heart attacks and Strikes and death in sleep are on the decline, Betty White died in her sleep but she was healthy, mostly people that have diabetes or cancer die in their sleep

If you have a heart attacks or stroke you are most likely gonna be paralyzed and have to get rehab not Death

I've considered that, OC. I think I inherited my dad's high blood pressure, so even though I would really desire to just die a peaceful and natural death without artificially extending my lifespan with pills, I don't really want to roll the dice and end up paralyzed for not taking the medication.

I'm also young and my mental health is a lot more f#cked up than my physical health is, and I'm working more on the former.. I'd be absolutely content dying peacefully and hopefully rejoining my family. The last thing I need though is a debilitating stroke that confines me to a wheelchair and an inability to speak.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2022, 11:14:30 AM »

World median income doubled from 2000 to 2017.

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2022, 12:31:07 PM »

-Rise of unions in the last several months
-Russia's struggles in Ukraine
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2022, 12:45:30 PM »

The next meal.

The next episode of a really good TV Show.

The birds chirping.

The sun rising.

Y'know, the simple things.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2022, 12:56:53 PM »

Why was this thread resurrected?
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2022, 01:31:19 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2022, 01:51:37 PM by A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

If you had asked me last week, I would've said going to prom. But now it's just getting through a week of AP tests and then graduation.

Edit: I forgot to mention celebrating Eid
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2022, 05:34:40 PM »

Death is no longer inevitable.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2022, 05:45:52 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2022, 05:51:27 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Sadly, just like in 2009 and 2010, Democrats will have to console themselves with 'things could always be worse'. In that spirit, RBG won't be replaced by a conservative justice.

For some reason the Georgia Senators weren't sworn in until Harris was VP on January 20, 2021.  So the Republicans might have been able to confirm a justice as late as the morning of January 20, 2021 when it was 51Rs, 47 or 48 Ds and Pence breaking ties. Padilla was officially a Senator but not sworn in, so that's why there's some question as to whether it was 47 or 48Ds.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2022, 06:59:25 PM »

There is alot to be miserable about just remember that
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2022, 08:54:32 PM »

That is, as long as we have accepted Jesus as our personal Savior
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2022, 09:20:58 PM »

World median income doubled from 2000 to 2017.

sad people hate facts

edit=oh....better one...."facts have an optimist bias"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies