Has the upper limit on Presidential candidate ages been hit? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:03:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Has the upper limit on Presidential candidate ages been hit? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the upper limit on Presidential candidate ages been hit?  (Read 1539 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: August 08, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »

The Prime Minister of Malaysia just retired this very year at age 95, so I'd say no. Hell, everyone seems to think Biden will be a 1 term president, but I personally think Biden will run for reelection in 2024 (if he is elected in the first place in 2020 of course)

The fact that he often speaks in his speeches of what he'll do "in my first 4 years" & "in my 1st term" would seem to imply he'll definitely be seeking a 2nd 4-year term if he's able to.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »

Biden could run for re-election in 2024, but I have to think you'd get a primary challenge against him simply on his age alone.

One would also have to think that such a primary challenge would immensely backfire if Biden's been demonstrating that he's healthy, vigorous, & fit enough to continue successfully executing the duties of the Presidency.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:43:39 AM »

The Prime Minister of Malaysia just retired this very year at age 95, so I'd say no. Hell, everyone seems to think Biden will be a 1 term president, but I personally think Biden will run for reelection in 2024 (if he is elected in the first place in 2020 of course)

The fact that he often speaks in his speeches of what he'll do "in my first 4 years" & "in my 1st term" would seem to imply he'll definitely be seeking a 2nd 4-year term if he's able to.

He obviously can't state he'll be a one term president in advance, that would make him look old/weak.  The presidency is a very demanding job when you have a president that does more than just golf every weekend, I can't imagine Biden lasting 8 years at his age and he's said he see's himself as a bridge to the future which implies he intends to set up his young, female veep for 2024.

Eh, I really don't think Biden's 4D chess-ing every small line throughout most of his speeches, as would seem to be implied by just saying that "he's not gonna state in advance that he'll be a one-term president." Occam's razor-ing it, he probably intends on seeking a 2nd term - again - if he's able to (that is, if he's healthy, vigorous, & fit enough to continue successfully executing the duties of the Presidency), but if he can't, then the Democratic Party's next generation will be well-equipped to take over early.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »

I could feasibly see a president in his 80s right now if he has his faculties, and possibly older in the future with someone who's lived the right lifestyle and has the medical technologies potentially available to the rich. I expect the medical field to get more funding and recruits as a result of this pandemic, so maybe the means to be at least mentally fit into your 100s will come sooner than we expect. But that's just near future sci-fi.

For the guy who recommended this comment, sorry man, I'm not talking about Biden when I say this.

"Vice President Biden is a healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old male, who is fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency, to include those as Chief Executive, Head of State and Commander in Chief." - Dr. Kevin C. O'Connor, D.O., FAAFP
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »

Biden could run for re-election in 2024, but I have to think you'd get a primary challenge against him simply on his age alone.

Yang's all but declared his candidacy already.

He said he'd consider challenging Biden if Biden didn't seek to "solve the problems that... are wrecking our lives & communities," not because he'll be 82.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 10:21:44 PM »

As medical practices continue to improve, and as we learn more about diseases and aging, we could expect to see eighty year old candidates much more frequently.  But we can also expect some younger Kennedy-Clinton-Obama types too, particularly among Democrats.  I was curious, so I added the ages of candidates since 1960.  The average age of Democratic candidates has been about 55.  The average age of Republicans has been about 64.  Trump 2020 and Biden are both the oldest in their respective parties.  Bush 43 in 2000 was the youngest Republican at 54.  Kennedy was the youngest Democrat at 43.
I'm fairly sure Nixon was in his 40s in 1960.

Yeah, he was 47.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies