MA-1: Morse accused of inappropriate sexual relations with college students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:18:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-1: Morse accused of inappropriate sexual relations with college students
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Author Topic: MA-1: Morse accused of inappropriate sexual relations with college students  (Read 12982 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2020, 06:35:06 PM »

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2020, 06:44:54 PM »

That would neither be surprising nor exculpatory evidence w.r.t. any given allegation. Neal would be a crap incumbent if he couldn’t even commission opposition research on a serious challenger.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2020, 07:06:27 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why the MACDs released their statement when they did.

Oh give me a f***ing break Roll Eyes  If it was a political hit job deploying false allegations then that’d be one thing, but there is no evidence of that.  If Morse did what he’s accused of then that’s disqualifying, period.  And btw, UMass found the allegations serious and credible enough that they are not rehiring Morse (not should they).
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2020, 07:58:38 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 01:30:16 AM by i want to get off mr biden's wild ride »

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why the MACDs released their statement when they did.

Oh give me a f***ing break Roll Eyes  If it was a political hit job deploying false allegations then that’d be one thing, but there is no evidence of that.  If Morse did what he’s accused of then that’s disqualifying, period.  And btw, UMass found the allegations serious and credible enough that they are not rehiring Morse (not should they).

They're still investigating things. The decision "not to rehire him" sounds more like a precaution than anything.

According to this article, it's not a matter of "rehiring". Some years, he teaches one semester, other years two. I find it hard to believe Morse would be able to balance a mayoral race, a college course, and a Congressional campaign - almost as hard to believe that it would take 10 months for the CDs to find out.
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2020, 08:39:45 PM »

If you support "progressive" policies that effectively gut the ability for anyone accused of sexual misconduct to defend themselves, I  am not going to feel bad for you if you get accused of something even if the allegations are 100% false.

If you play with fire, expect to get burned.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2020, 12:36:40 AM »

College Democrats dumb as hell again. Not shocking.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2020, 07:31:35 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 07:42:53 AM by From Prussia With Love »

Anyway, hopefully Neal wins the primary, but takes the hint and doesn’t run again in 2022.  That way, a solid progressive who isn’t a creep can represent the next decade’s version of this seat in two years.  There’s no reason not to elect a Berniecrat here, provided they’re sane and not a bigot or a grifter (which is a pretty low bar that most Berniecrats easily clear despite the obnoxious vocal minority).

Incidentally, I do get the sense that a good number of Berniecrats learned from 2020 that their movement needs to do a better job of not making actual enemies out of Democrats they disagree with and recognizing the difference between criticizing a candidate and behaving in ways that can easily be taken as a deeply personal attack on anyone who supports said candidate.  Then again, Biden has also been infinitely better than Hillary (and for that matter, much better than Obama was as President) about not being a condescending a**hole to Berniecrats.*  

The whole “don’t turn ideological disagreements among allies into deeply personal scorched earth fight to the death/keep your eyes on the prize” thing cuts both ways.  Hillary never understood that, but Biden clearly does which is a pleasant surprise.  But I digress...
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2020, 11:55:42 AM »

I decided to do some investigating, as I'm personally curious as to Morse's attendance of CD events. Looking at their western charter, there are 6 chapters in Western MA. He's not going to be hitting on students at Mount Holyoke or Smith. This leaves Williams College, Amherst College, UMass Amherst, and Holyoke Community College.

There's no mention of Morse on Williams' College's page (which is already scant as is). Holyoke Community College Democrats openly supported him a few weeks ago (their president still has Morse added), but they have yet to officially endorse. By far, there are a lot more recent things here, as Morse is mayor and Amherst itself is in MA-2.

Most events at UMass, where he was most prominently featured, come from before he was a lecturer. There was one event at UMass and one at Amherst College in 2016, when he actually was teaching as an adjunct. If this were true, it'd put Morse's timeline at 27 years old.

Obviously, the "if" is huge here, and you should take this with a grain of salt. For all we know, he could have attended their CD events as a guest, or the Amherst and UMass College Democrats could both have scrubbed their page of any events and done a poor job. I haven't seen anything else on Facebook or Twitter suggesting any in 2019 either, so I think it's unliel
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2020, 01:07:14 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2020, 10:00:57 PM »

Sounding more and more like a hit
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2020, 10:21:55 PM »

I'm sorry but the Democratic Party can not be the party talking about sexual assault while supporting people who use their position of power for sex. I don't care about the age difference, what UMass policy is, and I certainly do not care about the sexuality. It is not homophobic to say that people with leverage at institutions like universities and student orgs should not go after the people attending them.
If the relations was consexual, it should be allowed. There is 30K students in UMass.

consent is not the same when you are a student and a professor at college you go to is making advances on you, or you're a college democrat trying to make your way up the ranks and the icon of the organization is making advances on you.

Denying those advances could result in the power that person has over you being used against you. the conflict of interest is clear. It's simply not consent if it's under pressure

A teacher in another department has no pressure on you.

That's simply not true, people at the university have a lot of sway over their departments and research direction

What? You say I'm wrong and then restate exactly what I said.

sorry, I misread what you said. But at the end of the day, if you're running as a young progressive insurgent and college dems at the university you work for ban you from their events, clearly you've made so many people uncomfortable that you've done something wrong.

Or you made one influent puritan unhappy or someone is hoping to get a job with Neal as a reward for the hatchet job...

I don't think this the time for baseless conspiracy theories

Can I get an apology now?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2020, 10:28:42 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 10:35:51 PM by the ride never ends »

Came here to post this. While everyone might be apprehensive of the source, everything checks out.

At the very least, it shows that UMASSCD leadership actively knew about the Morse allegations for 9 months, and that Ennis worked to suppress his campaign in order to push his own agenda.

Morse's defense also matches up with my research of CD events in the area. The last UMass event he attended was in 2016 - before Ennis (or most of UMASSCD's leadership) attended college.

I thought it was woke zoomery gone too far at first, but Jesus Christ it's just as bad as the devil on my shoulder was telling me.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2020, 10:38:04 PM »

Came here to post this. While everyone might be apprehensive of the source, everything checks out.

At the very least, it shows that UMASSCD leadership actively knew about the Morse allegations for 9 months, and that Ennis worked to suppress his campaign in order to push his own agenda.

Morse's defense also matches up with my research of CD events in the area. The last UMass event he attended was in 2016 - before Ennis (or most of UMASSCD's leadership) attended college.

I thought it was woke zoomery gone too far at first, but Jesus Christ it's just as bad as the devil on my shoulder was telling me.

I'll wait for a credible source, no offense
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2020, 10:40:33 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 11:29:03 PM by the ride never ends »

I'll wait for a credible source, no offense

I don't have hard evidence, but you can do your own research and corroborate his CD event attendance yourself. It's clear that that the "Western Regional Kickoff" is the same event.

I also found that one of the students in the article is a real person who does genuinely support Morse. I'm not sure about the other, but one of them is definitely real.

Morse does acknowledge that he messaged a student. I hope he comes forward so we can find the truth.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2020, 12:06:07 AM »

UPDATE: After my own investigation, I can confirm that both of the students mentioned in the article are real UMass students who support Morse.

While the source might be sketchy to some, I've done my own internal investigation. Again - you can easily discover the same information that I did. All you need to do is open your mind and put in the work.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2020, 12:19:37 AM »

These absolute pieces of ****.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »

Good to see the vocal Centrists quieting down awfully quick by simply saying "Intercept bad" when the narrative doesn't suit them anymore.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »

Good to see the vocal Centrists quieting down awfully quick by simply saying "Intercept bad" when the narrative doesn't suit them anymore.

I’m not sure “only centrists think teachers sleeping with students is a bad thing” is a hill you guys want to die on...
Lognog
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2020, 02:09:48 PM »

I'm sorry but the Democratic Party can not be the party talking about sexual assault while supporting people who use their position of power for sex. I don't care about the age difference, what UMass policy is, and I certainly do not care about the sexuality. It is not homophobic to say that people with leverage at institutions like universities and student orgs should not go after the people attending them.
If the relations was consexual, it should be allowed. There is 30K students in UMass.

consent is not the same when you are a student and a professor at college you go to is making advances on you, or you're a college democrat trying to make your way up the ranks and the icon of the organization is making advances on you.

Denying those advances could result in the power that person has over you being used against you. the conflict of interest is clear. It's simply not consent if it's under pressure

That's simply not true, people at the university have a lot of sway over their departments and research direction

sorry, I misread what you said. But at the end of the day, if you're running as a young progressive insurgent and college dems at the university you work for ban you from their events, clearly you've made so many people uncomfortable that you've done something wrong.

Or you made one influent puritan unhappy or someone is hoping to get a job with Neal as a reward for the hatchet job...

Still does not dismiss anything he did

https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/hampden-county/holyoke-city-councilor-to-file-an-order-for-the-recall-of-holyoke-mayor-alex-morse/

now there is this. I think it's only a matter of time for the other shoe to drop
Lognog
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »

This is not even about ideology. I was a Warren then Sanders supporter (and was rooting for morse before all of this). It's about weather or not using power to get university students to sleep with you is an appropriate thing to do as an elected office holder.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »

https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/hampden-county/holyoke-city-councilor-to-file-an-order-for-the-recall-of-holyoke-mayor-alex-morse/

now there is this. I think it's only a matter of time for the other shoe to drop

A random contractor who only got elected councillor because of having the same name as a former mayor?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2020, 02:19:21 PM »

Morse has faced right-wing opposition in his home town as long as he's been Mayor.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »

Morse has faced right-wing opposition in his home town as long as he's been Mayor.
Has Morse ever faced Republican opposition?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »

This is not even about ideology. I was a Warren then Sanders supporter (and was rooting for morse before all of this). It's about weather or not using power to get university students to sleep with you is an appropriate thing to do as an elected office holder.

Except nobody ever even pretended he used such power.

Also, in many domains, lecturers are graduate students. As they are both teachers and students, they can't have sex (even whith someone from a totally different department) if they live in a college town without having to drive to other cities?

This is nonsense and you know it.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »

Name the GOP opponents he had as mayor.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies