19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:27:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat  (Read 19537 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: August 22, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »

Wouldn't this have came up in a criminal record check?
Even if juvenile records weren't sealed, I don't think the victims ever went to the police.

https://www.kshb.com/news/election-2020/wyandotte-county-election-board-certifies-win-for-19-year-old

He has officially won by 14 votes. the incumbent said he will pursue a recount and is considering a write in campaign in the fall.
It looks the the incumbent is running a write in-campaign, but Republicans are also running a write-in campaign. Hopefully the political leaders there can salvage this, but one guy on the ballot facing divided opposition is gonna have good odds in November.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article245042675.html

Per Daily Kos, Romney and Trump got 37% and 40% in this district respectively. Could the Republican have a shot due to vote-splitting on the Democratic side?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 10:15:27 PM »

Remember that district in Philly where only the Republican ended up on the ballot, and the Democrat ended up winning by like 90% anyway with a write-in campaign?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »

Here's a good one: does Kansas have in state law that anyone voting in a party primary must vote for that party's nominee in November? I know it's never enforced but as I hate open primaries if Frownfelter wins by a large margin this would be the perfect example to make in court the absurdity of the law. Frownfelter could even be the person Coleman could aggrieve against because Frownfelter would have to admit publicly he did not vote for Coleman and if that law is on the books, then Frownfelter by definition would no longer be a bona fide Democrat.

(We're really going out there I know but I'm doing this because that law in states it does exist is an unenforceable fiction and the fiction is tolerated to have open primaries. If the law exists in Kansas and Frownfelter wins it provides evidence of the fiction and why the law should not exist. A small town near me in 2015 the losing candidate brought this issue up in a lawsuit and it was quite the tempest in a teacup.)

Does any state have that law? This is the first I've heard of anything like that.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 09:46:24 AM »

Well, it's who the Democratic Party primary voters of this district picked to represent them.

Personally, I'm in favor of more control for parties and vetting of who should be allowed to run for them. But the two main parties either don't believe in this or their voters would throw a fit. The two parties as they presently exist are incredibly weak entities that function as little more than ballot lines.

I don't really see the problem with the parties functioning as ballot lines. If we can't have third parties, we need to give voters choice in who the major parties nominate, or else the party bosses end up deciding everything. I see your yellow avatar so I know you're in favor of third parties, but we'd need to change the system to encourage third parties first before we limit participation in the nominating process.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies