19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:54:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: 19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat  (Read 19531 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »

This race isn't over yet, as the vote canvas (which will rule on any provisional ballots) takes place on Monday.

That being said, talk of the Speaker not allowing Coleman to be seated if he wins is honestly a bit much. The power to expel ought not be expansive enough to empower the State House to simply disregard the will of Coleman's electorate, however distasteful the State House may find his previous conduct, because Coleman's constituents still chose to elect him despite knowing about his actions. The State House needs to respect that if they respect, y'know, the idea of democracy.

Very much agree.

Certainly doesn't speak well to me about Frownfelter's campaign that he's having this much trouble with a high school dropout with the questionable conduct & comments of Coleman. Would the seat just be vacant for a couple more months?
Duke of York

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2020, 08:42:18 PM »

This race isn't over yet, as the vote canvas (which will rule on any provisional ballots) takes place on Monday.

That being said, talk of the Speaker not allowing Coleman to be seated if he wins is honestly a bit much. The power to expel ought not be expansive enough to empower the State House to simply disregard the will of Coleman's electorate, however distasteful the State House may find his previous conduct, because Coleman's constituents still chose to elect him despite knowing about his actions. The State House needs to respect that if they respect, y'know, the idea of democracy.

Very much agree.

Certainly doesn't speak well to me about Frownfelter's campaign that he's having this much trouble with a high school dropout with the questionable conduct & comments of Coleman. Would the seat just be vacant for a couple more months?
No Frownfelter would serve until January when his term comes to and end and Coleman is sworn in. The seat is too blue for A Republican to win it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »

I agree with all of the comments that the Speaker shouldn't refuse to seat him. Perhaps an argument could be better made if this came out AFTER the November election, but at this point, the voters are aware of Coleman's past and if they choose to elect him, that is their choice. Democracy should be respected. My guess is there is some sort of credible write-in challenge. If he still wins, he probably won't get committee assignments and will lose big in 2022, if he even runs or makes it until then without resigning.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »

Apparently, the stuff that this kid is being accused of (and seems to have admitted to) occurred when he was in sixth grade.

It’s totally fair to slam him for the dumb stuff he is saying now.  But there’s no way stuff you did when you were 11 years old should follow you around in your adult professional life.

Awful take. We aren’t talking about dumb forum posts or underage drinking here, this guy blackmailed someone with nude pictures to try to get more of them. There is no age he could’ve done that at to make it anything other than psychopathic. He should be nowhere near elected office.

There’s a reason why we sometimes prosecute 15-year-olds for adult crimes but never prosecute 11-year-olds.  An 11-year-old is not a morally mature person.  He could have murdered someone when he was 11, and I don’t think it should be held against him as an adult.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »

Apparently, the stuff that this kid is being accused of (and seems to have admitted to) occurred when he was in sixth grade.

It’s totally fair to slam him for the dumb stuff he is saying now.  But there’s no way stuff you did when you were 11 years old should follow you around in your adult professional life.

Awful take. We aren’t talking about dumb forum posts or underage drinking here, this guy blackmailed someone with nude pictures to try to get more of them. There is no age he could’ve done that at to make it anything other than psychopathic. He should be nowhere near elected office.

There’s a reason why we sometimes prosecute 15-year-olds for adult crimes but never prosecute 11-year-olds.  An 11-year-old is not a morally mature person.  He could have murdered someone when he was 11, and I don’t think it should be held against him as an adult.

He refers to his behaviour towards middle school girls as that of a "troubled 14-year-old", which means something else was still going on until that age or he was repeating grades.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2020, 02:52:16 PM »

I agree that an 11 year old shouldn’t be prosecuted for murder as an adult, but that isn’t what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about ability to hold office. Doing the stuff he did isn’t prosecutable (and shouldn’t be), but it shows he is clearly not well-adjusted. His more recent behavior shows he hasn’t completely changed since then either. Someone who has done those sort of things is not the sort of person who should be in a position of power in my opinion.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »

I agree that an 11 year old shouldn’t be prosecuted for murder as an adult, but that isn’t what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about ability to hold office. Doing the stuff he did isn’t prosecutable (and shouldn’t be), but it shows he is clearly not well-adjusted. His more recent behavior shows he hasn’t completely changed since then either. Someone who has done those sort of things is not the sort of person who should be in a position of power in my opinion.

I agree that they are signs that an 11 year old is not “well-adjusted”.  But I think whatever bad behavior someone shows at age 11, they should be given an opportunity to “readjust” as they gorw up and no have their literal childhood held againt them.

If he was actually 14 when he did this things, that changes my opinion a bit.  But I saw reference to him being in 6th grade at the time, and at least I was 11 in 6th grade.  And of course his recent behavior is totally fair game.
Duke of York

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2020, 10:24:11 AM »

Provisional ballots will be counted today therefore we should know by tonight if he has indeed won.

If he does the democratic process ought to be respected. There should be no write in campaign and if he wins the general which is very likely he ought to be seated and given committee assignments. There is no reason for the speaker not too.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2020, 11:14:23 AM »

I had no idea who this kid was and thought Atlas was being overdramatic by calling him a horrible person and whatnot but a quick Google search indicates that y'all were not, in fact, being dramatic. Geez.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2020, 11:55:11 AM by Monstro »

Again, how the hell did Frownfelter bungle the primary this badly? How much oppo did his campaign do & how much did they spread the word? Is he just a bad candidate and/or politician? Did Coleman run a particularly strong campaign? Poor turnout? I wouldn't have much faith in Frownfelter if he stays in Topeka because the legislature refuses to acknowledge the 19-year-old edgelord that may get more votes than him
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2020, 01:41:54 PM »

Again, how the hell did Frownfelter bungle the primary this badly? How much oppo did his campaign do & how much did they spread the word? Is he just a bad candidate and/or politician? Did Coleman run a particularly strong campaign? Poor turnout? I wouldn't have much faith in Frownfelter if he stays in Topeka because the legislature refuses to acknowledge the 19-year-old edgelord that may get more votes than him

There is very little opposition research done for low-level races like state house because those campaigns just don't have the budget to hire a bunch of lawyers and consultants to compile giant binder-sized dossiers on people like in presidential races.

You do basic stuff - look at the financial disclosures, check for a criminal record or tax liens. Old people don't get how social media works; they're not going to look into that stuff. Certainly nothing to the level of a presidential race where you're going to the candidate's alma mater and requesting a copy of their senior thesis to look for something incriminating.

Notice how whenever a low-level politician like a local mayor or state legislator gets caught in a scandal, it's usually because of something a particularly resourceful journalist uncovered, not something their opponent's campaign found.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2020, 02:24:51 PM »

There is very little opposition research done for low-level races like state house because those campaigns just don't have the budget to hire a bunch of lawyers and consultants to compile giant binder-sized dossiers on people like in presidential races.

You do basic stuff - look at the financial disclosures, check for a criminal record or tax liens. Old people don't get how social media works; they're not going to look into that stuff. Certainly nothing to the level of a presidential race where you're going to the candidate's alma mater and requesting a copy of their senior thesis to look for something incriminating.

Notice how whenever a low-level politician like a local mayor or state legislator gets caught in a scandal, it's usually because of something a particularly resourceful journalist uncovered, not something their opponent's campaign found.

Wouldn't this have came up in a criminal record check?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »

now, I don't remember this too well, but I think Frownfelter said he was retiring after this term last cycle, then walked that back. Might have been part of it, idk
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2020, 04:25:04 PM »

As stated before, he was 11 then.
Duke of York

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »

https://www.kshb.com/news/election-2020/wyandotte-county-election-board-certifies-win-for-19-year-old

He has officially won by 14 votes. the incumbent said he will pursue a recount and is considering a write in campaign in the fall.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »

Even if juvenile records weren't sealed, I don't think the victims ever went to the police.

https://www.kshb.com/news/election-2020/wyandotte-county-election-board-certifies-win-for-19-year-old

He has officially won by 14 votes. the incumbent said he will pursue a recount and is considering a write in campaign in the fall.
It looks the the incumbent is running a write in-campaign, but Republicans are also running a write-in campaign. Hopefully the political leaders there can salvage this, but one guy on the ballot facing divided opposition is gonna have good odds in November.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article245042675.html
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »

Even if juvenile records weren't sealed, I don't think the victims ever went to the police.

It looks the the incumbent is running a write in-campaign, but Republicans are also running a write-in campaign. Hopefully the political leaders there can salvage this, but one guy on the ballot facing divided opposition is gonna have good odds in November.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article245042675.html

Per Daily Kos, Romney and Trump got 37% and 40% in this district respectively. Could the Republican have a shot due to vote-splitting on the Democratic side?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2020, 12:09:34 PM »

Per Daily Kos, Romney and Trump got 37% and 40% in this district respectively. Could the Republican have a shot due to vote-splitting on the Democratic side?

Depends on how many Republicans partake in the write-in. If they have the efficacy of 2010 Lisa Murkowski, then anything's possible.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2020, 03:48:01 PM »

The incumbent and the state party should stop being sore losers and accept that they lost to a 19 year old because that's how bad they were. His past actions when he was a child, however recent that was, is irrelevant to the election.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »

Just a little sex crime among children, NBD.

Anyway, clearly they should treat this as a swing seat, launch a major campaign for the write-in, make clear they'll expel or impeach him should he win, and move to repeal the sore loser laws so this never happens again.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »

God I'm just disgusted at all the people here either defending this monster or saying this doesn't matter.  Do you realise how creepy and weird you guys are looking defending this.
new_patomic

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2020, 04:16:12 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2020, 04:20:16 PM by new_patomic »

Also he's 19 now, and most of this apparently happened when he was 14?

I don't think anyone is (or should be) saying this has to be define the rest of the his natural life, but it was literally just 5 years ago. It didn't just become nothing the moment he turned 18.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2020, 04:18:52 PM »

yeah this isn't some guy that did awful things like 20 years ago in addition to having actual accomplishments to cite and improvement/stabilization over that time

this is just some guy that did awful things
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2020, 05:05:02 PM »

God I'm just disgusted at all the people here either defending this monster or saying this doesn't matter.  Do you realise how creepy and weird you guys are looking defending this.

I agree, but I also think democracy is important.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »

I agree, but I also think democracy is important.

Democracy includes the state party making people aware of who they nominated and that they have an alternative.

Party primaries are treated as more sacred than they should be, given how under-attended they usually are.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies