NY-01 2020: Lee Zeldin vs. Nancy Goroff: Who wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:46:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-01 2020: Lee Zeldin vs. Nancy Goroff: Who wins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins this matchup?
Rep. Lee Zeldin (R)

Nancy Goroff (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: NY-01 2020: Lee Zeldin vs. Nancy Goroff: Who wins?  (Read 1848 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2020, 03:08:33 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2020, 03:58:53 PM by bronz4141 »

NY-01 is a swing blue-collar and upper-middle class mixed district. Trumper Rep. Lee Zeldin is facing off against Democratic challenger Nancy Goroff.

Who wins?

TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 03:41:01 PM »

You do realize that this year the Democratic nominee is a different individual, right?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:54:55 PM »

Yeah, the Dem is Goroff, not Gershon. Gershon lost general in 2018 and did not advance this year.

I grew up in this district, and it's a hard nut to crack. A lot going on and it's somewhat representative of a lot of trends in America. Almost no one who grows up there stays there (I left), those who do are in all likelihood not doing well because there aren't great jobs to be found (you move to NYC or Boston for real opportunities) and those folks can be Trumpy for that reason (aggrieved WWC); those who live there permanently as retirees are often SUPER rich creating a crazy class stratification/income inequality situation that is insane when observing the juxtaposition of houses and streets from one community to the next; and those uber rich people often depend on exploited undocumented labor to perform essential tasks -- and those folks are the target of the WWC's ire.

In total, a lot going on and you can see why Trump still holds up OK here. I don't know how you go from the very liberal Tim Bishop to Lee Zeldin though and it all comes down to how much the swingy, middle class vote here breaks against Trump. I figure it's enough to make this a 50/50 race.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »

You do realize that this year the Democratic nominee is a different individual, right?

Thank you for telling me.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »

Zeldin will probably still win. He’s quite popular in the district and I don’t think Goroff really appeals that much to the area.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 06:28:13 PM »

Zeldin's a narrow favorite, but like NY-2 this district likely will be a tossup, especially if Biden wins it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 06:39:11 PM »

Lean R
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:54:46 AM »

I’d say Likely R.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »

I'd love to see Zeldin lose, but I would say he probably wins reelection. Though it's not out of the realm of reasonable possibility, especially with his well known Trumpiness which might sink him in a disastrous Trump loss. I don't feel there are going to be many Biden - Zeldin voters, he's not someone who's tried to brand himself as a "hardworking hero" (like King in neighboring NY-02) Republican.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »

Lean R, but Zeldin’s not the unbeatable Titan some make him out to be.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 04:55:49 PM »

Likely R, much less likely to flip than NY-02 based on its profile.
Epaminondas

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 11:40:06 PM »

Yeah, the Dem is Goroff, not Gershon. Gershon lost general in 2018 and did not advance this year.

I grew up in this district, and it's a hard nut to crack. A lot going on and it's somewhat representative of a lot of trends in America. Almost no one who grows up there stays there (I left), those who do are in all likelihood not doing well because there aren't great jobs to be found (you move to NYC or Boston for real opportunities) and those folks can be Trumpy for that reason (aggrieved WWC); those who live there permanently as retirees are often SUPER rich creating a crazy class stratification/income inequality situation that is insane when observing the juxtaposition of houses and streets from one community to the next; and those uber rich people often depend on exploited undocumented labor to perform essential tasks -- and those folks are the target of the WWC's ire.

In total, a lot going on and you can see why Trump still holds up OK here. I don't know how you go from the very liberal Tim Bishop to Lee Zeldin though and it all comes down to how much the swingy, middle class vote here breaks against Trump. I figure it's enough to make this a 50/50 race.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience! That is the sort of detailed info I love on Atlas, rather than the recent spate of poll trolling.

Would you say the same dynamics are at play in neighbouring NY-2?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 12:09:18 AM »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience! That is the sort of detailed info I love on Atlas, rather than the recent spate of poll trolling.

I live in NY-2 (though the Nassau side of it & can literally walk to NY-3).  I would say the dynamics are similar to NY-1, though NY-2 with a few exceptions is more uniformly middle class
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 01:46:13 AM »

Zeldin is favored by default, but a Goroff upset is well within the realm of possibility.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 03:27:57 AM »

NY-01 will definitely be one of the harder seats (of those that are competitive) for Dems to flip
xavier110
United States
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »

As Smash255 said, NY-02 is more uniformly middle class. That may work to Biden/Dem advantage given recent trends.

As for NY-01 there are few districts in America entirely like it. It includes one of the greatest concentrations of wealth in the world in the Hamptons.

In Southampton there used to be a 7-11 (a convenience store) that put up several portapotties outside because throngs (literally masses of people) would line up outside to get day labor work. Every day getting your morning coffee looked like you were entering some protest or rally. You can imagine the spillover effects of that type of thing... the middle class families feel threatened, the upper class folks take advantage of the day laborers, the day laborers are just trying to survive.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »

Zeldin.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »

I wonder if I ever crossed paths with Goroff at Stony Brook.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »

Is goroff really that strong a candidate? That's not my gut impression, fwiw.

Not sure how strong the Democratic bench is here, but again my gut is telling me that zeldin will survive barring an entirely possible complete Trump collapse that drags him down with it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 03:56:26 PM »

Safe R.

This part of LI is copland.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »

I think this is a potential flip but I think Zeldin probably narrowly wins. I know bronz is trolling but it's a big police district and "law and order" probably appeals here.
Lookout
Jagblast
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 07:16:42 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 07:53:36 PM by Lookout »

Zeldin's chances are very high. I'm from the district, Goroff's entire platform is science and Coronavirus. I don't think that will be enough to put her over the top, I wouldn't be surprised if she loses by a wider margin than Gershon. He at least framed himself as a business leader, she's a professor. Not a lot of WWC types are going to be endeared to that.

NY-2 has a much bigger WWC than NY-1; it's population density is also much greater. There are communities within the district that are known for being crime-ridden, and that perception helps play into the pro-police rhetoric the GOP has been pushing. A lot of those undocumented workers live on the NY-2 side of the border between it and NY-1, so there are more aggrieved WWC voters. There's a North-South Shore divide on Long Island with more of the expat NYC WWC having moved to the South shore/middle of the island while the North shore is wealthier (generally). NY-1 is also much more rural than NY-2, so the economy and the mindsets are a bit different. NY-2's economy relies a lot on small businesses dotted along the villages on the Great South Bay, and its proximity to Queens, along with Fire island, makes it a popular tourist destination. Local politicians (I've met a few) joke about the "Republocrat" nature of the district, and Congressman King has been true to that nature. Speaking of, Peter King has been in office for some 30 odd years so the likelihood the GOP retains the seat is pretty fair. It really depends on how heavy the swing is in regard to Trump, since he's the face of the Republican party at the moment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies