News out of NY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:29:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  News out of NY
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: News out of NY  (Read 4089 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:59:14 AM »
« edited: April 09, 2006, 12:24:24 PM by Keystone Phil »

It probably doesn't matter much but former NY Secretary of State Randy Daniels has ended his Gubernatorial campaign. This leaves John Faso and Bill Weld as the only GOP candidates.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--governorsrace-da0408apr08,0,5627055.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:15:56 PM »

That's a shame, one more person the NYGOP could have turned to instead of Weld is out of the race.  Not that I am particularly acquainted with Randy Daniels, but he may have been worth  examining as a potential candidate in light of the growing reality of Welds impending trouncing this November.

I think SOMEBODY with CREDIBILITY (Who can also unite Conservatives) needs to challenge Weld for the nomination or the NYGOP's ticket will be crushed from the top down this November.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:24:58 PM »

I think SOMEBODY with CREDIBILITY (Who can also unite Conservatives) needs to challenge Weld for the nomination or the NYGOP's ticket will be crushed from the top down this November.

John Faso seems to be carrying the conservative banner in the race.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 12:37:11 PM »

That's a shame, one more person the NYGOP could have turned to instead of Weld is out of the race.  Not that I am particularly acquainted with Randy Daniels, but he may have been worth  examining as a potential candidate in light of the growing reality of Welds impending trouncing this November.

The NYGOP ticket is going to be crushed either way! The only person that's even close to being electable statewide in New York is Weld, Faso and Daniels would get crushed even moreso than Weld.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 02:13:57 PM »

John Faso seems to be carrying the conservative banner in the race.

and weld is carryng the normal banner.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 02:15:35 PM »

For the record, I am about 75% sure that I'd vote for Weld though I wouldn't consider moderates to be "normal" people anymore.   Tongue
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »

For the record, I am about 75% sure that I'd vote for Weld though I wouldn't consider moderates to be "normal" people anymore.   Tongue

and hopefully youd vote for chafee also.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 02:21:24 PM »

General - Ugh...I'd want to skip the office when voting but if I voted it would be for Chafee.

Primary - Vote for Chafee? I've always admired your sense of humor.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 02:51:04 PM »

General - Ugh...I'd want to skip the office when voting but if I voted it would be for Chafee.

You do realize that if Laffey is nominated, you'll get a Ted Kennedy/John Kerry clone in the senate as a replacement.  So you should just stick with Chafee and be happy.  I'm not leading revolutionary movements against Ben Nelson.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 04:28:45 PM »

You do realize that if Laffey is nominated, you'll get a Ted Kennedy/John Kerry clone in the senate as a replacement.  So you should just stick with Chafee and be happy.  I'm not leading revolutionary movements against Ben Nelson.

exactly.

i dont underestand why conservatives are always unwilling to support liberal republicans.  meanwhile, liberal republicans go out of their way to support righties (like santorum)

tweed, i hope your mets lose every game they play from here on out.  what a terrible team!.  delgado, martinez...geez, those two guys make barry bonds look like a jolly good fellow.  i do like wagner, however.  he is a fellow virginian.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »

exactly.

i dont underestand why conservatives are always unwilling to support liberal republicans.  meanwhile, liberal republicans go out of their way to support righties (like santorum)

tweed, i hope your mets lose every game they play from here on out.  what a terrible team!.  delgado, martinez...geez, those two guys make barry bonds look like a jolly good fellow.  i do like wagner, however.  he is a fellow virginian.

Wagner = choker
Beltran = overrated

Mets have actually looked ok to start the season, but with Wagner as a closer, you know that he's bound to choke away the season at some point in time.

Astros wouldn't have made the playoffs or World Series if Wagner wasn't the Phillies closer last year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 10:54:31 PM »

I respect you, Mitty, but don't try to fool me. If there was someone to the left of Santorum running you'd be jumping up and down in favor of that person's candidacy. No liberal Republican goes out of their way to support "Righties" especially Santorum. Just recently a Pro Choice GOP group made a plea for a moderate, Pro Choice Republican to run against Santorum. Liberal Republicans will be the reason why Santorum loses SE PA by so much soo please don't lecture me on this.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 10:57:28 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2006, 11:00:21 PM by Frodo »

No liberal Republican goes out of their way to support "Righties" especially Santorum. Just recently a Pro Choice GOP group made a plea for a moderate, Pro Choice Republican to run against Santorum. Liberal Republicans will be the reason why Santorum loses SE PA by so much soo please don't lecture me on this.

Wow, really?  And this whole time I was under the impression that it was only we Dems who are pestered with Kate Michelmanns who always threaten to derail any Democrat who doesn't whore themselves out to NARAL and Emily's List.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 11:33:53 PM »

The GOP ticket well get demolished come November no matter if its Weld or Faso win the GOP nod, its going to be an ugly year for the GOP.  However, Faso on the ticket makes it even worse.  If Faso gets the nod it becomes more likley that the Dems could gain control in the State Senate.  Weld is going to do quite a bit better than Faso in the NYC suburbs (Long Island, Westchester and other portions of the lower Hudson Valley).  The GOP is probably going to lose some seats in those areas as it is.  For some reason (partially due to incumbency & Pataki ties) left moving Long Island still has all nine seats in the Senate still controlled by the GOP.  A conservative like Faso will get absolutley obliterated on Long Island, lose very big iN Westchester as well, and portions of the Hudson Valley he will get demolished to.  Thats not going to say Weld will do well in these areas, because Spitzer will win them all, but the margins with Weld as the GOP Gubnetorial candidate will be a bit closer which in turn could reduce the chances of the GOP losing seats in the State Senate.  The GOP is going to lose seats in the State Senate, no matter who gets the GOP nod, but its going to be worse for them if Faso gets the nod because of the amount of Republican State Senat seats in areas hostile towards conservatives.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 03:10:21 AM »

The GOP ticket well get demolished come November no matter if its Weld or Faso win the GOP nod, its going to be an ugly year for the GOP.  However, Faso on the ticket makes it even worse.  If Faso gets the nod it becomes more likley that the Dems could gain control in the State Senate.  Weld is going to do quite a bit better than Faso in the NYC suburbs (Long Island, Westchester and other portions of the lower Hudson Valley).  The GOP is probably going to lose some seats in those areas as it is.  For some reason (partially due to incumbency & Pataki ties) left moving Long Island still has all nine seats in the Senate still controlled by the GOP.  A conservative like Faso will get absolutley obliterated on Long Island, lose very big iN Westchester as well, and portions of the Hudson Valley he will get demolished to.  Thats not going to say Weld will do well in these areas, because Spitzer will win them all, but the margins with Weld as the GOP Gubnetorial candidate will be a bit closer which in turn could reduce the chances of the GOP losing seats in the State Senate.  The GOP is going to lose seats in the State Senate, no matter who gets the GOP nod, but its going to be worse for them if Faso gets the nod because of the amount of Republican State Senat seats in areas hostile towards conservatives.

I want to enjoy the impending Democratic sweep but ever since I started seeing those Tom Suozzi commercials on TV I've been nervous. Is Suozzi still a threat? He must have paid a lot for that air time. (And for the record Spitzer has commercials out too, a good one).

Weld is probably my favorite Republican, so if I lived in New York I would be really undecided about who to vote for, they are 2 really awesome candidates. Anyone besides Weld for the GOP nomination would be a mistake, he's moderate enough to compete in the suburbs, which is the key. Whether he alienates some upstate is a different story.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 09:15:16 AM »

I want to enjoy the impending Democratic sweep but ever since I started seeing those Tom Suozzi commercials on TV I've been nervous. Is Suozzi still a threat? He must have paid a lot for that air time. (And for the record Spitzer has commercials out too, a good one).

Suozzi was never a threat. Spitzer has is destroying him as much as he is destroying the GOP candidates.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 10:08:11 PM »

Weld is probably my favorite Republican, so if I lived in New York I would be really undecided about who to vote for, they are 2 really awesome candidates. Anyone besides Weld for the GOP nomination would be a mistake, he's moderate enough to compete in the suburbs, which is the key. Whether he alienates some upstate is a different story.

Suozzi has some $$, but Spitzer has raised about 4 times as much.  Suozzi has virtually no chance of knocking off Spitzer.  I really like Suozzi and think he has done an amazing job turning around Nassau Co, after the dumpo the GOP left this place in,, but I still am favoring Spitzer.   However even if Suozzi did knock off Spitzer, it would still be Democratic hands.  For startres if Suozzi was able to pull off that immesne upset the momentum would be off the charts, not to mention Suozzi would do very well in the NYC suburbs (obviously long Island) and would take the state Senate with him as well.  However that point is mott because Suozzi has no chance against Spitzer.   He has some $$, but not enough to knock off Spitzer, and Spitzer's name reg and approval is just too much to overcome.  Suozzi should have gone for Congress and ran against peter King (my awful awful Congressman), he would have won, but instead of running for Congress against King. which he would have basically been a shoe-in for, he decided for the impossible task of taking on Spitzer in the primary.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 03:32:12 PM »

N.Y. Conservatives Move to Pre-Empt GOP

By MARC HUMBERT, Associated Press Writer
Tue Apr 11, 11:15 AM ET

ALBANY, N.Y. - New York's small but politically important Conservative Party will pre-empt the Republican Party by holding its state convention to choose nominees for governor and U.S. Senate before the GOP meets, Conservative Party Chairman Michael Long said Tuesday.

The move could have dramatic consequences in New York politics and puts extra pressure on the GOP because Long and state GOP Chairman Stephen Minarik disagree about who should run for governor.

No Republican running statewide in New York has won without Conservative Party backing since 1974.

Long said the convention's selection for governor would "overwhelmingly" be former state Assembly Republican Minority Leader John Faso and its choice to take on Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton would be former Yonkers Mayor John Spencer.

Minarik also favors Spencer but supports former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld's candidacy for governor in his native New York.

Statewide polls show Democrats Clinton and state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer far ahead of potential Republican opponents in the Senate and governor's race, respectively.

Long said the Conservative Party would convene on May 23 in New York City. The GOP convention is May 31-June 1 on Long Island.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »

N.Y. Conservatives Move to Pre-Empt GOP

By MARC HUMBERT, Associated Press Writer
Tue Apr 11, 11:15 AM ET

ALBANY, N.Y. - New York's small but politically important Conservative Party will pre-empt the Republican Party by holding its state convention to choose nominees for governor and U.S. Senate before the GOP meets, Conservative Party Chairman Michael Long said Tuesday.

The move could have dramatic consequences in New York politics and puts extra pressure on the GOP because Long and state GOP Chairman Stephen Minarik disagree about who should run for governor.

No Republican running statewide in New York has won without Conservative Party backing since 1974.

Long said the convention's selection for governor would "overwhelmingly" be former state Assembly Republican Minority Leader John Faso and its choice to take on Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton would be former Yonkers Mayor John Spencer.

Minarik also favors Spencer but supports former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld's candidacy for governor in his native New York.

Statewide polls show Democrats Clinton and state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer far ahead of potential Republican opponents in the Senate and governor's race, respectively.

Long said the Conservative Party would convene on May 23 in New York City. The GOP convention is May 31-June 1 on Long Island.

News keeps getting better in better.  It looks like the Conservative Party of NY may wind up basically forcing the state GOP to go with wingnut candidates which will turn the State Senate into Dem hands, thanks right wing wackos Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:07 AM »

Is this Conservative Party a Democratic plant, or what?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 12:43:09 AM »

Is this Conservative Party a Democratic plant, or what?

Well it serves as a great recruiting tool for the Democrats.  The conservatives getting more power in the GOP nationwide is what turned the NYC suburbs from Republican to Democratic changing NY from a lean Dem to strong Dem state.  Now the conservative Party of NY is doing their best at making suburban NYC even more entrenched in the Democratic Party and I'm enjoying every minute of it
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 09:12:04 AM »

Fcuk those obstructionists. I would vote for a Democratic candidate before I vote for a Conservative Party-only candidate.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 11:16:25 PM »

Fcuk those obstructionists. I would vote for a Democratic candidate before I vote for a Conservative Party-only candidate.

Many other Republicans on Long Island share that view, and quite a few as well would vote Democratic over the loonies the Conservative party want reprsenting the state GOP (Spencer, and faso)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »

Well I've given up any effort on Weld for Governor, there's just too many obstacles and Weld is too good of a man and a politician to be decimated by the fools of New York.

Now onto Weld for President....Wink
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 10:55:27 PM »

Well I've given up any effort on Weld for Governor, there's just too many obstacles and Weld is too good of a man and a politician to be decimated by the fools of New York.

Now onto Weld for President....Wink

he may actually have a better chance of knocking off Spitzer than he does of winning the GOP nomination for President.   Though he probably does have a better chance of winning the Dem nomination for President than beating Spitzer.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies