Endorsements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:25:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Endorsements
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Endorsements  (Read 2448 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2004, 11:30:50 PM »

I would choose either somewhat or alittle. Endorsements are only good publicy to the candidates and on air time. I mean but how much could a guy like Bill Bradley due for Dean? or First Lady Vilsack for Kerry?
jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 11:37:51 PM »

I chose somewhat also.  Harkins was huge for IA.  For Dems they ar important for superdelegates more than anything and free tv time.

GOP all united but ones like Zell Miller and 9 more Democrats in GA are endorsing Bush tomorrow are good for Bush.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 11:41:34 PM »

didnt hear about that.. what dems from GA are ?
i agree the superdelegates is what plays the actual role...
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 11:44:52 PM »

Griffin Bell, he was a fed appeals ct judge and Carter's AG, then they said a prominent State senator ( i think maybe state rep) and they said the others were a host of state officials, haven't seen the list of the other 7 yet.  Been looking for it.

Plus Zell is hosting a big fundraiser for Bush this weekend.

Give em hell Zell!

didnt hear about that.. what dems from GA are ?
i agree the superdelegates is what plays the actual role...
jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 11:54:51 PM »

Georgia Democrats Bolt Ranks to Support Bush

ATLANTA, Ga. — Howard Dean is going to Georgia on Sunday to visit with former President Jimmy Carter (search), though Carter is not expected to endorse Dean's candidacy for the presidential nomination. Meanwhile, other Georgia Democrats are moving in an entirely different direction.

Sen. Zell Miller (search) is bringing along some of his Georgia Democratic friends to an Atlanta fund-raiser Thursday evening featuring President Bush. The appearance aims to show voters that the president's support in the state is not limited to Republicans only.

In fact, nine other Georgia Democrats, including former U.S. Attorney General Griffin Bell (search), who served under Carter, are planning to announce their support for the president.

Georgia has been experiencing a gradual shift from Democrat-dominated to Republican-led politics over the last 35 years. In 2002, Georgia elected a GOP governor for the first time in more than a century.

Miller's decision to back Bush has angered Democrats, who say he is defying the party that has been very good to him, sending him to the statehouse as a senator, the governor's mansion and the U.S. Senate. But one observer said Miller's decision to back Bush is a sign of his developed political senses.  

"Zell Miller is very astute and, holding his finger in the wind, has decided that Georgia has gone over the cliff into the Republican column," said political analyst Bill Shipp.

Cairo_East
Cairo_Eastq
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 11:58:22 PM »

I'm voting for Wesley Clark because Madonna endorses him.  Wink

Please understand that sarcasm doesn't travel well via internet.
jravnsbo

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 12:03:38 AM »

Yeah, I hear ya, Madonna,m who cares.  If someone really votes for him for that reason they should be slapped! Smiley

CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 07:43:00 AM »

Yeah, I hear ya, Madonna,m who cares.  If someone really votes for him for that reason they should be slapped! Smiley

Agreed.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 07:21:25 PM »

I thinkthey help somewhat. Gore et al help significantly, but smaller endorsers do also help, especially in the state they are from.

I think i'm voting Dean, but I might vote Kerry in the primary.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 07:45:41 PM »

I think they help a little. Some times they help and some times they don't. All depends on who the endorsement if for, who its from, and where their from.

You could have a case like we did out here in CA. in which both Clinton and Gore tried to help Gray Davis with endorsements during the recall didn't help him at all I think his numbers went down after that... I might be wrong though
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 08:25:15 AM »

VERY LITTLE
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 01:08:09 PM »

Endorsements by the two daily newspapers here make me less likely to support a candidate.

I was surprised when the rightist Kentucky Post endorsed Chandler for governor, but it actually made me less likely to support Chandler.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

Endorsements matter.  I used to say they didn't, but when the Sierra Club endorsed Gray Davis I stopped giving the bastards money.  That's 35 dollars a year they won't get from me.  Not much, but it's something.  Also, I'm quite sure that the Gore endorsement hurt Dean.  As Bill Schneider says, "Endorsements don't help anyone, but they sure as heck can hurt candidates.  In that way, they matter."
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 01:24:25 PM »

But when I endorse people, it helps them.

That is how Campbell County managed to become one of Nader's best counties in Kentucky in 2000.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2004, 01:52:13 PM »

But when I endorse people, it helps them.

That is how Campbell County managed to become one of Nader's best counties in Kentucky in 2000.

you're the man.  I felt the same way in 2000.  I actively campaigned for Nader and he got 17% of the popular vote in Somerville, MA, where I was residing at the time.  The sierra club endorsed Nader in that particular race, though, and it pissed off a lot of democrats, so then they went back to endorsing democrats, and it pissed off quite a few independents.  I finally said to hell with 'em, go GOP and you can't go wrong.  It's a big tent, friend.  Come on in.
zachman

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2004, 02:39:32 PM »

Endorsements create news, and campaigns need positive and frequent news, so they do matter.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2004, 03:37:34 PM »

I think Zell Miller helps Bush, though probably mostly where he needs no help.  Same with likely endorsers of Kerry.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies