Keystone Phil Town Hall Questioning
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:21:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Keystone Phil Town Hall Questioning
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Keystone Phil Town Hall Questioning  (Read 1609 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »

Welcome to the Keystone Phil for Senate Town Hall!

This is where all campaigning, questions regarding the Senate race and my positions on the issues will be located. Feel free to participate!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:03:14 PM »

Though I am not in the region I have a question. What is your legislative agenda you'd like to see passed?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »

Though I am not in the region I have a question. What is your legislative agenda you'd like to see passed?

I thank the Senator for his question.

The general issue that I plan on focusing on is government reform. Firstly, I will stand in opposition to the proposed Parliamentary switch. While I have stated in the past that I am not strongly opposed to such an idea and it might be good to try something new every once in awhile, I have realized the problems with such a switch such as the fact that only sitting Senators may be elected Prime Minister. Also, the idea of an immediate takeover by the newly elected Prime Minister does not allow for a brief transition period which I feel is necessary especially for such an office.

Another area of government reform which I would propose would be initiating term limits for our Supreme Court justices. A justice serving for as long as he or she likes is unreasonable in Atlasia. My idea would call for a term of six months for each member.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »

Fridays with Phil

Please listen to the premier of my program!

http://store.goldenagecartoons.com/atlas/PhilSpeech1.wmv

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:28:01 PM »

Sounds good Phil. Good luck!!!
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 08:19:22 PM »

The general issue that I plan on focusing on is government reform. Firstly, I will stand in opposition to the proposed Parliamentary switch. While I have stated in the past that I am not strongly opposed to such an idea and it might be good to try something new every once in awhile, I have realized the problems with such a switch such as the fact that only sitting Senators may be elected Prime Minister. Also, the idea of an immediate takeover by the newly elected Prime Minister does not allow for a brief transition period which I feel is necessary especially for such an office.

Another area of government reform which I would propose would be initiating term limits for our Supreme Court justices. A justice serving for as long as he or she likes is unreasonable in Atlasia. My idea would call for a term of six months for each member.
I can't say I find any disagreement at all with those answers, Phil.  Baring any major change in the race, you have my full support!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 08:24:23 PM »

I can't say I find any disagreement at all with those answers, Phil.  Baring any major change in the race, you have my full support!

I thank you for your enthusiastic support, Governor Kramer.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 11:12:05 PM »

So far you have made clear that you would not support switching to a parliamentary system.  Can you outline what manner of government reforms that you will support and/or propose if you become senator?  I assume there must be more to your governmental reform agenda than just imposing term limits on Supreme Court justices. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 11:43:19 PM »

So far you have made clear that you would not support switching to a parliamentary system.  Can you outline what manner of government reforms that you will support and/or propose if you become senator?  I assume there must be more to your governmental reform agenda than just imposing term limits on Supreme Court justices. 

Thanks for the question. I'm loving the participation here.

Other proposals I'd have if elected: term limits for Senators (no more than two, full consecutive terms) and move to FPTP voting system with a runoff in federal elections. The latter issue I hope to champion if elected. We have gone far too long standing by a broken Preferential voting system.

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 02:46:32 PM »

Nice speech Phil.

First set of questions are what are your thoughts on the budget deficit and economic affairs in the upcoming Senate? Would you work to lower the deficit? What are your thoughts on deficit spending?

Second question is do you believe that Silvio Burlusconi is the Jesus Christ of politics? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 02:58:50 PM »

Nice speech Phil.

First set of questions are what are your thoughts on the budget deficit and economic affairs in the upcoming Senate? Would you work to lower the deficit? What are your thoughts on deficit spending?

Second question is do you believe that Silvio Burlusconi is the Jesus Christ of politics? Tongue

Thanks, Mr. Justice. I'd like to answer the last question first here. As we all know, Mr. Berlusconi referred to himself as the Jesus Christ of politics because of the "struggles" he has been through for Italy. While I am rooting for Mr. Berlusconi and his Casa della Liberta coalition in this weekend's elections, I think his remarks were inappropriate. I do hope for a "political resurrection" for Berlusconi this weekend but comparing yourself to Jesus Christ is out of line.

Now for the more serious question. When it comes to spending, sometimes we find ourselves in difficult situations. While I'd support any reasonable measures to lower the deficit and drastically lower deficit spending, we could very well find it necessary to spend while "in the red." This is why I am wary of balanced budget amendments even though I'd be thrilled if we would be granted such each fiscal year.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 06:13:12 PM »

You have my endorsement, Mr. Future Senator.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 09:58:02 PM »

You have my endorsement, Mr. Future Senator.

Wow. I consider that quite an honor but don't call me future Senator just yet.  Wink Thank you for your support and hopefully we'll get the chance to work together.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 11:36:59 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2006, 11:39:40 PM by DanielX »

Does this town hall 'questioning' have 'answerings'? Or are we just going to ask questions to a wall? Grin
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 11:46:31 PM »

Does this town hall 'questioning' have 'answerings'? Or are we just going to ask questions to a wall? Grin

I don't know if that was serious or not.  Tongue  If it was, I think I've answered everything and I'd be happy to answer any other questions.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 11:48:20 PM »

Okay then, do you believe that Ted Kennedy is the Chuck Norris of politics? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »

Okay then, do you believe that Ted Kennedy is the Chuck Norris of politics? Tongue

Actually, yes - both are incredibly annoying.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »

Questions, anyone?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »

As a Senator would you try to advance a socially conservative agenda? Do you believe that things such as abortion should remain regional issues? Do you believe that marriage itself is a federal issue?

As a strong supporter of both preferential voting and the creation of a parliamentary system your lack of support for either of those two positions is keeping me from support you as a candidate. Would such reforms be essential part of your agenda as a Senator? Why do you believe in First Past the Post and the current Presidential system?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »

As a Senator would you try to advance a socially conservative agenda? Do you believe that things such as abortion should remain regional issues? Do you believe that marriage itself is a federal issue?

As a strong supporter of both preferential voting and the creation of a parliamentary system your lack of support for either of those two positions is keeping me from support you as a candidate. Would such reforms be essential part of your agenda as a Senator? Why do you believe in First Past the Post and the current Presidential system?
Let me ask you a question.  What benefits do you see from preferential voting that is not achieved by Gabu's system?  Through his system, we can simplify the process while at the same time preserving choice through a comprehensive runoff system.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 05:31:49 PM »

Yes, I would try to advance a socially conservative agenda and this should come as no surprise. I think pushing issues such as abortion and gay marriage off to the regions can sometimes lead to even more problems. I am not much of a fan when it comes to federal involvement on certain issues but abortion is not one of them. I could accept marriage being left to the states but I'd fight to make abortion a federal issue.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, these are two essential parts of my agenda. I'm not going to try to get around that. I believe in First Past the Post (with a runoff - something I have recently accepted) because I believe the current system hurts candidates. In my opinion, it awards more than one vote to the voter. I am opposed to a Parliamentary system because I am a strong believer in the people having a large role in electing their chief executive whereas the proposed system involves only Senators voting for Prime Minister. Sitting Senators are also the only ones eligible to be elected which I am strongly against.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 04:47:28 PM »

Come on, people. Anymore questions?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 05:02:18 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2006, 10:04:47 PM by Frodo »

Certainly -Keystone, would you consider running for the Northeast regional senate seat recently vacated by Brian from Family Guy?   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »

Certainly -Keystone, are you considering running for the Northeast regional senate seat recently vacated by Brian from Family Guy?   

Yes. I contacted Governor Fezzy, asking him to consider me for the seat.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »

What's your favourite town hall?

Do you prefer town halls to fly just the County Flag and the National Flag, or to include the State/Regonal Flag as well?

Would you say brick, wood or stone is the best material for exterior walls of townhalls?

Is it just me or does the term 'city hall' just sound wrong?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies