Masks are dumb. Here’s why. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:22:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Masks are dumb. Here’s why. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Masks are dumb. Here’s why.  (Read 2971 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:35:26 PM »

So if anything can be worn as a mask, including a bandana, then how effective is this ‘rule’ anyway?

Why am I always right? It’s amazing what critical thinking does. Fauci wrong again. #unmasked #security theater

https://www.studyfinds.org/worst-face-masks-covid-19-bandanas-neck-gaiters-more-harmful-than-no-mask/

This doesn't really pass the smell test, despite the explanation in the article. Let's see if other studies back it up.

While OP is arguing in complete bad faith for the opposite reason that his point should actually make, bandana and jogging masks have actually been proven to make spread more easy by breaking up the droplets into smaller particles.

Proven how?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:25:51 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/11/study-bandanas-and-neck-gaiters-not-effective-as-surgical-face-masks.html

The neck gaiter (No. 11 in the photo below), which was made of polyester spandex material, performed the worst in the study, actually producing more particles than speaking with no face covering at all.

Using a laser and sprayer it's fairly easy to prove. My main reason for pointing this out is while OP is correct in that singular point, it shows we need more stringent mask requirements, not less.

I buy that they're the worst of the coverings studied, but not that they're worse than nothing at all. Creating more droplets doesn't mean they're worse. If you cut a droplet in half, each has half the virus and is half as contagious (if ingested) on its own. Moreover, any covering stops a lot of moisture, and thus virus, from getting through since they get wet when you cough in them. I get the smaller droplets don't fall as easy so it's a matter of which effect wins in terms of actually creating more infections. I have a hard time believing they're worse but will be happy to accept that if more studies back this up.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 12:13:26 AM »

I'm not at all saying they're better than nothing, that there are far better alternatives.

I don't know if you're saying bandanas and neck gaiters are worse than wearing nothing at all, or if they're just really bad at preventing the spread of the virus.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies