I don't think the red one is correct in grammar.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:07:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  I don't think the red one is correct in grammar.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I don't think the red one is correct in grammar.  (Read 153 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2020, 04:58:43 AM »

A Chinese tech company is now the world's third-largest smartphone maker and the world's most valuable start-up. The company is called Xiaomi Inc. It just raised $1.1 billion and is worth $45 billion. That is more than LG, Motorola and Sony put together. Xiaomi is the world's fastest-growing smartphone maker. Its sales went up by 211 per cent last year. Its market share also went up from 2 per cent to 5 per cent. This success will continue.

Xiaomi's business model is to sell phones for what they cost to make. It makes profit from apps and software. Xiaomi has many fans. The company has competitions for fans to win prizes. This makes it very popular. Xiaomi wants to continue to create new, high-quality, high-performance devices, with great user experience.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 09:58:47 AM »

"put together" is idiomatic, meaning "combine" or "combined" depending on the context.  So it's grammatically correct, albeit a little complicate for ESL learners to comprehend. However, it is not nearly as fossilize as "pent up" meaning confined and ready to be released, which uses an archaic irregular past tense of "pen" that is never used outside of idiomatic expressions.

Thus, while one could say, "There was a pent up desire among the residents of the Hundred Acre Wood to no longer be bothered by the nonsensical thoughts of Winnie the Pooh.", one wouldn't say "After overthrowing him, the comrades of the Hundred Acre Wood pent Winnie the Pooh in a cage with widely spaced bars that would let Winnie go free once he was no longer engorged with the honey he had taken from them while in charge."  The correct way to say that would be "After overthrowing him, the comrades of the Hundred Acre Wood penned Winnie the Pooh in a cage with widely spaced bars that would let Winnie go free once he was no longer engorged with the honey he had taken from them while in charge."
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »

^ People always rag on English for being hard to learn, convoluted and illogical, but that honestly serves as an advantage once you're fluent, IMO.  I don't speak any other languages fluently, so I am going off of things I have read and heard from others, but the MANY different ways to say, structure and emphasize a sentence or expression provide so much freedom to express a mood or message.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies