Sen. Jim Bryson enters Gubenatorial Race against Bredesen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:04:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sen. Jim Bryson enters Gubenatorial Race against Bredesen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. Jim Bryson enters Gubenatorial Race against Bredesen  (Read 1910 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:50:04 PM »

Tennessee Republicans rejoice!

I don't think I've ever been as thrilled about a candidate in my life than I am about this:

http://www.brysonforgovernor.org/

State Senator Jim Bryson is a great guy and he will run hard for the office.  He's starting late, admittedly.  Philly Bredesen's support is wide, but it is not deep.

Bryson is sacrificing the state's safest senate seat to put his name and life on the line for the Republican Party.  I am proud to the point of pure bliss.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:15:16 AM »

what is wrong with bredesen?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 09:49:22 AM »

1. He's a poor-hater
He cut the health care services of thousands of the most needy Tennesseans.  Senators Bryson and Black tried to restore health care to those that need it most but Bredesen refused.

2. He's under the yoke of scandals within his office
3. He's a proud part of the Naifeh-Wilder Democrat good-ol-boy network.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:26:51 PM »

Some freak of nature libertarian Democrat, that Bredeson is.  Who was that one democratic state legislature you were talking about Don who opposes him?  Jim Buck?  He should run against Bredeson in the primary.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:28:38 PM »

You're thinking of Frank Buck, and Buck opposes the Democrat culture of corruption in the state legislature under Jimmy Naifeh.

Some freak of nature libertarian Democrat, that Bredeson is.  Who was that one democratic state legislature you were talking about Don who opposes him?  Jim Buck?  He should run against Bredeson in the primary.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 12:00:51 AM »

So what chance does Bryson have of beating Bredesen?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 05:02:54 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2006, 05:13:14 AM by HumanRights® (htmldon) »

Well, its definately an uphill climb.

The ideal time to get into this race would have been September or October of last year.  This is when Bredesen's approval numbers were in the toilet and he was about as unpopular as President Bush among liberals and Democrats. Tongue

The state GOP had done an awesome job of jumping on Bredesen at that time and making a clear path candidates that wanted to jump in while the water was warm.

But Beth Harwell and others flittered around during that time and nobody wanted to step on anyone's toes so they all let Bredesen have time to get his numbers back up a bit.

Philly Bredesen (that's what I call him because he's not from around these parts) currently has a number of advantages.  He has millions of dollars in his campaign treasury and his bank account.  He can throw as much money as he pleases whenever and however he pleases.  Bredesen also has a 60% approval among Republicans and 58% approval among conservatives.  He has had time for Dems to somewhat forget why they hate him, so he's back up to 56% among Dems and 49% approval among liberals. 

Bredesen is, to my knowledge, the only official at that level to have a much higher approval rating among the opposite party than among his own.  He will have to spend some time rallying traditional Democrats.  Blacks may come out to vote for Ford, but could skip voting for Bredesen.

As optimistic as I would like to be, this is still a lean Dem race.  Bryson not only waited late to jump in, but under state law, he can't raise any money until the state Senate session is over.  He'll have to depend entirely on the strength of the state and county Republican organizations to pull him through.

However, Senator Bryson can make lemonade out of lemons and turn these frowny polls upside down.  If we can push Bredesen's liberal side, like how he didn't sign on to the Choose Life license plates, we could collapse his high approvals among Republicans.  I think we can also do some things to remind less-fortunate voters what Bredesen did to them and how Senator Bryson tried to save their coverage.  Bryson will also be helped by the likely Republican victory in the Senate race and the continuing Republicanization of the state.  The anti-gay marriage amendment is also on the ballot.

Tennessee couldn't have a better Governor than Senator Jim Bryson.
But we've got a LOT of work to do, and very little time to get that message out.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 05:25:41 PM »

Sacrificial lamb, but at least he has name recognition.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »

don raises a good point.  I'd actually consider some Republicans over Bredesen such as Giuliani or Snowe.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies