Political views of people who exercise regularly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:26:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Political views of people who exercise regularly
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political views of people who exercise regularly  (Read 543 times)
Tiger08
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »

Was thinking about this question. I know that a lot of the fittest cities in America are very blue and that many red rural areas have high obesity rates. However, I know a lot of Republicans view themselves as strong/tough and stereotype young urbanites as weak "snowflakes." What way do you think people who exercise frequently lean politically? Do people who focus on different types of fitness (Crossfitters vs triathletes vs yoga vs very basic weightlifting/cardio, etc) lean different ways politically?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »

Well crossfitters tend to be younger so I guess that's a Leaning Democratic group, but they're also usually wealthier then your average tom dick or harry.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 01:13:05 PM »

There's probably a very dumb stereotype out there about Democrats doing cardio and Republicans lifting weights. I hope it's not true but I'm not optimistic. That said, it may well be that type of exercise counts. It also may be that weight-lifting is not associated with the same health outcomes as other forms of exercise.

Power lifting has had a white supremacist problem in the past.

One might expect that it differ by country. In Ukraine it was found that supporters of the Orange Revolution were more likely to be involved in civil society, whereas opponents were more likely to exercise regularly.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 10:59:48 PM »

the only real correlation I personally know about this is that I'm sorta friends with one chick who is always at the gym more than anybody else I know and she's a super religious hardcore conservative sooooo....
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 11:33:33 PM »

Runners are liberals and weightlifters/bodybuilders are conservative. People who workout to be fit/healthy are liberal, while those who do to be strong and alpha are conservatives.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »

There are ripped people on both sides.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »

I guess it depends on the exercise. I can see runners being more liberal/Democratic and weightlifters being more conservative/Republican. However, when it comes to dieting and healthy eating as part of exercise that demographic is almost assuredly on the left somewhere overall. Let's not forget about how Michelle Obama's initiative to improve the nutrition of school lunches somehow became a culture war issue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies