Racist Hicks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 10:45:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Racist Hicks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Racist Hicks  (Read 1271 times)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2020, 07:20:13 AM »

Hope this story about a small town in SmythCounty, Virginia finds IceSpear when he comes out of hibernation
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:29:58 PM »

Hope this story about a small town in SmythCounty, Virginia finds IceSpear when he comes out of hibernation
Remember that Some people would rather have these areas be the Democratic base, than the vote rich suburbs of TX and GA.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 01:45:30 PM »

Remember that Some people would rather have these areas be the Democratic base, than the vote rich suburbs of TX and GA.

The fetishization of "WWC voters" and "rural voters" here is a sight to behold. I don't understand it one bit.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »

The fetishization of "WWC voters" and "rural voters" here is a sight to behold. I don't understand it one bit.

Those two terms are not at all interchangeable. Democrats can make serious gains among the former in suburbs and medium to small cities like Warren and Erie. For a variety of cultural reasons, trying to invest heavily in winning back rural voters that Democrats really didn't really have for the last 20 years is a waste.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 02:57:06 PM »

Those two terms are not at all interchangeable. Democrats can make serious gains among the former in suburbs and medium to small cities like Warren and Erie. For a variety of cultural reasons, trying to invest heavily in winning back rural voters that Democrats really didn't really have for the last 20 years is a waste.

Of course, although I would consider "working class" to be a near meaningless term, at least in the context of the US. A nurse, a farmer, a teacher, a firefighter, a meatpacker, and a cashier are all "working class" but some of these people having savings accounts while others are on the SNAP.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »

Democrats don't need to abandon WWC voters en masse....they should try to get 3 or 4/10 out of them
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 03:09:56 PM »

Democrats don't need to abandon WWC voters en masse....they should try to get 3 or 4/10 out of them

What is considered WWC?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »

How about neither?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 04:29:01 PM »

Can they win the non-Fundamentalist Christian WWC?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »

Can they win the non-Fundamentalist Christian WWC?

They did until 2016 (just look at a religion map of Iowa). But what you need to realize is that alt-centrists on the form insist on viewing the nation as San Francisco and West Virginia with nothing else existing.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »

How about neither?
Why?

A party that is supposed to be center-left should not base it's existence around voters who favor maintaining income inequality because they benefit from it; but also because Sun Belt suburbs favor a hawkish foreign policy because defense pork benefits the region so much. See Biden play the "tough on defense" card over and over has been very unfortunate.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 04:59:00 PM by money printer go brrr »

Stories about rural small towns filled with poor, uneducated, racist white people are apparently like crack to educated liberals.

This story was written for an audience of people that is simultaneously guilty/insecure and needs someone to look down their nose upon. I am not surprised that a story like this was published in the Washington Post nor am I surprised that this is being shared on this forum.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 05:03:43 PM »

Stories about rural small towns filled with poor, uneducated, racist white people are apparently like crack to educated liberals.

This story was written for an audience of people that is simultaneously guilty/insecure and needs someone to look down their nose upon. I am not surprised that a story like this was published in the Washington Post nor am I surprised that this is being shared on this forum.

How else would the coastal elites show off their moral high horse? This article has been written 2029478494 times since 2016, always mentioning a run down diner
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »

How else would the coastal elites show off their moral high horse? This article has been written 2029478494 times since 2016, always mentioning a run down diner

Self-flagellation and performative contempt in response to pieces like these are how white progressives demonstrate that they belong in polite society. It's a form of etiquette to demonstrate that you are one of "the good ones" - you aren't poor, you have a college degree, you get along with your few non-white coworkers, you agree with the new emerging consensus that this is the way all white Americans outside of Berkeley, Boulder, Cambridge, and Arlington behave.

(ignore the fact that many small cities in southwest Virginia along the I-81 corridor held well-attended BLM protests after the Floyd murder - stories like the one in OP are of course reflective of the true America).
͘
RandomInternetUser
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 06:24:46 PM »

Democrats aren't going to win West Virginia again like this.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »

Democrats don't want to win WV.  They want to win AZ and TX.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 08:41:57 PM »

Democrats dont want to can't win WV.  They want to can win AZ and TX.

corrected
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 08:53:06 PM »

Democrats dont want to don’t need to win WV.  They want to can win AZ and TX.

corrected

FTFY
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 10:59:05 PM »

How about neither?
Why?

A party that is supposed to be center-left should not base it's existence around voters who favor maintaining income inequality because they benefit from it; but also because Sun Belt suburbs favor a hawkish foreign policy because defense pork benefits the region so much. See Biden play the "tough on defense" card over and over has been very unfortunate.
What evidence is there that these voters want to maintain income inequality? Income inequality is not in a suburban voter's best interest for many reasons.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 09:32:22 AM »

Here's a bit of a counter story from Hanover County, VA what was a rural county that became a wealthy exurban county of the Richmond area, but still wouldn't change the name of the Lee-Davis High School (the "Confederates").  Lee-Davis was actually created in 1959, four years after segregation had been ruled against the law in public education by the Supreme Court.  There actually was a surge in schools being named after Confederates in this time period, sort of like animals peeing to mark their territory.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-town-divided-over-high-school-and-its-confederate-mascot-183517675.html

Sad to read all the racist tropes trotted out to defend the school name.  A week after this story ran, the Hanover School Board voted 4-3 to change Lee-Davis and Stonewall Jackson Jr High's names. 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »

What is considered WWC?

People like me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2020, 09:52:54 AM by Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More »

What is considered WWC?

People like me.
Who are you?

Anyways, it’s very simple. We don’t care who are voters are as long as enough of them believe in and hopefully benefit from Democratic policies. If there are voters who will only vote for us because of abortion, fine. If there are voters who won’t vote for us because of abortion, fine. They will probably be disappointed.

The main issue isn’t abortion or anything like that. It really shouldn’t even be about civil rights in general outside of the main the main issue. The main issue is whether or not it’s efficient or fair to run the country like a high rent, low wage college town. How fair is it to have to work more something we need in order to work in the first place? To have these types of barriers to entry? How much more growth does each dollar given to someone who doesn’t need it generate? Income inequality is like that Alanis Morissette song “Ironic”. 10000 spoons...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 11:48:54 AM »

Extremely racially segregated suburbs, the existence of which has played (continues to play) a huge role in maintaining the inequalities and brutalities (including and especially police brutality) that blight and limit the lives of so many Black Americans. A political party can seek votes wherever it chooses, but the section of American society you highlight as comparatively innocent as regards this particular issue is nothing of the sort.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »

Extremely racially segregated suburbs, the existence of which has played (continues to play) a huge role in maintaining the inequalities and brutalities (including and especially police brutality) that blight and limit the lives of so many Black Americans. A political party can seek votes wherever it chooses, but the section of American society you highlight as comparatively innocent as regards this particular issue is nothing of the sort.
Like I said, whoever thinks that this is bad should vote for those who also think it is bad. There's a lot of people today who don't want what they have to do.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 10:38:37 AM »

I feel that some people would claim that the majority of American voters are racist. Well, if that's true, then Democrats definitely need at least some racist voters to win.

With that said, I do not care through which route Democrats win, but I feel that if we reach the point where people with high socioeconomic status very consistently vote centre-left and vice versa, there will be (bad) consequences. Some of you may argue that that point has already arrived, to be honest.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies