Canada investigating "hate crime" for graffiti on SS war monument
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:08:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada investigating "hate crime" for graffiti on SS war monument
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada investigating "hate crime" for graffiti on SS war monument  (Read 630 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »

Uh, why the f[inks] did Canada have an SS monument up in the first place? Tear that f[inks]er down!
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »

Obviously because it's "Galicia" Division's monument. Many ukrainians commeromate soldiers of 14th SS division as freedom fighters. And US/Canadian-ukrainian diaspora is especially nationalistic.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »

Obviously because it's "Galicia" Division's monument. Many ukrainians commeromate soldiers of 14th SS division as freedom fighters. And US/Canadian-ukrainian diaspora is especially nationalistic.

Yea, the Baltic states were enthusiastic supporters of the crusade against Bolshevism, and willingly joined the SS against the USSR. Eastern Europe has a very dark and complicated history in WW2.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »

I agree with BRTD here that the monument should be torn down. Fascists shouldn’t be venerated.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »

I agree with BRTD here that the monument should be torn down. Fascists shouldn’t be venerated.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:37:47 AM »

Yea, the Baltic states were enthusiastic supporters of the crusade against Bolshevism, and willingly joined the SS against the USSR. Eastern Europe has a very dark and complicated history in WW2.

Not just E Europe though - every occupied country gave significant numbers of willing collaborators.
Omega21

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 11:02:53 AM »

Not just E Europe though - every occupied country gave significant numbers of willing collaborators.

Not true really.

I only know for the Balkans, but the only ones who served under the Nazis were either the Bosniak Muslim SS division or the Ustase. There was no Montenegrins, Macedonians or Serbians in Nazi Ranks. Which is kind of to be expected seeing as a lot of them were exterminated along with Jews and Roma in Jasenovac and similar camps.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 10:13:25 PM »

Not true really.

I only know for the Balkans, but the only ones who served under the Nazis were either the Bosniak Muslim SS division or the Ustase. There was no Montenegrins, Macedonians or Serbians in Nazi Ranks. Which is kind of to be expected seeing as a lot of them were exterminated along with Jews and Roma in Jasenovac and similar camps.

The Četniks in certain campaigns gave tactical support to the Nazis in their campaigns in the Balkans, no?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 07:36:53 AM »

Yes, and there was also a collaborationist Serb regime based in Belgrade - which was, btw, one of the first major cities outside Germany to declare itself "Jew free".
Omega21

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 07:42:44 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 07:48:44 AM by Omega21 »

Not true really.

The Četniks in certain campaigns gave tactical support to the Nazis in their campaigns in the Balkans, no?

Oh yeah, but it was more going after their own goals such as killing Partisans than serving/collaborating with the Nazis.

Sometimes they fought them, sometimes they were on the same side, depending on the situation and the strategic goals at that time and place.

Either way, pieces of s**t

Yes, and there was also a collaborationist Serb regime based in Belgrade - which was, btw, one of the first major cities outside Germany to declare itself "Jew free".

You do know the only reason Yugoslavia was invaded was that the people in Belgrade took to the street under the motto "Better a grave than a slave", overthrew the Govt and annulled the treaty with Germany, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »

Yes I am aware of the circumstances of why Nazi Germany invaded Yugoslavia.

It does not alter the truth of what I wrote. Quite apart from the sometimes dubious activities of the Chetniks (as related above) there were Serbs who openly collaborated, as with virtually all other nationalities (Poland was maybe the only possible exception)

You appear to have absorbed a load of Milosovic/Karadzic era propaganda.
Omega21

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »

Yes I am aware of the circumstances of why Nazi Germany invaded Yugoslavia.

It does not alter the truth of what I wrote. Quite apart from the sometimes dubious activities of the Chetniks (as related above) there were Serbs who openly collaborated, as with virtually all other nationalities (Poland was maybe the only possible exception)

You appear to have absorbed a load of Milosovic/Karadzic era propaganda.

First, I wasn't even alive back then lol, second both are massive HPs.

Now, what I was referring to was that you can in no way compare the Ustase, and the Serb Govt of National Salvation.

One was a massive killing machine that literally invented a special kind of knife to gut Serbs, Roma and Jews, the other was a group of opportunistic fascist bigots who had no real power and did some things the Germans told em to, such as rounding up people and handing them over to the Germans.

The "Govt" itself did not carry out 99% of the crimes in the country.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 04:06:25 AM »

Unsurprisingly, Ukrainian-Canadian Congress doubled down on monument's defense. https://mobile.twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1285056458254680064
Sometimes i have feeling that diaspora radicalizes ukrainian public opinion, not other way around.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 04:25:18 AM »

Take it down, simple as.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »

There's a similar memorial in South River, NJ for a specific Ukrainian collaborator. Can't remember his name.

It's probably the only memorial to a Nazi (aside from Von Braun, but that's a different story) in all of the United States. Though since it's on the grounds of a Ukrainian orthodox church it's technically private property so I don't believe the gov't can compel them to take it down
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »

Unsurprisingly, Ukrainian-Canadian Congress doubled down on monument's defense. https://mobile.twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1285056458254680064
Sometimes i have feeling that diaspora radicalizes ukrainian public opinion, not other way around.

Hopefully the next Nazi warning get painted on their headquarters in Winnipeg.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies