Preferred method of taking communion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:10:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Preferred method of taking communion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Preferred method of taking communion
Breaking a piece of bread off and dipping it in wine

Receiving a little wafer and little cup of wine

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Preferred method of taking communion  (Read 1670 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »

Option 1 obviously. Those little wafers are awful. Although I'll take them over the cubes of gluten free bread my church uses in one communion station (and for the whole church on some days when distributing communion amongst the crowd instead of in a line.)

Since church went online I've been using sliced bread and vodka.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:37:25 PM »

bread, preferably homemade, and water.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »

The Russian Orthodox way (which so far as I experienced, involves the former) is cool, but as a non-member I an relegated to taking the Eucharist the mainstream Catholic way.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 04:22:33 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2020, 04:28:33 PM by Battista Minola 1616 »

What!?
I am always stunned by the number of things in Christianity regarding which I grew up believing the Catholic way to do them was the only way and instead I find out that different Protestant churches have a gajillion different ways of doing them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 12:45:24 PM »

Tearing the bread, but a little cup of grape juice. - a good Methodist
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 10:29:25 PM »

I prefer intinction over common cup for sanitary reasons.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 12:56:17 AM »

I attended an in person church service this morning for the first time in months (wearing a mask of course, as did about half the congregation.) Communion was distributed in tiny little packets consisting of a tiny wafer in a plastic seal above a very small cup of grape juice. Not my favorite method of course but understandable now. This (Lutheran) church usually does the first method at their contemporary services and the wafers at their traditional ones for whatever reason, it's the church of my upbringing and my family attended both styles.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »

I prefer intinction over common cup for sanitary reasons.
For what it's worth, most I've read suggests the other way — people often (unintentionally) dip their fingers into the cup while intincting, making it more likely to spread germs than if everyone drank from the cup.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »

The Russian Orthodox way (which so far as I experienced, involves the former) is cool, but as a non-member I an relegated to taking the Eucharist the mainstream Catholic way.

The former is an okay description of how we do it. What we do specifically, for the information of those in this thread, is cut the bread into small pieces and suspend them in hot wine, with the priest spoonfeeding it to the faithful. I like the Orthodox way of doing it and prefer BRTD's way from the options given, because it reminds us of Paul's exhortation to the Corinthians, "For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 12:22:36 PM »

The former is an okay description of how we do it. What we do specifically, for the information of those in this thread, is cut the bread into small pieces and suspend them in hot wine, with the priest spoonfeeding it to the faithful. I like the Orthodox way of doing it and prefer BRTD's way from the options given, because it reminds us of Paul's exhortation to the Corinthians, "For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread."

My first time at an ROC service I mistakenly took communion because, per my recollection, Catholics were supposed to be able to take the Eucharist anywhere. Tongue At your church, is there a small table one approaches after receiving communion, at which there is additional bread and wine? Such was my experience and it struck me as rather odd.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »

The correct way to take communion is to have it lodge itself on roof of your mouth and to have to discretely vibrate your tongue to dislodge it, then walk quickly to the back of the chapel, past the bouncer like presence of the man with the box for St Vincent de Paul and don't make eye contact with the two dozen other parishioners making a break for it.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 04:16:44 PM »

Option 1.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 02:17:35 AM »

My first time at an ROC service I mistakenly took communion because, per my recollection, Catholics were supposed to be able to take the Eucharist anywhere. Tongue At your church, is there a small table one approaches after receiving communion, at which there is additional bread and wine? Such was my experience and it struck me as rather odd.

Yes, it is normal that there is a table to take more bread and wine when you are done. It's kind of inconvenient in this age of social distancing, since the natural tendency is for people to crowd around this table. I usually take them and ingest them as quickly as possible on my way back to my position in the congregation.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 03:59:41 AM »

I attend a nondenominational Gen Z church where we just mainline holy water.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »

When I was a practicing Catholic, I only did method 2. I also would weirdly just let the wafer dissolve in my mouth and then swallowed the semi-liquid remains. I was not a very smart or conscientious kid.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »

WI: Receiving a piece of bread and a little cup of wine
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 08:09:52 PM »

If your conscience does not object to receiving communion at other churches, then you need not object. (Excepting, of course, if your conscience demands you listen to others’s teaching.) The idea of a non open communion has always seemed strange to me.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

"Drink my little bread and have my little cracker"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length