The Popular Times: (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:12:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Popular Times: (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Popular Times:  (Read 2692 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« on: July 16, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »

Giving that I won't be in a elected position for a while, I might start this, as I want to document the mess that is Atlasia. Every issue will come once or twice a week with emergency ones if something important happens. The Popular Times will be a Democratic Alliance leaning newspaper which will focus on news across Atlasia and in discord.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 09:36:54 PM »

Due to personal issues today, I will release the first issue next sunday.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »

ELECTION REPORT
HOUSE UNKNOWN? LINCOLN SENATOR JIMMY OR BLAIR 

NYMAN DC- The results were unexpected for everyone, and as some people put it, a "realigning election", and that is because of the rise of the Democratic Alliance and the Greens. The former was a party formed by mainly moderate Labor and Federalist members, and has been called a "centrist" party. The Green Party was formed by Koopa Diane Quick, but however, many left wingers joined the party, and some say, "hijacked it", and Koopa left. However, the party's growth is from former Labor zombies and left wingers. The results were, 3 seats for the Federalist, with Congressman Joseph Cao winning re-election, he is considered to be a future presidential nominee and the future of the Federalist Party, Delegate Spark498 winning a seat in the house, and Mrs. Jessica winning a seat, the latter becoming the first woman to be elected to the House since former President fhtagn, and most of Jessica's votes are from the ACP wing, which fhtagn is part of. For Labor, they elected Mr. FalterinArc, and re-elected Congressmen SevenEleven, and Congressman Ted Bessell, who has been elected to Fremont Senator. However, the unofficial Labor leader in the House, Gracile, has lost re-election, in a upset, with most predicting that Ted Bessell would lose re-election if someone lost it. The Democratic Alliance elected Mr. Beeman, widely expected to be the future of the Democratic Alliance, in a place filled with people known as "has beens". The Greens elected former Councilor Lakigigar, who is the third "leader" in the Green Party. In the Senate, in the South, Senator Yankee has won re-election in a landslide, defeating Congressman Razze and former delegate The Shadowy Abyss, and in Fremont, Congressman Ted Bessell defeated Citizen King T'Chenka and in a write in campaign started by MP ASV, clips were released today of MP-elect. PSOL telling MP ASV to die in a ditch, due to vote spliting. In the region of Lincoln, in the most hotly contested election for a while, Senator Jimmy7812 is in a tie with former President Blair, and two voters invalidated their ballot because of Labor Chairman MB, and the election will likely be taken to the Supreme Court.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 08:53:10 AM »

A Editorial about NPC Elections

I believe that only regional parties should participate in the NPC elections? Why? Because there would be campaigning by the regional parties instead of regional parties tying themselves to the national party, because there are no regional parties running on their own and as a result, the elections result in the only coalitions formed are National Party with National Party instead of regional parties forming coalitions with other regional parties, and with those being interesting instead of the Feds/DA/Liberal with maybe Greens and Labor maybe with the Greens.

I hope that in the version 2.0 of the NPC elections, that Lumine will only allow regional parties to run instead of the national parties as I believe that the NPC elections for be better because of that.

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »

Comment below on what you think of this editorial.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 09:29:56 AM »

Yeah I fully oppose including the regional parties in this. To be honest I've never quite liked their concept and like Truman says they serve as vanity concepts and sources for memes.

You dare insult my Workers' Advancement Party?
You aren't registered under the Worker's Advancement Party and you have to campaign to have a impact.
If anyone should be excluded, it's the regional parties, which are basically just vanity projects and/or memes and always have been. (I say this as the proud founder and president of Fianna Frémont.)
I remember after the NPC elections started, a lot of people started to found regional parties and have their own NPC election thread before they realized that they could ally with their national parties.

The minute I read this I got a sick feeling because this brings back a lot of bad memories. We have something new that holds a lot of potential, a lot of people are excited about it and now we are going to have a discussion about who we can exclude from it.

Its like I said in Lincoln, the same applies here. Rather than trying to change the rules to game out a desired outcome, what we should be doing is figuring out to make this sustainable ie existing beyond Lumine's Tenure as GM. RL happens, things change and so we need to be prepared for that, this could be a great aspect of the game, assuming we don't set out to exclude people from it, and we should work to make sure it can continue and/or split up the load somehow.

I also worry that this may be motivated by Labor dominance in Fremont, relative to the other regions where things are much more competitive and I frankly am tired of eating it as Feds because people are mad at Labor and we get lumped together as national parties.  

If a rule applies only to the Labor Party, I believe that a rule should apply to all other parties, because it would be unfair.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 09:40:43 AM »

First of all, I strongly appreciate the editorial and am strongly in favor of people commenting on the process, making suggestions/proposals, and so on, public response really helps improve the whole thing even if there's only so many things I can implement (there are changes to be made to "Version 1.0" that are being considered, but being truthful I'm kind of at my limit in terms of detail and time I can invest).

On a more personal note, and as I said on the original proposal thread, I do disagree with turning the process over to regional parties. It would certainly add a different dynamic if more regional parties stood on its own or, alternatively, campaigned whilst being part of an alliance (only a couple of regional parties aligned with a national did this in August), but ultimately regional parties are unsustainable as an exclusive model for simulated elections.

I know there's historical precedents in a way - if memory serves right, Canada has different provincial and national parties -, but: A. regional parties only involve a small minority registered in them; B. it's much easier to determine state and regional trends by using the national parties, which tend to last much longer; C. the process itself is far more inclusive as it's theoretically open to almost all players (with the notable and regrettable exception of independents, which thankfully hasn't been a problem thus far).

There is a counter-argument in that making this system exclusively for regional parties you could boost their membership as people who want to contest would presumably register for those, but I think the system would lose important dynamics, including a significant part of the process for calculating results. More importantly, I think the presence of national parties on the process has raised the stakes (so to speak), to the point in which the apparent emotional investment comes as a - welcome - surprise.

That, of course, is not to say regional parties should be invisible, but a part of their less prominent role in August is arguably related to the lack of campaigning within those parties. I'd like to think Poirot and the Liberals - to give an example - have proved that you don't really need to have 100 people in a party to do well in an NPC contest.

Always happy to hear proposals to see how regional parties can be more involved in the process though, but I can rule out this specific concept for the time being. And, of course, thanks for the feedback!
Thank you for responding, because I thought about it and I joined the Liberals! I'm fine if the system stays the same because I want the NPC elections to be still there after most of the players leave the game.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 08:30:17 PM »

Fight Between President Pro Tempore North Carolina Yankee and President Pericles on Discord

NYMAN DC- A couple days ago, President Pericles yelled at Yankee about how the Feds don't have any ideological principle, and the argument turned to how the Federalist nominee was Koopa and Siren, both non right wingers and how embracingly is was to nominate them and Junior Senator Louisville Thunder of the South (F-KY) pointed out how Labor doesn't care about ideology and only cares about winning, leading to Senior Senator and President Pro Tempore North Carolina Yankee of the South (F-NC) daring Labor to ask what is the ideology of the Feds, leading to a discussion where Louisville Thunder called President Pericles (L-MN) a "basement dweller" and asked when the President would get out of the basement and get laid. During it, President Pericles said he didn't trust Ninja showing his lack of judgement as he has supported Ninja in the past.

Thought I'd endorsed you in this thread. Anyway, 100% Endorsed, Ninja will bring fresh leadership and change to Atlasia!

No regrets for voting for you. Best of luck with your future in Atlasia.

After a while, Vice President Chair MB (L-NMI) found out the answer and he said "regionalism", and President Pericles ignored these statements, and Senator Yankee started to rant about how hard it is to do things as a Federalist and President Pericles in his smug form said that there could be someone that is a right winger and can win, when the last recruit was in August 15th, 1 1/2 month ago and President Pericles called the Feds a "joke party", despite the fact labor has over 100 people.  Senator Yankee yelled about how the Left would collapse under the current conditions of thde right, and how Yankee has tried to get more people involved with the NPC Elections.

Onlookers saw rhat Yankee was very angry.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 06:44:27 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2020, 06:48:32 AM by Ishan »

You really think votes from years ago matter right now? Well, Ishan voted for me in the February 2019 Senate primary, so by that logic he has no authority to criticise me now. Absurd and unfair, right?
I oppose primarying people in primaries because they supported someone in the Presidential race.

I might have been PMed the booth shown by the late zombie voters that voted for you. I don't know that because I moronically deleted my PMs from June 2018-June 2019 for some reason.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 07:08:27 AM »

For lfromnj, 4 Pyro voters invalidated their ballots on accident, and many of the left leaning voters that voted for him joined the DA so I doubt the election results would change much if he was still active. He did well, but I doubt that he would do the same performance in another election as Labor would try to get the voters that he won had he won.

I'm pretty sure that Yankee is trying hard on conservacord as he is trying to get people to campaign and he and LT probably is trying to recruit, I'm pretty sure that LT said that they are doing/considering doing off-site recruiting.

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »

Also, having to do all of the GOTVing work and trying to get voters is very exhausting and tiring, especially if you are trying to flip voters.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 07:20:45 AM »

Demographics- the fact that you mention education in passing belies the reality. That is everything right there and throw in the higher rate of secularism and yes LGBT and you realize that we don't have the "White Guys" that exist in the context of American Politics, where 30% of them are Evangelicals and a bunch more are secular populists who hate the left because of "reasons" (race, trade what have you). This at a time when the right has doubled down IRL on said demographics at the expense of you guessed it, college educated young people. Guess who dominates this forum, "College Educated/Bound, Secular, White Males".

Well I basically skipped over the education part less so because it doesn't matter and more because it is hard to apply in any meaningful way when a significant amount of the site are literal teenagers and a majority is below "college graduation age" (ie 22 or 23 years old)

Are you implying that the young conservatives are mostly the kids that fail academically in HS? Tongue Because high school, by virtue of being mandatory, should in theory have plenty of conservatives. (especially white men in HS, though Atlas also skews more LGBT & secular)

I do notice we have very few posters, that did/do not plan on going to college but rather do some sort of apprenticeship or even work straight out of HS.

If you want to bring in religion into the mix, I do remember how Catholics were actually the most right wing religious demographic in Atlasia in Griffin's exit polls, not evangelicals surprisingly.
Well I basically skipped over the education part less so because it doesn't matter and more because it is hard to apply in any meaningful way when a significant amount of the site are literal teenagers and a majority is below "college graduation age" (ie 22 or 23 years old)
Let's face it, after we complete High School, we will go to college and we are all middle class.
Are you implying that the young conservatives are mostly the kids that fail academically in HS? Tongue Because high school, by virtue of being mandatory, should in theory have plenty of conservatives. (especially white men in HS, though Atlas also skews more LGBT & secular)
I doubt that there are many young conservatives that are interested in politics that are interested to argue in a echo chamber. Also, many young conservatives are white, christian and not part of the LBGT+ spectrum
If you want to bring in religion into the mix, I do remember how Catholics were actually the most right wing religious demographic in Atlasia in Griffin's exit polls, not evangelicals surprisingly. 

Online Catholics I guess
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 08:48:45 PM »

Since I have the energy to do this, I'll do a couple articles semi-regularly.

Shocking Fremont Election

DENVER CO- The results of the November 2020 Fremont elections were published today in the First Minister's office and the low voter turnout and candidates was shocking. Incumbent First Minister Harry S Truman won the First Ministership, MP Scott won the Senate election, and MP/Representative Oregon Blue Dog and MP Siren under a write in and newcomer Battista Minola 1616 won the seats to Parliament. The amount of candidates was shocking as the last time there was 3 candidates on the ballot was June 2017, more then 3 years ago. The Fremont right has not ran a candidate which has never happened before in the entirety of Fremont's history and barely turned out with only one right winger voting, former President Goldwater and none of the established leaders of the Fremont right voting. The left's turnout was pretty low, with most votes coming from important people in the Labor Party. The last time around this turnout happened was before the current constitution in Fremont happened in September 2016.

The results might indicate a turn for the worst in Fremont, or it might be a minor point in the historybooks, but who knows?

This is back for a while
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 10:35:28 AM »

"I have returned"
YT Runs with former Rival for President
First YT Cult Reunited?

In all seriousness, there will be a article soon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies