Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:04:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian  (Read 3321 times)
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2020, 05:58:37 AM »

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ted-cruz-future-of-conservatism-is-populist-and-libertarian

Sen. Ted Cruz said the future of conservatism after President Trump leaves office can be both populist and libertarian.

The Texas Republican weighed on ideological debates among conservatives, saying the future of conservative politics can be a combination of libertarian beliefs and populism during a Tuesday interview with the Washington Examiner about his podcast, The Verdict, co-hosted by conservative commentator Michael Knowles.

"I think properly understood, those concepts are complementary, and they're not antagonistic. So I am a conservative, an unabashed conservative. I'm also a populist. I am deeply a populist," Cruz began. "And I also have deep libertarian principles. Look, if you're protecting liberty, that is the foundation of our country. That is the foundation of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. When it comes to populism, I think the most fundamental and important shifts in the last decade in politics is that Republicans have become the party of the working class."

The idea of conservatism "conserving" libertarian beliefs, or classical liberalism, has recently been challenged by some writers. Sohrab Ahmari, a conservative opinion editor for the New York Post, advocated for a "common good" conservatism in May 2019. In an opinion piece for religious publication First Things, he wrote, "Here is the problem: The movement we are up against prizes autonomy above all, too; indeed, its ultimate aim is to secure for the individual will the widest possible berth to define what is true and good and beautiful, against the authority of tradition."

The rest is in the article
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 06:46:24 AM »

Read full article, saw nothing programmatic, which is unsurprising but disappointing.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »

Quite a few working class neighborhoods here in Atlanta that gave Trump 2% of the vote and will likely give him even less in November. But sure Ted, the GOP is the the party of the working class now.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »

Quite a few working class neighborhoods here in Atlanta that gave Trump 2% of the vote and will likely give him even less in November. But sure Ted, the GOP is the the party of the working class now.

Atlanta is 50 percent black.......and not rural america...

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:48:25 AM »

Didn't realize you had to be white and live in the country to be working class. Thank you for enlightening me.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 12:34:21 PM »

Didn't realize you had to be white and live in the country to be working class. Thank you for enlightening me.

Im pretty sure by working class he means rural america fam. And using a city with a black majority to dispute ted's point is insane.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 12:43:41 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2020, 12:50:10 PM by Horus »

Im pretty sure by working class he means rural america fam. And using a city with a black majority to dispute ted's point is insane.

Okay then. How about all those Italian farmers in Youngstown who swung massively towards Trump? What about ranchers in suburban Scranton?

Rural America has never and will never equal working class. If Cruz meant rural America he should've used a better term. Trump has increased the GOP's appeal to the working class. But to claim the GOP is the party of the working class or  to claim he meant rural areas, when most of the working class is not rural and much of rural America not working class, is not sensible.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »

Ah yes, principled libertarian Ted Cruz.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »

Okay then. How about all those Italian farmers in Youngstown who swung massively towards Trump? What about ranchers in suburban Scranton?

Rural America has never and will never equal working class. If Cruz meant rural America he should've used a better term. Trump has increased the GOP's appeal to the working class. But to claim the GOP is the party of the working class or  to claim he meant rural areas, when most of the working class is not rural and much of rural America not working class, is not sensible.

You are talking bout one specific ethnic group to make an unreasonable point when you could just simply say

"To claim the GOP is the party of the working class or  to claim he meant rural areas, when most of the working class is not rural and much of rural America not working class, is not sensible"

We clearly have two different outlooks on working class people. You are being dense for no reason at all. Ted clearly meant the future. It would be like you saying dems are the party of the suburbs now when technically it's just the suburbs trending d
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2020, 01:34:55 PM by Horus »

Rural America has never and will never equal working class. If Cruz meant rural America he should've used a better term. Trump has increased the GOP's appeal to the working class. But to claim the GOP is the party of the working class or  to claim he meant rural areas, when most of the working class is not rural and much of rural America not working class, is not sensible.

You are talking bout one specific ethnic group to make an unreasonable point when you could just simply say

"To claim the GOP is the party of the working class or  to claim he meant rural areas, when most of the working class is not rural and much of rural America not working class, is not sensible"

We clearly have two different outlooks on working class people. You are being dense for no reason at all. Ted clearly meant the future. It would be like you saying dems are the party of the suburbs now when technically it's just the suburbs trending d

Why do you have such a hard time describing poor or lower middle class (that's what working class means btw, not just down on his luck farmer John and Christian at the Piggly wiggly distribution plant) city dwellers as workers? Is their work not noble or "productive" enough for your liking?

And I don't think you should be calling anyone dense with your posting history. Yeeesh
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 01:43:34 PM »

Rural America has never and will never equal working class. If Cruz meant rural America he should've used a better term. Trump has increased the GOP's appeal to the working class. But to claim the GOP is the party of the working class or  to claim he meant rural areas, when most of the working class is not rural and much of rural America not working class, is not sensible.

"To claim the GOP is the party of the working class or  to claim he meant rural areas, when most of the working class is not rural and much of rural America not working class, is not sensible"

Why do you have such a hard time describing poor or lower middle class (that's what working class means btw, not just down on his luck farmer John and Christian at the Piggly wiggly distribution plant) city dwellers as workers? Is their work not noble or "productive" enough for your liking?

And I don't think you should be calling anyone dense with your posting history. Yeeesh

Well im sure ted wasn't referring to a poor person in black majority atlanta when he said working class
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »

Well im sure ted wasn't referring to a poor person in black majority atlanta when he said working class

Cruz never struck me as the white grievance type. He only sees green.

Either way his definition is wrong.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 03:20:57 PM »

Which is part of the problem that the Republican party face moving forward. I think you're right when you say Cruz was referring to white working class voters, but that's not going to be a winning coalition moving forward, as the voting power of non-white communities grow, and over time it will really not enough tp keep the party competitive at a national level. It's also bad for their messaging, that both of us read that article and knew he meant WWC voters, which I think would be perceived by many other voters as well.

I also don't know if the GOP can really do much better with WWC voters than they did in 2016, and I certainly don't think those voters were mobilized or convinced by any noticeable libertarian steak in Trump. His rhetoric in 2016 often had authoritarian tones, broadly speaking, and it was often pretty up front.

I do prefer Cruz's view for the party as opposed to say Hawley's, but I don't know that libertarianism (or a GOP version of it) fused with populism is going to win the day. The two often are in conflict, though I do see Cruz's point that they can compliment each other in some cases.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 05:06:48 PM »

Ted Cruz at war with the English language. Sad.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 05:16:29 PM »

k
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 05:47:22 PM »

Populism and libertarianism are about as opposed to each other as it gets.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 12:55:58 AM »

Very true. Most people want to leech off of your success while simultaneously telling you what you can and can't do with your personal life. That's why the mob must be resisted at all costs.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 05:07:32 AM »

Not true.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 05:10:45 AM »

Which is part of the problem that the Republican party face moving forward. I think you're right when you say Cruz was referring to white working class voters, but that's not going to be a winning coalition moving forward, as the voting power of non-white communities grow, and over time it will really not enough tp keep the party competitive at a national level. It's also bad for their messaging, that both of us read that article and knew he meant WWC voters, which I think would be perceived by many other voters as well.

I also don't know if the GOP can really do much better with WWC voters than they did in 2016, and I certainly don't think those voters were mobilized or convinced by any noticeable libertarian steak in Trump. His rhetoric in 2016 often had authoritarian tones, broadly speaking, and it was often pretty up front.

I do prefer Cruz's view for the party as opposed to say Hawley's, but I don't know that libertarianism (or a GOP version of it) fused with populism is going to win the day. The two often are in conflict, though I do see Cruz's point that they can compliment each other in some cases.

I dont think working class voters will read this article so ted mentioning libertarians would not really matter if they are worried. I think what he is referring to is libertarians using populist strategies to address working class voters. That's what I read this as and I agree. Libertarianism and populism aren't at odds to me. Ron Paul's presidential runs were populist and he did well.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 07:52:47 AM »

"Italian farmers in Youngstown" devastated me hahahahahahahaha

(not to mention Youngstown is 44% Black)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »

1) Didn’t you used to be a hardcore libertarian, OP?  Trump’s angry tone and lack of actual beliefs really shook you to your ideological core?  lol.

2) It seems you VASTLY overestimate the number of rural voters, like most people.  In your state, for example, you do realize that the VAST, vast majority of Trump’s voters were not rural Texans, right?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »

Populism is a type of rhetoric while libertarianism is a policy doctrine.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 04:29:54 PM »

Populism is a type of rhetoric while libertarianism is a policy doctrine.

Exactly.  Hillary Clinton’s views had nothing to do with her seeming less “populist” than Trump.  Additionally, Joe Biden is like a carbon copy but is seen as MUCH more populist.  Some Hillary hacks will point to sexism, but it’s really just that Biden seems intent on emphasizing that he isn’t a tool of corporations or the elite, regardless of reality, and he can convey that idea genuinely to a decent chunk of voters ... by contrast, Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney looked like they had to memorize lines just to sound like they weren’t out of touch.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 08:38:46 PM »

Very true. Most people want to leech off of your success while simultaneously telling you what you can and can't do with your personal life. That's why the mob must be resisted at all costs.

Is this quote from an ad for free guillotines?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 12:14:47 AM »

Is this quote from an ad for free guillotines?

If the idea of letting others live their lives free from the imposition of your subjective opinions makes you want to go out and get a guillotine, then you don't need a revolution, you need anger management sessions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies