New proposed abortion law in Belgium: are you in favour or against?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:02:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  New proposed abortion law in Belgium: are you in favour or against?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: are you in favour or against?
Expand abortion to 18 weeks

Keep as it is

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: New proposed abortion law in Belgium: are you in favour or against?  (Read 658 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2020, 05:53:58 AM »

The result is that the limit at which an abortion can no longer take place is extended from 12 to 18 weeks, the obligatory cooling-off period is cut from six days to two, and abortion is removed entirely from the criminal code.

Additionally, men who oppose the abortion of their woman are criminally prosecutable. Information about alternative methods in abortion centers are cancelled.

Marxists, social democrats, greens and some liberals support the new amendment to the abortion law. Some liberals, christian democrats, nationalists and far-right are against.

We would have the most progressive abortion law over the world if enacted.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 05:57:17 AM »

The result is that the limit at which an abortion can no longer take place is extended from 12 to 18 weeks, the obligatory cooling-off period is cut from six days to two, and abortion is removed entirely from the criminal code.

Additionally, men who oppose the abortion of their woman are criminally prosecutable. Information about alternative methods in abortion centers are cancelled.

Marxists, social democrats, greens and some liberals support the new amendment to the abortion law. Some liberals, christian democrats, nationalists and far-right are against.

It's 23 weeks and 6 days in Great Britain so it's not that 'liberal'. It should be removed from the criminal code. You'd have to explain what you mean by 'men are criminally prosecutable' though. It's not clear.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 06:07:17 AM »

It's 23 weeks and 6 days in Great Britain so it's not that 'liberal'. It should be removed from the criminal code. You'd have to explain what you mean by 'men are criminally prosecutable' though. It's not clear.
That's something the right claims. I'm not sure as well. Zinneke might know it better. I didn't know it was that liberal in GB. The right compares it to the progressive Netherlands where it's the only country where it's so liberal, and claims it's the most liberal abortion law proposed over the world.

I didn't fact-check.

Btw. I would vote in favour.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 07:22:35 AM »

I support it but what does it mean by men who "oppose" the abortion? They can't disagree with her decision verbally? Or attempting to physically stop her from getting an abortion is a crime? If it's the latter I agree.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »

18 weeks seems reasonable to me, but:

I support it but what does it mean by men who "oppose" the abortion? They can't disagree with her decision verbally? Or attempting to physically stop her from getting an abortion is a crime? If it's the latter I agree.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »

I support it
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »

Against
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 03:20:18 PM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 03:40:26 PM »

First where poll choice for banning abortion (except for rape, incest, life of the mother)

Additionally men should have say and shouldn’t be held criminally liable for opposing an abortion of their partner. This denying men a voice in the process has got to stop.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »

First where poll choice for banning abortion (except for rape, incest, life of the mother)

Additionally men should have say and shouldn’t be held criminally liable for opposing an abortion of their partner. This denying men a voice in the process has got to stop.
It's the woman's body, not the man's body as far as I know.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »

This would be a terrible law, but what in the world is meant by men opposing an abortion could be prosecuted?  That sounds like China-level crackdowns on free speech.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »

support
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 02:43:53 PM »

That's something the right claims. I'm not sure as well. Zinneke might know it better. I didn't know it was that liberal in GB. The right compares it to the progressive Netherlands where it's the only country where it's so liberal, and claims it's the most liberal abortion law proposed over the world.

I didn't fact-check.

I get that; but why did you quote 'the right'; what right wing source did you use that could so blatantly make sh-t up that can be checked online in minutes? I'm curious Smiley
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 02:45:22 PM »

I didn't fact-check.

I get that; but why did you quote 'the right'; what right wing source did you use that could so blatantly make sh-t up that can be checked online in minutes? I'm curious Smiley
N-Va ad on fb.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »

I know this is over a week old, but being legal up to 18 weeks is more conservative than in most of the United States at least.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »

It's the woman's body, not the man's body as far as I know.

Agreed. The woman should be the only one who has any say in what happens with the fetus. However, if the man expresses his preference that she have an abortion and she goes through with the pregnancy anyway, the man should not be required to pay child support.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 05:18:59 PM »

Sorry Timmy. We know you're living in abject poverty, but your dad ticked a box on a form saying he doesn't want you, so no child support for you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies