Should the Congressional Apportionment Act have been ratified?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:03:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the Congressional Apportionment Act have been ratified?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Should the Congressional Apportionment Act have been ratified?  (Read 876 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »
« edited: July 14, 2020, 09:35:34 PM by Apocrypha »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Apportionment_Amendment
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 11:46:01 PM »

Yes. 750,000+ people per Representative is ridiculous.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 08:50:19 PM »

I actually thought this was in the Constitution for a long time. It seems like the sort of thing that should be addressed by it.  If the formula ever needs to be change, then another amendment can be made.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »

And an unwieldy body of 6,563 Representatives wouldn't be?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:22:25 PM »

There's a middle ground. 1000-1500 members should work fine, given a strong hierarchical leadership and committee system (which the US Congress already has).
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 12:37:22 AM »

There's a middle ground. 1000-1500 members should work fine, given a strong hierarchical leadership and committee system (which the US Congress already has).

What's the point though? I get the argument for the Wyoming Rule to minimize population variance between districts, but after that, it seems like you're just adding representatives for the sake of it. I don't think there's anything more democratic or effective about having a rep for every 300,000 instead of every 600,000 people.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 12:41:09 AM »

What's the point though? I get the argument for the Wyoming Rule to minimize population variance between districts, but after that, it seems like you're just adding representatives for the sake of it. I don't think there's anything more democratic or effective about having a rep for every 300,000 instead of every 600,000 people.

Thats why you use the cube root rule.
That keeps the representative size increasing as our population increases but at a reasonable rate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 02:39:34 AM »

Large districts lower the quality of democracy. Representatives can't possibly represent meaningful communities, and constituents can't hope to have meaningful interactions with representatives. The nature of campaigns change as well, as larger districts means that campaigns are more reliant on ads (and therefore on big money) than on grassroots presence and word-of-mouth. All around, a lot of the pathologies of modern US politics are, if not a product of, at least made considerably worse by large districts.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 02:57:12 AM »

Large districts lower the quality of democracy. Representatives can't possibly represent meaningful communities, and constituents can't hope to have meaningful interactions with representatives. The nature of campaigns change as well, as larger districts means that campaigns are more reliant on ads (and therefore on big money) than on grassroots presence and word-of-mouth. All around, a lot of the pathologies of modern US politics are, if not a product of, at least made considerably worse by large districts.

That may be, but these issues would still apply to any constituency of over 100k people. 250k-300k person districts, like you propose, would still be too big for meaningful constituent interactions and relevant community representation. However, constituencies of just 100k in the United States would produce an unacceptably large congress, leading me to think a sub-1,000 member congress is the way to go.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 03:40:58 AM »

On the other hand, Representatives lose power as their numbers grow. A representative dedicated solely to a small, niche community might be less effective for that community than someone who represents half a million people and they happen to be a significant part of it. I think somewhere near 1000 Reps would be sufficient for the US House as currently structured.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

Ideally, yes, I agree that we would need districts much smaller than 300k to achieve meaningful representation. It's a real shame that that's not practicable in a country as large as the US. Still, I do believe that every effort to minimize district size helps, even if just marginally.

As for diluting the power of individual representatives, I view that as a feature rather than a bug. It would make politics more authentically pluralistic, as personal friendships and quirks of specific lawmakers would matter less (as well as reducing the potential for corruption, since it's harder to bribe more people) and genuine policy stances would matter more.

Ideally, and especially when we get to the point of having a world government, I'm thinking the best blueprint to maintain meaningful representation could actually be something like the caucus system, where you have all voters gather at the local level to elect their representatives, who then go up to a higher tier assembly and elect their own representatives, and so forth. Of course, that would require making it possible for everyone to attend without incurring the enormous material and opportunity costs they incur today.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »

yes, though I think having each district be ~100k is fine. However, our current districts are just too big to really be considered "local".
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 02:08:16 PM »

Or, here’s a thought: maybe use the Cube Root Rule at the state level and stop relying so much on Washington DC for everything? District sizes of ~30k are readily achievable at the state level.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies