Should schools open in full in September? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:09:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should schools open in full in September? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Should schools open in full in September?  (Read 1284 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: July 14, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »

Unpopular opinion: Yes (but with social distancing and what not)

By September the pandemic will be controlled I think
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:18:17 AM »

In the US, we have classes which have 30 students in one class.

Yeah here too, I don't get this? (Here 35 students per class is the legal maximum in years 11-12; 30 for years 7-10 and 25 for years 1-6)

It will be a pain for schools but classes could be reworked around social distancing. Just sit everyone as though there was a exam.

At worst, make schools half in person, half online.

But by late September the pandemic will be at a low enough level that schools can reopen in a decent capacity, if not in full
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »

Good luck getting a bunch of 1st graders to wear masks all day and social distance.

Wearing masks will admittedly be very hard, but I don't think social distancing would be that hard to keep outside recess? Basically, sit students as though they are going to have an exam all the time.

Of course, keeping social distance in recess for 1st graders (or really any students) will be impossible.

If I was designing a plan for schools to open it'd be like this:

1) Stagger recess times even more than usual and divide the school's courtyard so that classes or grades are segregated. If necessary, cut recess times or outright cancel it and have it inside the classroom, at least for upper grades. Or maybe do it on a day by day basis (so 1st graders get it on Mondays, 2nd graders on Tuesdays, etc)
2) Sit students as though they were going to have a test the entire time. This probably is not good social distancing but it is as good as it is going to get.
3) If possible, reduce the amount of students in class. This is easier for middle and high schools since they can go half online, half in person if need be; but harder to pull off for elementary.
4) A variation on 3, if time allows, divide grades into more groups than usual. If there are other spaces in the school where classes can be had, use them. When I was in like 1st grade I had my classes on what can basically be described as a glorified closet at one point. Use laboratories, the cafeteria, gyms, sports courts and if weather allows, even have classes outright in the open in the school's courtyard.
5) If someone at the school gets COVID, close down the school for at least a week, test everybody (or at least as many people as you can) and what not. Basically try to avoid people spreading the disease.

All of this, plus cases going down with good leadership should allow at least a majority of states to open up their schools by late September. Of course, the COVID pandemic would need to have good leadership and go away for good.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »

Maybe in Spain.

Even in the US, if Trump and the various governors started a harsh lockdown now, the country would be ready to gradually reopen throughout September.

From the "first wave", it seems to take roughly 2 months for the pandemic to be gone enough that a country can gradually reopen with a ton of caution and social distancing.

Granted this puts a ton of unwarranted faith in Trump, but theoretically, it is possible
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »

Good luck getting a bunch of 1st graders to wear masks all day and social distance.

Wearing masks will admittedly be very hard, but I don't think social distancing would be that hard to keep outside recess? Basically, sit students as though they are going to have an exam all the time.

Of course, keeping social distance in recess for 1st graders (or really any students) will be impossible.
First graders do not sit still. That's just not how they behave — there is no way to get them to do this.

I mean, we are talking 6-7 year old kids here. They have at least some capability to follow instructions and what not.

A 1st grade class is certainly active to call it some way, but it is not complete anarchy. Or maybe I am overestimating 6 year old me and my classmates Tongue

At the absolute worst I suppose 1st and 2nd graders could be punished without recess and they stay inside a single classroom for the entire school day.

Or maybe only 3rd graders and up go to school or something like that
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies