Content Quality, Echo Chambers, and more (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:19:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Content Quality, Echo Chambers, and more (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Content Quality, Echo Chambers, and more  (Read 2266 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: July 13, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »

I've noticed this sort of thing carrying out on the real world too. Have never lost friends because of politics until this year, now it's five and counting. Also have seen people I know publicly call out their friends for "being racist" (not supporting BLM) on social media and literally cancelling them.

I can't speak on how this might relate to Canada, but I do know that human dignity is not a matter of debate. Human dignity is not a political view. Many people are growing increasingly frustrated with being treated as lesser than. The oft-quoted MLK Jr. insight regarding the "White Moderate" is certainly applicable to people who may not even be racist themselves. When you have persons choosing to demonize groups of people based upon superficial characteristics and utilizing rhetoric most notoriously remembered from the 1930s, and half of the forum decides to say that the person is a decent person with "bad political views", it's a reminder that yes, your human dignity is indeed negotiable. I don't think asking for empathy and self-education is too much to ask.

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” — Archbishop Desmond Tutu

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

Well, I'll just say that I think very few people would argue that human dignity is not negotiable, because that would require among other things to forgive all the most heinious crimes that humans have managed to commit over their years on Earth, and that is an *extremely* *difficult* thing to do for a human being.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »

Well, I'll just say that I think very few people would argue that human dignity is not negotiable, because that would require among other things to forgive all the most heinious crimes that humans have managed to commit over their years on Earth, and that is an *extremely* *difficult* thing to do for a human being.

If you think human dignity is not negotiable, obviously you've never watched "reality" TV.  Mock

Your answer is kind of tacky given that I was referring to things like, say, Nazi concentration camps...
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:10:31 AM »

If you think human dignity is not negotiable, obviously you've never watched "reality" TV.  Mock

Your answer is kind of tacky given that I was referring to things like, say, Nazi concentration camps...

Since this is a U.S. political forum, Nazis aren't even the tenth thing to come to mind if you mention the 1930s here. 1930s rhetoric would be from FDR or Huey Long.

I didn't mention 1930s. Don't confuse posts. I said "humans over their years on Earth".
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »

Since this is a U.S. political forum, Nazis aren't even the tenth thing to come to mind if you mention the 1930s here. 1930s rhetoric would be from FDR or Huey Long.

I didn't mention 1930s. Don't confuse posts. I said "humans over their years on Earth".

Sev mentioned the 1930s in the post you replied to. Frankly, without that temporal link, you thinking "Nazi concentration camps" is the obvious thing that cones to mind from your remarks is even more baffling .

I think you misunderstood.
My post had nothing to do with Sev's reference to the 1930s.
I was only expanding on the sentence "human dignity is indeed negotiable". And my consideration was that very few people would argue that human dignity is not negotiable, because it would require among other things to think that even people who committed horrible crimes did not lose their human dignity. Nazi officials who supervised concentration camps is an obvious example of those horrible crimes, but I could have said the Rwandan genocide, Cromwell's actions in Ireland or others.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 05:48:55 AM »

I think it's scaring away lots of very intelligent top quality posters

Don't worry, I have decided to stay.

I let young adults entering the world off with a long leash. Everyone now has a mental illness, Facebook anxiety as you mentioned, COVID-19, no work, and expectation that you should have $400K worth of shares by the age of 28 and be successful on Instagram. We seem to have this constant message on Instagram of "Look what you dont have".

At 49, I have come to realise that with the world the way it is in 2020, there is a lot more pressure on young people causing this anxiety. For someone who is in their 20's, the expectation of being a popular social media legend creates a very unfair paradigm in their brain. There seems to be an expectation that you are either a legend or a loser. But there is not a lot of room just to be normal and relax.

The posts made on Facebook, YouTube and Atlas are reflective of that. People who are very attacking and chase people around on the internet are doing so because of their own low self-esteem. Their critique of other people is an implicit reflection of their own low self-worth.

My suggestion, find something positive in life with a longer term goal. 2-3 years. 4-5 years.

Chasing social media and forum posts with hourly/daily time frames only results in poor life outcomes over the longer term.

As a 19 year old, I can tell you that my (admittedly small) social circle is full of people who could not care less about be popular on social networks. Paradoxically my father, who is 53, seems to be more invested in the idea of getting lots of likes on Twitter than us.
I actually had Instagram. I left it in February 2018 because I decided I want to have the least profiles on websites I can and because I finally recognized Instagram for the load of manure it is. Just yesterday my girlfriend told me that she is also beginning to think that Instagram is a load of manure.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies