Content Quality, Echo Chambers, and more (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:14:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Content Quality, Echo Chambers, and more (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Content Quality, Echo Chambers, and more  (Read 2258 times)
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« on: July 11, 2020, 07:39:45 PM »

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right board or not. Feel free to move.

I have noticed that Atlas is becoming more and more like the comments section on Facebook. Lots of partisan nonsense and promoting of party ideologies. Take for example a single poll in Alaska or Arkansas showing Trump ahead by a narrow margin, and see all the pundits posters arguing how it could happen.  Post a poll of Trump ahead in a swing state like Minnesota or Michigan and it will be quickly tossed out as "junk". Not to be offensive, but it seems like lower tier s***posting by people who lack critical thinking skills. On the Alaska poll thread, I pointed out the notable polling error the state had in 2016 and how you really should not put much faith in to one poll, and I was told that the agency that did the poll did a great job in 2014! How on earth does general election polling compare to a gubernational polling from six years ago. I mean... really? Does anyone believe that!

My point is, it seems like we are becoming an echo chamber, and I think it's scaring away lots of very intelligent top quality posters who might differ on opinion. I personally can't bring myself to even read the 2020 board or general discussion. It's just so much political narrative twisting I feel like I'm on a CNN panel or Twitter feed. All the one liners, "burns", and cancel culture. Just look at the Talk Elections Q&A board, and all the petitions to ban various users for posting something someone found offensive. Like too bad so sad, it's not like the moderators aren't doing their jobs and banning trolls! I feel like if we sat back, stopped treating politics like sports or tribalism, and began top tier critical analysis, we'd all be way better off.  There's nothing wrong with having opinions, but it gets so frustrating to read the same drivel. Toss up Arkansas this, "Georgia will flip before ___" that. Who cares?

I think if you took a sample size of the American public vs people on this board and you'll realize how skewed things really are. If you look at the mock election results, Hillary won Atlas 58-22. Our community skews liberal and has since I've been here. But I swear the quality of the posts has gone downhill? Maybe it's a result of our increasing hyper partisan culture, where we view people of political opposition with more disdain than (insert evil person here). I've noticed this sort of thing carrying out on the real world too. Have never lost friends because of politics until this year, now it's five and counting. Also have seen people I know publicly call out their friends for "being racist" (not supporting BLM) on social media and literally cancelling them. What a bloody mess.

I wish everyone well, but I think I might take a break for a bit and stick to predictions. All the punditry is getting tiresome. Where's the quality analysis I came for in the first place?
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:01:02 PM »

I think a lot of the divisiveness and hostility in national politics that has come up this past decade might be to blame. Politics also attracts a lot of nutters, a lot of ideological extremists, and other undesirable folks.  There's also some really great people. I think the problem is that some of us get way too emotionally involved. I'm really only in it for the maps and data, and I could care less what others think politically, or what others think of me. I post my opinions and reply to discussions to challenge others on their opinions to try and make a more perfect world. If someone is a critical thinker they can listen to both sides of the debate and make an informed decision. I think if we all sat back and hid the avatars the vast majority of us here would find a lot of middle ground.

I also agree on the recommended button. We don't need one line "burns" to fill up every thread!
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:10:16 PM »

I think a lot of the divisiveness and hostility in national politics that has come up this past decade might be to blame. Politics also attracts a lot of nutters, a lot of ideological extremists, and other undesirable folks.  There's also some really great people. I think the problem is that some of us get way too emotionally involved. I'm really only in it for the maps and data, and I could care less what others think politically, or what others think of me. I post my opinions and reply to discussions to challenge others on their opinions to try and make a more perfect world. If someone is a critical thinker they can listen to both sides of the debate and make an informed decision. I think if we all sat back and hid the avatars the vast majority of us here would find a lot of middle ground.

I also agree on the recommended button. We don't need one line "burns" to fill up every thread!

Emotions and caring are important. It's in our nature to have feelings and express them. It's part of what makes us human. I have nothing wrong with emotions. And I don't respect people who don't care about anything. I just want people to express themselves with more than just feelings in some of their posts. And I want people to be able to talk and debate in spite of their strong feelings. The 2020 forum has too many one- and two-liners that don't lead to substantive discussion.

I am guilty of making too many one-liners myself.

Totally agree, and I'm guilty of it too. I think we all need to be mindful of one another and realize that this is a very difficult time and everyone is reacting differently. We're all human and I don't think we should hate one another because of our political beliefs. I might disagree with you politically but I don't dislike you personally. That's how it should be for everyone here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies