CDC: Full Reopening of Schools and Colleges Presents 'Highest Risk' for Spread of COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:08:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CDC: Full Reopening of Schools and Colleges Presents 'Highest Risk' for Spread of COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CDC: Full Reopening of Schools and Colleges Presents 'Highest Risk' for Spread of COVID-19  (Read 978 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: July 13, 2020, 07:46:42 AM »

I'm just going to offer what our local school district is doing. We are going to combine in class schooling with homeschooling. Apparently half the kids will be attending live Mondays and Tuesdays while the other half is taught via Zoom, and then switching for Thursdays and Fridays, and the entire class will be homeschooled on Wednesdays to give the chance to cleanse and disinfect the school as well. You were kids on the bus and in class will allow, the theory is, for greater social distancing. Masks are going to be generally mandatory. Kids from the same family will be assigned the same attendance days, which I'm very glad about having two boys in the same school this year. I'm not sure how exactly teaching a class that's partially alive and partially the video is going to work, but it beats the hell out of doing 100% long distance learning.

In a perfect world, I would so much rather have my kids hot live. One of my sons actually thrived and enjoy the online learning David doing quite well. The other child not as much, it hasn't proven of tremendous problem. He'll benefit more from the in-person teaching.

There are probably many Theses written by doctoral students in children's education oh, but I believe that even beyond the socialization element children learn better in a live environment. The best I can articulate it is it simply allows ideas to feedback better not just between teacher-pupil but among the pupils themselves than it does in a video setting.

At the same time, in the world we wouldn't be dealing with a potentially lethal disease. Children do get sick from covid-19, and even if the recovery rate is strong, there are indications that it can have lingering health effects long afterwards in terms of lung capacity, Etc. 99% of people survived polio too, but it doesn't mean I'd want to wind up like FDR. We are very worried about the increase in cases, and believe a balanced effort like this it's probably for the best.

I have absolutely zero problem with raising taxes, either locally, Statewide, or federally, in order to subsidize the means for children who can't afford at least a phone on which they can dial in Via Zoom can have one on loan from the school district for as long as necessary.

Trump and DeVos have, as usual, offered all the leadership as a blind and deaf mule, and seems to only you getting back to some semblance of normality to boost his re-election bid.
Seattle actually had a pretty good idea just horribly implemented. Also the political reaction would be quite angry. They wanted certain at risk groups like AA males and ESL students to be allowed back in building while the remainder would be learning from home. Obviously this is stupid because no race isnt everything even if it has a strong correlation. I might say single family households should have priority even if it's an unpopular decision .
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »

Also does anyone know of schools for middle or high school where a proposed idea is moving the teachers around but trying to keep groups of students together? Maybe move certain electives online to accommodate for this?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies