To what extent would you decide to live in a given city/town based on its politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 03:26:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  To what extent would you decide to live in a given city/town based on its politics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Question applies to a point in your life where you are not being ordered to live at X by any authority
Politics would be my SOLE consideration. I'll live in a dumpy, crime infested place as long as it votes correctly!
The Area voting correctly would be a necessary factor, but not sufficient on its own.
I would definitely consider voting patterns, but they would not be a dealbreaker and I could live in a city/town that voted differently than I prefer.
Other factors would dominate the decision, but voting patterns could be a minor consideration if needed
I would not consider voting patterns when deciding where to live.
Actually, I reject this premise entirely and would prefer to live somewhere that votes differently from how I vote
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: To what extent would you decide to live in a given city/town based on its politics?  (Read 444 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:11:09 PM »

hmm.......
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »

"Voting patterns" tend to be a proxy for other things I find desirable in a community
This.

Though it's somewhat lower on my priorities than most. Granted, this would be very different in America.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »

Factors that I would heavily weight were I to move for non-career or non-social reasons (primarily geographic and concerning climate, walkability, and mountain and lake access) would in many cases probably run contrary to my politics. Tongue
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »

It's more likely to impact where in a city or town I live. For instance, if I stay in Philadelphia long-term I plan to move either to South Philadelphia, the Riverwards, or Northeast Philly to a neighborhood where both Trump and Clinton got respectable percentages of the vote. Political balance is important for me.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 10:37:24 AM »

I selected the last, not because I definitely want to live in a place with different politics than mine, but because I would have contrarian voting patterns if I lived in an area that's too lopsided. Like, if I lived in San Francisco I would vote Republican as much as I can just for protest.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »

I have a strong preference towards cities, so I guess yes, but I can (and have) lived in places where I've had massive disagreements with my representatives on a municipal and state level. In a lot of cases, I'd imagine that views of people on state/local issues likely will have more influence on my quality of life compared to federal issues. Like this is very LA, but while I enjoyed living in Hollywood, I didn't love the paradigm of neighborhood politics which led to there being a perpetually half-completed Target five minutes from where I lived.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 01:06:38 AM »

I care more about a place not being extreme than about a place agreeing with me. I want to live in moderateland. My county in Missouri is getting pretty close to that point nowadays, which is nice to see.

Part of the reason I like Utah, as well. It's a very strongly anti-"scorched-earth" state, politically. There's a very high value placed on civility.

It's not that I hate extreme views, it's that I hate polarization and partisanship. It's supposed to be a political spectrum, not two homogeneous blobs of talking points separated by an enormous chasm of nothingness.

I'm a Democrat because they are the party that currently most closely matches my own views, but I have no loyalty to the party whatsoever. If the parties ever go through another 60s-style transition, or if the two-party system (hopefully, someday) breaks down, I will not hesitate to switch if there is a better fit out there that is also electorally viable.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 01:18:42 AM »

The most important factor is whether or not I would feel safe in the neighborhood I plan to move to. The political views of others in my community are at best a minor factor - I think I am more immune from peer pressure than most other people, so I think I am capable of sticking to my current set of political beliefs (which are mostly progressive) even if most of my neighbors are neoliberal and/or conservative.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 07:20:10 PM »

Partisanship often ends up being a proxy for other things, but I would not factor politics into my decision to live in a certain place at all
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 02:06:59 AM »

I prefer not to live in an area that thinks my loved ones don't deserve rights.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 06:28:01 AM »

It is one of the top things I consider when deciding where I want to eventually move. I would love to live in a city like Nashville or Charleston (SC) but the state’s politics and general inelasticity make it difficult to justify moving there over somewhere like Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Wisconsin, etc. But I currently live in *the* swing state so I like where I’m at currently.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »

I would literally not consider it whatsoever.  Most of the things we associate with "liberal" areas or "conservative" areas have to do with other things that are not as related to politics as we make them out to be.  For example, I love living in Chicago, but its liberal politics are easily the worst thing about the city, lol ... the great things that it offers aren't explicitly because of its extreme Democratic tilt...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »

It doesnt matter now, most of the Sunbelt has more population than the Rist belt and its becoming secular like the Rust belt was.  The Covid 19 and Recession of 2008 has expedited this.  As boomers die out, whom migrated in the 1940s from the south to the North, their descendants are moving back to the Sunbelt

TX, FL, CA, HI, GA, NC, VA, AZ and CO
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »

I would like to move somewhere that was until recently purple but is now light blue like Colorado or Virginia. Both of these states have some really great, center-left Democratic politicians and sensible, evidence-based laws and high standards of living without being too unaffordable. As well as more relaxed cultures that aren't too caught up in either side of the culture wars.

I find in places that are too far left, like say San Francisco, you get things like outrageous cost of living due to NIMBYs and rent control, absurdly high taxes that aren't clearly spent efficiently, and things like draconian gun laws as well as a culture that is heavily into pushing the latest left-wing/progressive/social justice ideals with an almost religious zeal.

Conversely in places that are too far right, you get socially backwards and regressive ideals that are often pushed with a literally religious zeal, draconian measures like heavy implementation of the death penalty and crackdowns on marijuana, gun laws that are often a little too loosely enforced, and often bad healthcare and education systems, poor infrastructure, and just generally low standards of living for all but the wealthy. Cost of living and taxes are low, but the former is often because people don't desire to live there and the latter is often part of the problem.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »

It's a factor, a minor one but still a factor.

The place I live in now is really socially conservative, and I hate that.

I also wouldn't want to live in an area that was socially liberal though, if it meant dealing with soul crushing taxes and other left-authoritarian garbage.

Me and my wife particularly want to move to an area that is socially liberal/libertarian and fiscally conservative because we don't fit in here in Tennessee where everybody is all church-y and community oriented and fake nice, but we also don't think we would fit in somewhere like Chicago or New York City or anywhere far left like that.

I just want to live somewhere where the people care about no one and nothing other than providing for the people you individually deem worthy of your concern.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 07:14:58 PM »

It’s not a top criterion for me, considering I live in one of the most Democratic states in the country and most towns vote Democratic, at least in presidential elections. While there are places like Cambridge that are too liberal for me culturally, there are plenty of Democratic towns that aren’t hyper political in character.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »

Uh, not really? I suppose to the extent that I would prefer to live in a city and the politics of urban areas are usually overwhelmingly Democratic by nature. I also think it would be interesting to live in a more leftist/progressive part of a city (as I have in Chicago). That said, I wouldn't turn down a place to live solely because of its politics, and politics are not as important a consideration to me as the more practical aspects of choosing a place to live (cost of living, transportation, proximity to neighborhood amenities, etc.).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies