Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Harding (D)

Harding (R)

Harding (I/O)

Coolidge (D)

Coolidge (R)

Coolidge (I/O)

Hoover (D)

Hoover (R)

Hoover (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS  (Read 1141 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2020, 03:57:44 PM »

All three are great.  Harding is my “Spirit President,” so I gave my vote to him.  However, Coolidge is my favorite in more “political” terms or whatever, as I appreciate the dignity and temperament he gave to the office.

How can you think Harding and Hoover were Great Presidents while thinking Trump as a bad one .

Hoover presidency was basically Trump’s except we had 3 and a half years of massive incompetence dealing with a major crises instead of 9 months . The 1929 crash while yes did make a recession inevitable the depth and length of the depression was cause of his massive incompetence.

- He literally let the financial system collapse in fall of 1930 as he refused to bail the banks out . This is what led to a collapse in money supply

- He literally appoint hard money guys at the Fed so the blame people give to the fed also goes to him because he appointed Eugene Meyer

- He signed Smoot Hawley into law

The idea that he was unlucky and there was nothing that could be done about it is pretty ridiculous given these 3 major major things .

2008 by many indications was worse than 1929 but we responded well so we didn’t have a repeat of the depression and the way we responded was literally doing the opposite of what Hoover did

Hindsight is wonderful.  For the time, the measures Hoover did undertake involved considerably more government intervention in the business cycle than had ever been done before in the U.S. During the 1932 campaign, Roosevelt attacked Hoover for being "the greatest spending Administration in peacetime in all our history". Yes, Hoover made mistakes, but they were quite understandable ones, especially compared to how FDR reignited the depression in 1937 by cutting government spending after the election in a misguided effort to quickly bring the budget back into balance because he thought the economy had recovered. If it hadn't been for WW II, the Republicans might well have retaken Congress and/or the White House in 1940.  It's almost certain that FDR wouldn't have been nominated for a third term without the war.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »

All three are great.  Harding is my “Spirit President,” so I gave my vote to him.  However, Coolidge is my favorite in more “political” terms or whatever, as I appreciate the dignity and temperament he gave to the office.

How can you think Harding and Hoover were Great Presidents while thinking Trump as a bad one .

Hoover presidency was basically Trump’s except we had 3 and a half years of massive incompetence dealing with a major crises instead of 9 months . The 1929 crash while yes did make a recession inevitable the depth and length of the depression was cause of his massive incompetence.

- He literally let the financial system collapse in fall of 1930 as he refused to bail the banks out . This is what led to a collapse in money supply

- He literally appoint hard money guys at the Fed so the blame people give to the fed also goes to him because he appointed Eugene Meyer

- He signed Smoot Hawley into law

The idea that he was unlucky and there was nothing that could be done about it is pretty ridiculous given these 3 major major things .

2008 by many indications was worse than 1929 but we responded well so we didn’t have a repeat of the depression and the way we responded was literally doing the opposite of what Hoover did

Hindsight is wonderful.  For the time, the measures Hoover did undertake involved considerably more government intervention in the business cycle than had ever been done before in the U.S. During the 1932 campaign, Roosevelt attacked Hoover for being "the greatest spending Administration in peacetime in all our history". Yes, Hoover made mistakes, but they were quite understandable ones, especially compared to how FDR reignited the depression in 1937 by cutting government spending after the election in a misguided effort to quickly bring the budget back into balance because he thought the economy had recovered. If it hadn't been for WW II, the Republicans might well have retaken Congress and/or the White House in 1940.  It's almost certain that FDR wouldn't have been nominated for a third term without the war.

Hoover waited until it was too late and it wasn’t hindsight.  The Federal Reserve was created specifically to deal with a banning crises and Hoover nominated hard money guys to it .

Banks in the past had been bailed out which Hoover didn’t do .

These aren’t hindsight things , Hoover could have saved the financial system and he refused to do it which is why the depression was so bad and long.

Compared to the decline of roughly one-third in the quantity of
money from late 1930 to early 1933, the decline in the quantity
of money up to October 1930 seems mild—a mere 2.6 percent

http://www.proglocode.unam.mx/sites/proglocode.unam.mx/files/docencia/Milton%20y%20Rose%20Friedman%20-%20Free%20to%20Choose.pdf
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »

So, as of July 13th, 2020, Democrats are more split but voted Hoover narrowly over Harding, whereas Republicans and Independents/Others broke hard towards Coolidge.

Why???
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »

Responding to some of the Hoover commentary regarding his views on USSR and the Nazis.

Hoover was very active - once the war started - in trying to help Jewish refugees from Europe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/herbert-hoover-american-jews-and-the-gop/2012/04/20/gIQAkzIpVT_blog.html

1. "Hoover supported unpopular legislation that would have admitted German Jewish children to the U.S. in 1939 — a bill that could have saved Anne Frank’s life. He collaborated with Jewish activists to publicize Hitler’s mass murder and urge the Roosevelt administration to rescue Jewish refugees. And he helped convince the Republican Party to include a plank supporting Jewish statehood in its 1944 platform — the first time either party did that."

2. "Hoover supported unpopular legislation that would have admitted German Jewish children to the U.S. in 1939 — a bill that could have saved Anne Frank’s life. He collaborated with Jewish activists to publicize Hitler’s mass murder and urge the Roosevelt administration to rescue Jewish refugees. And he helped convince the Republican Party to include a plank supporting Jewish statehood in its 1944 platform — the first time either party did that."

The Zionism aspects are not necessarily relative in a direct manner but his overall activism after leaving office (regarding WW2) was in support of helping Jewish refugees escape from Europe - even if, sadly, they were not successful.

Ironic considering what he was seen as representing in 1928.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 08:08:53 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2020, 08:14:29 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Harding would be the only one, Coolidge appointed Jay Edgar Hoover to FBI that caused strained relations with AA support.  The AA voters that voted for Coolidge died during the Civil Rights movement.  Just like with Wilson, Jennings, Jim Crow segregationist and Coolidge, they are viewed in much more a negative light
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies