Could Biden's support of affirmative action cost him Asian votes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:10:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Could Biden's support of affirmative action cost him Asian votes?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: Could Biden's support of affirmative action cost him Asian votes?  (Read 2740 times)
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 07:04:02 PM »

Don’t like half of Asians live in just two states (CA&NY)?
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 07:14:39 PM »

Don’t like half of Asians live in just two states (CA&NY)?

+ TX
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »

Only in your wildest reactionary fantasies does the world work this way, SirWoodbury.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 02:12:20 AM »

Can we stop this trend of white nationalists starting threads thinking they know how non-white voters think?
You do realize that I have black neighbors?

Oh God how I laughed at this. The complete lack of self-awareness. (Chef's kiss)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 02:20:23 AM »

It especially isn’t happening considering that Donald Trump unleashed a new wave of yellow peril affecting all Asian Americans.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2020, 06:39:39 AM »

I wonder which direction these lines are going to move. Hmmmmmmmmm.

I mean, past trends do not predict future trends necesarily. He almost certainly won't but hypothetically Trump could rebound among Asian voters
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »

I mean, past trends do not predict future trends necesarily. He almost certainly won't but hypothetically Trump could rebound among Asian voters
There is no evidence that he will "rebound" with Asian voters. Also, in 2018, 77% of Asian voters voted for Democratic candidates. In just 2 years, that number will NOT swing significantly.

Trump is the worst GOP presidential candidate possible for the Republicans to try and make inroads with Asian voters.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »

This is the only right answer.

Not because I literally think every other answer is wrong, but God how I am getting sick with people who say that 2020 will be the exact continuation of 2016 and 2018 with no room for difference. Every election is different and has its strange quirks.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 12:52:25 PM »

This is the only right answer.

Not because I literally think every other answer is wrong, but God how I am getting sick with people who say that 2020 will be the exact continuation of 2016 and 2018 with no room for difference. Every election is different and has its strange quirks.
And do you have any evidence to support your claim? Why will Asian voters make a significant trend in the opposite direction? Please provide me with VALID evidence.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 12:56:24 PM »

And do you have any evidence to support your claim? Why will Asian voters make a significant trend in the opposite direction? Please provide me with VALID evidence.

That is not the point. The point is that past trends do not predict future trends.

It is very likely that Trump will not make gains among Asian-American voters, though I do think Asian Americans will trend Republican, even if it is only in the same way African Americans will trend Republican (if the PV goes from Clinton+2 to say, Biden+8 while Asian Americans remain at 79-19, then they will trend right despite Trump not making gains)

However, using "look at these lines trending" is wrong. Trends happen until they suddenly don't. That is a very common statistical fallacy
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »

That is not the point. The point is that past trends do not predict future trends.

It is very likely that Trump will not make gains among Asian-American voters, though I do think Asian Americans will trend Republican, even if it is only in the same way African Americans will trend Republican (if the PV goes from Clinton+2 to say, Biden+8 while Asian Americans remain at 79-19, then they will trend right despite Trump not making gains)

However, using "look at these lines trending" is wrong. Trends happen until they suddenly don't. That is a very common statistical fallacy
So in other words you're just arguing semantics.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 01:11:41 PM »

My claim? You are arguing against a strawman.
My only claim about Asian Americans is that I would not find at all shocking if Trump gained 5 points among them, or if Biden gained 5 points among them, and maybe a range even wider. I don't have any evidence for anything, so I keep my predictions wide open. And no, 2018 is not evidence of anything. The 2010 CNN exit poll apparently had Asian Americans voting D 58-40. That was not at all predictive of 2012.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 01:13:54 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2020, 04:23:20 PM by 𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆 »

Yes, that is exactly my point.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »

If you think trump will gain with Asian voters, you are absolutely delusional. Period
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 06:28:08 PM »

Doubtful.
Especially considering Trump’s race baiting with Covid-19.
Maybe IF the economy was doing well, IF there was no virus, and IF Affirmative Action became one of the most relevant issues of the day, then maybe Trump could win over some Asians. That’s not happening right now.

Top it off some segment of Asian Americans are dying from COVID-19 at a very high rate cause a good portion of them are healthcare workers.

+ FL
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »

I was going off 2010 Census data, and I don't think FL has the next highest number of Asians after TX. But Wiki might not be up to date, so it's possible FL has more Asian Americans than HI or WA at this point.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »

Yes, but they'll be voting in California.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 08:53:23 PM »

I was going off 2010 Census data, and I don't think FL has the next highest number of Asians after TX. But Wiki might not be up to date, so it's possible FL has more Asian Americans than HI or WA at this point.

Lots of Vietnamese in the FL panhandle, Filipinos in Jacksonville and Orlando.

Miami is almost Asian-less though.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 08:54:45 PM »

This is peak Atlas
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2020, 10:06:55 PM »

Lots of Vietnamese in the FL panhandle, Filipinos in Jacksonville and Orlando.

Miami is almost Asian-less though.

Metro Miami is around 2.5% Asian, which isn't that much less than 2.8% across the entire state. But FL Asians being mostly Viet, Filipino, and Chinese checks out.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2020, 11:39:10 PM »

+ New York, Texas, and Florida.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2020, 01:10:14 AM »

+ New York, Texas, and Florida.

I don't think any of those states have affirmative action referenda this year. So the anti-AA Asian voters in those states won't be as motivated to vote R based on that issue alone.

This doesn't strike me as much of a live issue right now outside of California.

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 02:37:37 AM »

In the wake of COVID-19, unemployment among Asian-Americans (which was previously the lowest of any racial group) has skyrocketed more than any other group.  There has been a wave of anti-Asian hate attacks.  And President White Supremacy is out there yammering about 'kung-flu" and "Chinese virus."  He has plunged the U.S. into severe crisis. 

Obama and Hillary Clinton supported affirmative action and did well with Asian voters.  Republicans trying to distract from their Titanic failure of a white supremacist president only expose their own foolishness.

There is a reason why all (voting) Asian-American members of Congress are Democrats. 
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »

Can we stop this trend of white nationalists starting threads thinking they know how non-white voters think?
You do realize that I have black neighbors?
What? This is literally the “I have a black friend” argument.

Aside from the observable fact you’re supporting a racist president, if you have to point that out, well you might be racist.

It's not even black friend, it's black NEIGHBORS. For all we know he could have never spoken to these neighbors. Or burned a cross in their front yard...

Saying "I live within a mile of some black people!" really does not help your case if you're trying to prove you're not racist.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »

Word in the Asian community is that some people are voting for Trump because Biden supports BLM - yes, it's incredibly repulsive and racist and I want no part of it, but that's what I've been hearing.

As others have said, though, with Asians concentrated in safe states like California and New York, this shouldn't be a huge issue for Biden.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies