AK-SEN 2022: A Rank Choice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:00:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AK-SEN 2022: A Rank Choice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AK-SEN 2022: A Rank Choice  (Read 18737 times)
Epaminondas

« on: April 02, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »

Is Alaska RCV not a queer variation of RCV that includes a Top-4?

If so it's virtually impossible that she would receive less than 25% of the vote, so why all the hot takes?
Epaminondas

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:26:05 AM »

Is Alaska RCV not a queer variation of RCV that includes a Top-4?

If so it's virtually impossible that she would receive less than 25% of the vote, so why all the hot takes?
yeah but the top-4 is also a RCV and if she doesn't get enough first place votes she get eliminated and her voter preferences get redistrubited. It's one of the peculiure features of RCV that while Murkowski might win a 1-1 race against all of the top-4 canidates by being all the other peoples second choice she can still loose if she isn't enough people's first choice to avoid getting eliminated first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_winner_criterion

Though I also find the mathematics of election fascinating (and even made it the topic of my university studies), in this case the 2010 result alone shows us that Murkowski has at one point been the top choice of an actual majority of the Alaskan electorate.
Possibly the only one in the whole country, along with Sanders and King.
Epaminondas

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 04:02:04 AM »

2010 was a lifetime ago with regards to political polarization. Partisan identit has become far more important and split ticket voting has collapsed.
How are ticket splitting trends related to GOP primaries?
Epaminondas

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »

As FR pointed out, absolutely no one in Alaska is going to base their vote off of what Joe Manchin thinks, which means this is yet another attempt to get attention and showboat for his own personal gain. If he had said “Look, I respect Murkowski, I think she’s a great Senator, I don’t think it’s fair that she’s going to be primaried for voting in accordance with her convictions, she’s a good person” and stopped short of endorsing her, that would be, in my book, annoying but fine. A member of the Democratic Party—a Senator in a tied Senate nonetheless—advocating that a Republican be re-elected, no matter who it is or where they’re from, is flat out unacceptable. And I know he endorsed Collins last year too. Democrats should not be advocating to bring back Republicans—we should be advocating to bring in more Democrats. And we ought to be doing that by advocating against Republicans.

It’s not that I think this is going to seal the deal for Murkowski; that would be silly. It’s the principle that Manchin continues to do this knowing there’s no mechanism in place to stop him because he’s the 50th vote. And a lot of people on here will argue that saying “he’s not a Democrat” is unfair, but I can’t even imagine if Joe Biden came out and literally endorsed a Republican over a Democrat in a Congressional race. It would never happen. Manchin is the only Democrat that does this as often as he does. I understand he’s better than the alternatives in WV, but I’m eager to strengthen the Senate majority so that what he thinks doesn’t matter anymore.

Odd rant, given that without Joe Manchin there'd be no Democratic Senate majority. He forewent switching to the GOP at an high cost (scraping though in 2018 vs. no campaigning needed), so give credit where it's due. If Fat Pat had joined Capito, McConnell would still be Majority Leader.

All this is perfunctory, nobody should care about Manchin's gesticulations outside of WV.
Epaminondas

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 01:34:52 PM »

re: RCV

It was a close vote in 2020, so this result is pretty believable. Still a long time to go though and opinions can change.

Gosh they aren't smart: assuming these 53% are Republicans, half of them would have been disgusted by their current Rep without RCV since each base of Palin and Begich loathed the other.
So with RCV, 50% of Alaskans are happy, without it, only 30% would have been. Seems pretty clear what the better alternative is.

If only California could repeal and replace their awful Top-2 with proper RCV instead.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies