AK-SEN 2022: A Rank Choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AK-SEN 2022: A Rank Choice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: AK-SEN 2022: A Rank Choice  (Read 18743 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2021, 07:00:32 PM »

Murkowski has a home in the Democratic Party if she wants it.

This would be the most begrudging welcoming possible. Let's not forget how useless she's been on judicial appointments (remember how she went along with McConnell blocking Garland), the voting rights bill, and more.

Huh

IIRC, didn't she meet with Garland & call for a hearing & vote? It's not her fault that Senate discharge petitions don't exist.

If she really wanted a vote on Garland, she could have switched parties then.

Mhmm. And how exactly do you think that would've played out without at least 3 Republicans joining her in doing the same? Because it certainly wouldn't have resulted in a confirmation vote for Garland actually being held, that's for sure.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »

Murkowski is nowhere near as good as even Joe Manchin and Sinema, let's be clear. That being said, she's the best the Republicans have, so it's no wonder they are trying to expel her.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »

I really doubt that Murkowski caucuses with the Democrats, but she could easily become an indy and run to caucus with the Republican's.

Probably. She's not a Democrat at heart, but she would be accepted into the party. I'm not sure being an Independent Republican can save her. Her numbers are horrific amongst Republicans. Her best bet is probably to go Indy and promise to be an Alaska Independent or something like that. That could mean caucusing with the Democrats for the current Congress. There is no path for her to win through Republican voters. She needs independents and Democrats.

She'll need some moderate republicans ( and center right/ right Indies) to win in 2022. I dont think saying I'm going to caucus with Schumer in an R year is the best way to do that. I think she should just go true Alaska indy as you say
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2021, 11:06:00 PM »

I really doubt that Murkowski caucuses with the Democrats, but she could easily become an indy and run to caucus with the Republican's.

Probably. She's not a Democrat at heart, but she would be accepted into the party. I'm not sure being an Independent Republican can save her. Her numbers are horrific amongst Republicans. Her best bet is probably to go Indy and promise to be an Alaska Independent or something like that. That could mean caucusing with the Democrats for the current Congress. There is no path for her to win through Republican voters. She needs independents and Democrats.

She'll need some moderate republicans ( and center right/ right Indies) to win in 2022. I dont think saying I'm going to caucus with Schumer in an R year is the best way to do that. I think she should just go true Alaska indy as you say

Her winning coalition is basically ensuring she can get as many moderate Rs and, Independents,  Democrats to vote for her outright, especially the latter now that we see how low her approval is with Republicans. Then she needs virtually every Dem and Indy to rank her higher than Tshibaka. If she’s not relying on primarily Republican voters, becoming an Independent isn’t a bad idea from a political standpoint, especially in a state like AK. Otherwise, she risks low info Dems putting her below Tshibaka unknowingly and risking herself indirect votes potentially. She needs to claim her turf in the RCV arena,  so having a label that misaligns with her turf seems like a loosing recipe. At the very least, still caucus with Rs but be an Independent on the ballot.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2021, 06:29:56 PM »

Murkowski has a home in the Democratic Party if she wants it.

This would be the most begrudging welcoming possible. Let's not forget how useless she's been on judicial appointments (remember how she went along with McConnell blocking Garland), the voting rights bill, and more.

Huh

IIRC, didn't she meet with Garland & call for a hearing & vote? It's not her fault that Senate discharge petitions don't exist.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/us/politics/2-republican-senators-revoke-support-for-garland-hearings.html
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »

I am kind of glad that Garland didn't get the Judgeship he has been disappointing as AG by defending Trump in a Deformation Law suit and failing to go after Trump on Obstructing Justice for Ukraine probe, we thought the Justice Dept was gonna prosecute Trump and so far they haven't.

Now, we know why Doug Jones wasn't selected as AG, he was an independent

Every AG have been disappointing Reno, Gonzalez, Holder, Barr and now Garland
Orangeoutlaw
Rookie

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2021, 09:13:21 PM »

Palin teasing a run
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2021, 03:46:24 PM »

Palin teasing a run

What an iconic figure she is. Has she run out of money?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »

Palin teasing a run

One of the dumbest people in American politics.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2021, 05:47:24 PM »

Palin teasing a run

She was possibly the forerunner in accelerating the party's descent into ignorance. The irony of it all is that some of the people responsible for bringing her to the public light have now left the Republican Party due to what it's become. I'm not entirely sure that they're aware of their responsibility in that though.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2021, 05:48:44 PM »

Palin teasing a run

She was possibly the forerunner in accelerating the party's descent into ignorance. The irony of it all is that some of the people responsible for bringing her to the public light have now left the Republican Party due to what it's become. I'm not entirely sure that they're aware of their responsibility in that though.

Palin herself was disowned by those very same people. Remember that back in 2018, when John McCain died, she was not invited to his funeral, in accordance with his wishes.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2021, 05:49:39 PM »

Palin teasing a run

Palin herself was disowned by those very same people. Remember that back in 2018, when John McCain died, she was not invited to his funeral, in accordance with his wishes.

Right. That's what I was referring to, but it was too late at that point.
JMT

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2021, 08:22:27 PM »

I’m skeptical Palin will actually run. Trump and his supporters have already backed Kelly Tshibaka. If Palin was serious about running, she should’ve announced her campaign earlier to get Trump’s support and consolidate the anti-Murkowski vote. Perhaps I’m wrong though, maybe she’ll run in order to get back in the spotlight?

She could still feasibly make it into the top 4 General Election spots, I suppose. I’ll be interested to see what this campaign looks like if she runs, but I still think she sits this race out.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2021, 10:22:52 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2021, 03:18:17 PM by Girlytree »

Just for fun, some guy registered as “Joe Trump AKA Not Murkowski Stephens” is running as an Alaska Independence Party candidate.

And this one is old but, lol.
JMT

« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2021, 07:19:21 AM »

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2021, 12:50:28 PM »

Is there anything more douchey than putting "breaking news" on your tweet about your own re-election announcement?
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2021, 10:47:47 AM »

I really think Lisa Murkowski's best bet would be to forgo the Republican primary and announce she is running as an independent, and will still caucus with the Republicans if she wins.  She probably has a better chance of winning a 3 way race as an independent than winning a Republican primary.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2021, 10:49:24 AM »

I really think Lisa Murkowski's best bet would be to forgo the Republican primary and announce she is running as an independent, and will still caucus with the Republicans if she wins.  She probably has a better chance of winning a 3 way race as an independent than winning a Republican primary.

Alaska doesn't have partisan primaries anymore. It's a blanket primary like CA or WA, but the top four advance to the general rather than the top two, and the winner is elected by RCV.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2021, 07:44:02 PM »

Trump's tweet of June 2020:

"Few people know where they’ll be in two years from now, but I do, in the Great State of Alaska (which I love) campaigning against Senator Lisa Murkowski,"

"Get any candidate ready, good or bad, I don’t care, I’m endorsing. If you have a pulse, I’m with you!"
Rjjr77
« Reply #195 on: November 14, 2021, 09:50:20 PM »

If she does that she loses the backing of the NRSC
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2021, 10:19:44 PM »

I'm still not sure how this plays out. I could see anything from a comfortable victory for Murkowski to being narrowly locked out in the 2nd round with Tshibaka winning over the Democrat.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2021, 03:14:38 PM »

It will be interesting for sure to see the results in RCV even if it there is a blanket primary before the election in RCV.
Forum explorer
Rookie
United States
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »

Do you guys think Elvi Gray Jackson could win this? I think she can Murkowski gets eliminated and she has a lot of her second choice voters.
Forum explorer
Rookie
United States
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2022, 06:38:42 PM »

Any ideas how RCV will be affected now that a Dem is in?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies