Office of Former President Tmth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:14:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Former President Tmth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Office of Former President Tmth  (Read 4096 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2020, 04:08:33 PM »
« edited: April 30, 2021, 10:39:55 AM by tmthforu94 »

Today I declare my candidacy for Southern Chamber.

This decision was made after careful consideration - I initially thought about a run for Governor as well, but I don't disapprove of MB enough at this point and still maintain that I don't want to take away opportunities from newer players. I hope someone else runs for Governor, though, for the sake of competition.

Why am I running? Despite the efforts of a couple, the South is lacking in strong leadership right now, and that is apparent in the Chamber. Most legislation is barely debated, some of the legislators don't seem too concerned about doing their job. I'm running because I have a proven record of being a hard worker and getting the job done.

My 5 promises:
1. I will ensure that the Southern statue and other relevant Wiki pages remain updated through my tenure. This is something that has been a continuous project of mine for a while now.
2. I will actively debate every bill being discussed and will not miss a vote unless I have a LOA posted. I'll introduce my own legislation as well and work to ensure there is always a steady stream of quality discussions taking place.
3. I will oppose any efforts Fremont makes towards moving Kansas (or any other state) out of the Southern Region.
4. I will not seek higher office during my tenure - my commitment is to serving the South.
5. I'll work with ALL sides to get the job done, Labor, Federalist or Democratic Alliance/other. That's been my record in the game and I'll continue with it.

My positions:
I've been around for quite a while and have a record on just about every issue, but generally I consider myself to be a moderate - center-left socially and center-right economically. That is the general philosophy you can expect from me on legislation that has been introduced. I will continue my commitment to keep raccoons from infiltrating our schools and hospitals - what has happened in Pawnee, Indiana should not happen anywhere else.

The Governor has taken sweeping steps to eliminate regulations in the region - I am in agreement in spirit, but in the legislature, I will ensure that these changes are feasible and make sense. An example was the Free Minds Act that recently failed - I proposed making some changes to the wording, but since the Chamber was too lazy to proceed with any of those amendments, it failed. This has been a habit we've seen the last few months - LAZY LEGISLATING. I even created a thread on it back in May, and while things improved, they aren't to where they should be. Things will be drastically better when I head back to Nashville, believe me.

Finally, an issue I will be emphasizing during my first term is racial injustice and police brutality. Black Lives Matter. Period. I'm aware that George Floyd is still considered alive in-game, but either way there are still significant issues of injustices, and I'm discouraged by the lack of discussion that has been facilitated on this issue. Instead of talking about why protestors are looting/vandalizing, we should have been focused on discussing why they're having to take the drastic actions in order to get noticed and force change. During my first month in office, I plan to introduce legislation for police reform in the South - this will largely emulate the plan that Campaign Zero has proposed, and I'll share more details on this soon.

I hope I can count on your vote, and I will plan to continue to add to this in the coming days with more ideas I have. The South is the greatest region in the game, and together we'll make it even greater. I welcome your questions and hope for your endorsements!
Politics Fan

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:13:26 PM »

Endorsed!
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:13:42 PM »

Endorsed!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »

Endorsed, while you are a conservative, the Southern CoD needs massive reform to start actually functioning. You’re the guy that can do that.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »

hurr durr something something kansas hurr durr

(in all seriousness, not endorsing yet but youd def be good for southern activity, lmao)
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 04:20:17 PM »

Endorsed!
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »

I would like to have a debate. You pick the moderator.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »

Endorsed, while you are a conservative, the Southern CoD needs massive reform to start actually functioning.

This tbh, I also think you would not introduce meme bills to condemn hypothetical and unlikely Lincoln alcohol investigations. Also I don't think you'd be interested in right-wing virtue signaling such as the 1776 Shall Commence Again Act, or whatever it was called. You'd certainly be an improvement over much of the current chamber. If you are elected, I do hope that you stay true to your commitment to not support right-wing virtue signaling.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 05:09:19 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 05:59:41 PM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

Endorsed for highest Federalist preference. The CoD will be better off with you in it than outside of it, and I can speak from experience - TM is capable.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 06:42:19 PM »

We might often disagree on the issues, but this certainly looks good and I look forward to you serving in the CoD and bringing back activity and what not.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »

Endorsed!
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 07:14:24 PM »

Enthusiastically endorsed.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 07:29:37 PM »

ENDORSED!

...hypothetical and unlikely Lincoln alcohol investigations.
The temperance issue is politically dead, and has been for 100 years, I have no desire to revive old issues like temperance...
A few moments later...

Also I don't think you'd be interested in... virtue signaling...
You mean unlike yourself?
1776 Shall Not Commence Again Resolution

Whereas, the Lincoln Region offers the least freedom to it's residents;

Whereas, the Lincoln Region has been known to fully oppose the existence of a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms;

Whereas, the Lincoln Region, along with all of Atlasia, mourns and regrets Independence Day on July 4th;

Be it resolved, that the Lincoln Government:

4. Encourages Lincoln residents to safely burn or otherwise desecrate pro-Atlasian... paraphernalia and/or literature.

Sponsor: S019
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »

Strongly endorsed, my friend!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »

The South does a flat excise tax instead of dividing it up - 20% for all. States don't have gas taxed as a percentage, but rather as a $$$ amount. Gas right now is around $2/gallon (at least here), so we'd be looking at a $.40 gas tax in the South, which is significantly higher than the RL numbers.

If elected, I'll propose a budget amendment that lowers the gas tax to a reasonable number and set it indexed to inflation. This will provide immediate relief to families struggling economically from COVID-19 and will also set a plan for the future.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »

If elected, what will you do to address rising healthcare costs for those in lower income communities across the South?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »

Endorsed. I know you as a good, competent legislator and that's exactly what the South, and Atlasia as a whole, needs.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »

If elected, what will you do to address rising healthcare costs for those in lower income communities across the South?
That is a good question, truthfully I'll have to do more research on it as I know Atlasia is in a different place on healthcare than America is. If I were answering this in America, I would say that we need to achieve Medicaid expansion, as not doing so is disproportionately hurting rural hospitals - they're over 50% more likely to close in states that haven't expanded.  Rural hospitals certainly need more funding and debt forgiveness. We are probably overdue on a GM report on healthcare, that hasn't been done in a while.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 02:28:39 PM »

My Round 1 debate responses:

Candidates, please make your opening statement and then answer the following questions:
I got more actively involved in the game a couple months ago after being alerted of Fremont's attempt to poach Kansas from the South. What became more troubling was observing the actions of the Chamber early on this session - citizens such as myself were bringing up valid concerns that were ignored by delegates, many weren't showing up to vote and the overall activity levels were abysmal. I called attention to the issue and while it did improve, especially under Speaker Muaddib's leadership, we are still nowhere near the quality that The People deserve. We have faced criticism from outside and within for what has happened, which is inexcusable for the greatest region in the game. I'm running to restore the integrity of the Chamber and put the South in the right direction again.

What do you believe is the best approach when handling law and order in Atlasia today. How should policing be reformed, and what is your position on race relations in our region?
Politicians have been asking lately: why do black people feel it necessary to loot and riot, why can't they just peacefully protest? To me, that is the wrong way to look at this issue. Why are we at a desperate enough point that people have to loot and riot in order to be heard? The time is now for fundamental police reform in Atlasia. While this is something I will push regionally, I am also speaking to federal officials on the possibly of federal legislation, as this issue doesn't focus on the South exclusively. Racial injustice still exists, not just through police brutality but in other faucets, such as education limitations, lack of infrastructure and adequate housing, etc. We should be conscious of this with every issue we debate.

Training requirements for police officers needs significant changes, the hours of training is far too low, and with it, pay should be adjusted. Much more time needs to be spent on de-escalation tactics and social justice, including bias training and community interaction - we need a police force that is more diverse and emphasizes community involvement and interaction, that will be key towards rebuilding trust between the police and the African-American community. This is one important part of the Campaign Zero plan that I believe should largely be adopted, including body cam requirements (which has become widespread in Atlasia) and ending policing for minor offenses. A comprehensive list can be found here.

How do you believe you can use your experience or lack thereof to guide the way you will work to govern for the people of our region and help get a new generation of players engaged in our region and game?
I am glad to see fresh faces running in this election - it is what helps propel the game forward and prevent stagnation. This ought to be balanced with officials who have the experience to help integrate others into the fold and ensure that the Chamber functions smoothly and effectively. My experience is pretty well known throughout Atlasia, but I have years of experience legislating at the federal and regional level that will be applicable to this position, including leading the Senate for a time.

My experience has been shown this session as a private citizen - I've offered feedback on numerous pieces of legislation that had flaws in their initial writings, most recently with the Chug it Down Act. At times this Chamber has been rushed for no reason. I will help alleviate from mistakes slipping through the cracks and ensure that each piece of legislation passed is high-quality and well-written, even if I may still have disagreements with it.

As you all may have heard, there have been several efforts to move Kansas from the Southern region to Fremont. What is your stance on irredentism regarding states along our regional borders?
As referenced in my opening statement, the Kansas issue is why I came back, and partly as the only active Kansan in the game, I took the leading voice in ensuring it's defeat in the Senate and challenging it in federal courts. This started as a meme by FM Truman but ended in the loss of life in Conservative, Kansas - it went too far. The issue seems to be at rest and hopefully it stays that way, but if it becomes a contentious topic again, I'll do everything in my power to keep it from happening without risking lives.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »

Happy Birthday, Benson!!!
Benson, former First Dog of the South and of Atlasia, turns 4 today! We celebrated by having a golden party at the dog park, where he enjoyed special treats and got to swim.

Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »

Benson it's your birthday.
God bless you this day.
You gave TM the gift of a little doggo, and I'm proud of you today.

Happy birthday Benson.
Happy birthday Benson.

I wish you love and good will.
I wish you praise and joy.
I wish you better than your tongue desires
for treats as a good boy.

Happy birthday Benson.
Happy birthday Benson.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 05:39:35 AM »

Enthusiastically endorsed!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 09:00:16 AM »

Endorsed
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 03:49:14 PM »

My second round of responses have been posted:

From Ted Bessell: How should the South continue to address the ongoing pandemic?

Masks and social distancing must still be enforced, even though our numbers in Atlasia are lower than what the US is facing. The strict protocols that have been put in place need to stay until a vaccine has been developed and distributed to the masses, until then, laxing the rules too much will result in a second wave. Employers should continue to promote virtual work as much as possible, and the region should declare that all public schools in the region operate virtually for the fall semester.

The South is operating with a very high surplus (I think it is a bit unrealistic but I'll digress) that is intended as a rainy day fund to be used in times of emergency. To me, this qualifies as such. The federal government has taken important steps to stimulate the economy and ensuring unemployment benefits are extended. Where our funds can go to best use is by providing more funding to our regional entities that are affected by COVID-19 - this includes the healthcare industry and our schools as top of mind. I concur with others on the need for mental health funding and will work with delegates and the Governor to introduce a regional COVID-19 relief bill.

From Thumb21: What sort of strategy should the Southern Government be taking over the next few years to get the South out of the recession?
We are fortunate that cases in Atlasia are lower than America, and thus I expect the economic impact isn't as severe. As stated in my last answer, if elected, next session I'll work with members of the government to introduce a COVID-19 relief bill to help provide support to regional entities most affected by COVID-19 - we have a large surplus in the region we can use to fund this without creating any sort of extra burden on the taxpayers. Cutting all taxes isn't the solution here - there is already no personal income or sales tax in the South. I would support a temporary cut in the corporate tax rates for small businesses in the region.

From Ted Bessell: Should Confederate statues and monuments be moved out of the public eye?
Those that are on public land or parks should be moved to museums or Civil War battle sites. There are important lessons we will continue to learn from the Civil War and what happened shouldn't be erased, but I also don't think we should be celebrating people who fought to keep the Union apart. Respect the property rights of any monuments on private land, however.

From DeadPrez: What are your thoughts on the college access act that's being debated on in the senate?

I oppose it and have already spoken against it in the thread. I am glad that the attempt to remove AP tests was removed, but see this bill overall as "legislating for the sake of legislating" and think it creates more problems than it solves, considering it is essentially seizing private entities that I think are operating fine currently. I will make a "moderate hero" remark and say that I'm glad Senator Tack introduced the bill and think it has brought forth healthy debate in the game on the issues, which has been sorely lacking as of late.

From Weatherboy: What is your plan to improve and expand our public transportation systems?

I support an infrastructure bill in the region to work on repairing our crumbling roads and bridges, a problem that has been highlighted in the South in the past. Not only are these updates badly needed, but they will provide employment opportunities for The People at a time of economic uncertainty. I also agree with the importance of supporting affordable public transportation in urban areas - Kansas City has actually moved towards making it completely free for residents, a model which all major cities should strive for.

From Jessica: How do you plan to advance the traditional family? How do you plan to advance freedom of speech and maintain it during this period of constant attack? What kind of punishments for the people that took part in the rioting, looting and thief of our businesses?
Marriage equality has been the law of the land in Atlasia for a very long time - any threat to change that is an attack on my rights and protections. I do know that children are best set up for success when they have parents, biological or not, who love them and care for them. In Kansas, our foster care system is a crisis, and I suspect that it is a problem across the region. I'd like to explore how we can reform the foster care system and make it easier for families to adopt in the region.

I support free speech and also the right to protest - it is constitutionally protected, as long as it remains peaceful. This ties in with the police reform bill I spoke about in my last portions of debate responses and is a center part of my campaign - our police needs more training on de-escalation and social justice, and I'll work hard to get this enacted if I'm elected to the Chamber. Protests have largely been peaceful and have created many productive discussions between The People and local officials. Those who attempted looting and other attacks don't speak for the movement as a whole and were detractors, those who can be identified should be punished for crimes committed against property or other people.

From Spark: If elected, what will you do to address housing in our region?
In response to the answer WB gave, something similar to this has happened in Kansas City in the private sector with public support - an organization called Veterans Community project has created a small community to support veterans and has been wildly successful, proving that a public program like the one you suggested could work. I'd like to help explore this issue with you, a transitional housing option like this is much needed.

Candidate-Specific Questions

Question for Tmth: As the only candidate of the new Democratic Alliance, what are your plans for alliances with other parties in terms of contesting the election?

More importantly, if you find yourself holding the balance of power, what concessions will you request from either side in order to support them?
Well, I no longer am the only candidate, WB is running as well. Smiley I believe I'm the only candidate who has been endorsed by members of all active major parties, which symbolizes the type of campaign I'm running and how I hope to win this weekend.

I'm not a bitter partisan and never will be, I am a consensus builder who will work with all sides in the Chamber on legislation - my campaign is about more than just ideology, it is about creating stability in the Chamber and ensuring that what we do, we do well. I won't "caucus" or take a specific side/request concessions. There has been a lack of quality in debate and legislation this past Chamber - I've already shown I can improve both by just acting as a private citizen, I will be able to do much more as a member of the Chamber.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 04:17:21 PM »

Below is my closing argument in the Southern Chamber debate. The election kicks off in a few hours - this is a bit of a unique position for me, as I don't have a machine or large base behind me like I have in past elections, so have more of an uphill climb. I am relying on bipartisan support to get elected. Regardless of your affiliation, I hope you will consider giving me your vote - I will work very hard for the South next session and won't let you down.

Thank you to our honorable senator, LT, for hosting this debate, and thanks to all of the other candidates who participated. The past few months have been a struggle for the region, but this debate has been a bright spot - many concrete proposals have been suggested, from DTC's Family Opportunity Fund to WB's tiny house public housing proposal. I have suggested tangible solutions as well, including my police reform proposals and correcting the gas tax.

It is important that we continue the momentum from this debate into the next session, and I believe I can play an important role in making sure the next session is one of our best yet. I helped found our region's constitution and have extensive experience at legislating and leading. The past few months while acting as a private citizen, rather than sit on the sidelines as our government was plagued with inactivity, I took an active voice and demanded accountability from our leaders. In the Chamber, I'll work with everyone who is willing to ensure the Chamber is functioning properly - passing quality legislation in a timely manner.

This election is bigger than just partisan affiliations - we have a legislating problem in the South, and it is time to fix it. Whether you are in Labor, DA, Federalist or other, I ask for your vote so I can help clean up this mess and get our region back on track. We might not always agree on the issues, but you can count on me to be a fighter and to work very hard all session long. The South is the best region, it's damn time we start acting like it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies