Minor Party and Independent General Election Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:50:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Minor Party and Independent General Election Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minor Party and Independent General Election Discussion  (Read 20412 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« on: July 16, 2020, 06:04:27 AM »

With this ruling, it's very possible that Biden and Trump are the only ones on the ballot in PA, a fairly high population state that could have effects on third party totals statewide.

Big news if true

Third parties accounted for 4.36% of the vote in 2016.

That's 6x the margin of victory of 0.72%. If voters are forced into a three way choice (Trump, Biden, neither) then a close race could look quite different.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 02:47:11 PM »

anyone know when Washington state announces their ballot?

Military ballots are sent off on Sept. 19th, so well before then.

Additional, the Minor Party & Independent Presidential Candidates Form says that after the ballot has been published, no more than five days may pass before you challenge the presence/absence of candidates on the ballot.

Assuming there's at least a week after that five day period (to allow the courts to rule on ballot challenges), I'd say we have a maximum of two weeks to wait for the filing.

I couldn't find an exact date on the SOS website, so that speculation is all I've got.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »

Any word on the Green Party lawsuit in Wisconsin? Last I heard, the commission deadlocked, along party lines (3 GOP in favour, 3 Dems in opposition to including Hawkins on the ballot).

Is this expected to go anywhere - is Hawkins likely/unlikely to get onto the ballot?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »

Any word on North Dakota?
I believe today’s the filing deadline.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:00:12 AM »

Jorgensen gains over 12,000 Facebook followers since the debate. That might not seem like a lot, but that’s more than her weekly average (9-10,000) every week since August.

I know that means everything but if Internet searches and Facebook like increases are gonna help, then Tulsi would’ve made it to the Spring 2020 race with higher poll numbers.
The Libertarian Party has a very real shot to seriously contest federal and statewide races in 2022. The success is momentous even with the rich donors, surviving and thriving in the US is a tricky ordeal.

Which Senate seats, Attorney General positions, or Governorships do you legitimately expect the Libertarian Party to do well in? I'm honestly interested, because from where I'm sitting, they look like a party without a base, and without a bench of candidates.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 10:22:46 AM »

Does anybody know which states will only have Trump, Biden, and Jorgensen? I know Oklahoma has Kanye on. But which states will Jo be the only alternative?

To my reckoning: Nevada and South Dakota.

In all other states, there are additional parties, or the option to mail in parties like the Greens.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 05:22:48 AM »

Good piece from NY Magazine about the LP nomination this year, and how nominating jokers like Spike Cohen has undercut what’s left of the party’s dignity:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2020/05/libertarians-decide-to-become-a-joke-in-2020.html
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 05:30:09 AM »

Yeah as others have said, Pierce talks well, he just doesn't seem to have much actual policy and even if he's unlikely to actually become President, I'd like some of that.

I've heard that he's openly said this is a rehearsal for 2024, and I'm curious to know what his plan is regarding that.

Presumably he wants a crack at the LP primary? They're still the biggest name in third party politics, and he'll probably have the name recognition after this year.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 05:03:32 AM »

Yeah as others have said, Pierce talks well, he just doesn't seem to have much actual policy and even if he's unlikely to actually become President, I'd like some of that.

I've heard that he's openly said this is a rehearsal for 2024, and I'm curious to know what his plan is regarding that.

Presumably he wants a crack at the LP primary? They're still the biggest name in third party politics, and he'll probably have the name recognition after this year.
Considering how badly received Amash was when he floated the idea, along with the break between the party and the Paul clan, I don’t think the Libertarian Party wants outsiders who just “use” the party for their own ends. Unlike the former aforementioned celebrities and Gary Johnson—what does Brock pierce bring to the table?

Even within the Libertarian Primary, outsider Vermin Supreme lost in the end to the more moderate insider. I think the Libertarians have grown into developing a selection system with party members.

That makes sense. Sorry, I haven't paid close attention to the LP since Gary Johnson's 2016 primary. I hadn't realised the party had circled the wagons like that.

I guess I don't know where else Pierce can go? Without some party infrastructure, or a run for a local office (he's a Puerto Rico resident, so that throws up some issues), I just don't see how 2024 will be much better for him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies