Trump is (probably) kicking me out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 02:36:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump is (probably) kicking me out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trump is (probably) kicking me out  (Read 3313 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2020, 03:14:22 AM »
« edited: July 07, 2020, 03:17:37 AM by Trends are real, and I f**king hate it »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/ice-tells-foreign-students-leave-u-s-if-their-school-n1233026

WASHINGTON — The government announced Monday that international students will not be allowed to stay in the country if the institution in which they're enrolled is holding online-only courses this fall, and those failing to comply with the rules will risk deportation.

Students on F-1 and M-1 visas who face such a situation "must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status," the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said in a news release.

So... yeah. It seems some people on here might finally get their wish.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:18:32 AM »

Get a strong VPN and a mailing address / official address that won't rat you out to the Feds, and then find a place to stay where you don't have to give your name until you graduate or until Biden reverses this. Or will the college terminate you out of fear that they can be legally implicated for allowing you to take classes?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:38:40 AM »

Get a strong VPN and a mailing address / official address that won't rat you out to the Feds, and then find a place to stay where you don't have to give your name until you graduate or until Biden reverses this. Or will the college terminate you out of fear that they can be legally implicated for allowing you to take classes?

Amazingly, UCLA hasn't at all been communicating about this so far. They've sent out scores of emails with meaningless platitudes about COVID or the protests but they don't seem to give a sh**t about their international students.

They'll probably get back to us eventually, and I'm guessing they'll try to find a workaround of some kind, but who the hell knows.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:08:25 AM »

This news makes me so angry and frustrated.

If there's anything I can do from here in Wisconsin to help, please don't hesitate to message me. This is BS and I'm afraid of what it indicates for the future, too. Please stay safe.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 04:11:31 AM »

Amazingly, UCLA hasn't at all been communicating about this so far. They've sent out scores of emails with meaningless platitudes about COVID or the protests but they don't seem to give a sh**t about their international students.

They'll probably get back to us eventually, and I'm guessing they'll try to find a workaround of some kind, but who the hell knows.

It was just announced today. UCLA probably isn't sure what to say yet and is just hoping some federal judge issues an injunction.
BobbieMac
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:53:20 AM »

I'm not sure if the situation is similar in the US, but in the UK, if universities lost their foreign students they would go bankrupt overnight.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 05:12:40 AM »

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's possible they'll amend this shortly so that a handful of countries that just so happen to be majority-white will be exempted from this, so a French/Italian would be okay to stay. Half joking, half serious.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 07:01:18 AM »

I'm not sure if the situation is similar in the US, but in the UK, if universities lost their foreign students they would go bankrupt overnight.

For state schools the main tuition distinction is whether or not the student is a resident of the state. International students would pay the same to go to UCLA as a person from Florida would. Private schools are all different, of course, but I understand from this article that most American private schools do not charge international students higher tuition.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/ice-tells-foreign-students-leave-u-s-if-their-school-n1233026

WASHINGTON — The government announced Monday that international students will not be allowed to stay in the country if the institution in which they're enrolled is holding online-only courses this fall, and those failing to comply with the rules will risk deportation.

Students on F-1 and M-1 visas who face such a situation "must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status," the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said in a news release.

I'm so sorry, hopefully we can at least get some sort of injunction and tie this up in litigation until like February or March of 2021 so that it never actually gets implemented.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 07:55:49 AM »

AFAIK, UCLA is still offering some in-person courses, which would mean this wouldn't apply to you. The rule actually seems pretty easy for schools to get around.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:48 AM »

AFAIK, UCLA is still offering some in-person courses, which would mean this wouldn't apply to you. The rule actually seems pretty easy for schools to get around.

Well I think that makes the Trump administration's motivations clear--forcing colleges to have in-person classes.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »

Like what is even the point in this? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2020, 11:23:05 AM by From Prussia With Love »

Like what is even the point in this? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

The Governor of California literally banned singing at church over coronavirus. Seriously, if the scary germs are sooooo bad that the bill of rights is just dead, then yeah kick out any foreign student who can just as easily take online classes. The priorities the leftwing tyrants have is equally infuriating to us. If its ok to strip us of the 1st amendment, then its more than ok to kick out people who dont even need to be here. You want Trump not to do this, leave the churches alone. You cant claim aliens residing here on student visas while only going to online classes is more important than religious worship. We are done with the lying politicians and phony "experts" obliterating the bill of rights but only for those they disagree with. They pulled down another Serra statue by mob in Cali yesterday. Focus on that schit before you target churches.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 11:09:04 AM »

Yeah, this is abysmal. I'm sorry you might be affected by it Sad
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2020, 11:22:55 AM by From Prussia With Love »

The Governor of California literally banned singing at church over coronavirus. Seriously, if the scary germs are sooooo bad that the bill of rights is just dead, then yeah kick out any foreign student who can just as easily take online classes. The priorities the leftwing tyrants have is equally infuriating to us. If its ok to strip us of the 1st amendment, then its more than ok to kick out people who dont even need to be here. You want Trump not to do this, leave the churches alone. You cant claim aliens residing here on student visas while only going to online classes is more important than religious worship. We are done with the lying politicians and phony "experts" obliterating the bill of rights but only for those they disagree with. They pulled down another Serra statue by mob in Cali yesterday. Focus on that schit before you target churches.

You can worship at home. You can pray at home. My church put services online. Your First Amendment rights are still there.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2020, 11:22:46 AM by From Prussia With Love »

While immigration is one of the issues I lean more moderate/conservative on; I must admit this idea is beyond dumb.

Exactly what harm are foreign college students causing to the United States? If anything you'd want more of them, being more educated immigrants who spend money in the country and what not.

I am not a legal expert, but I am relatively sure that the 1st amendment does allow for banning singing in church, especially during a pandemic.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2020, 11:22:38 AM by Del Tachi »

The Governor of KKKalifornia literally banned singing at church over coronavirus. Seriously, if the scary germs are sooooo bad that the bill of rights is just dead, then yeah kick out any foreign student who can just as easily take online classes. The priorities the leftwing tyrants have is equally infuriating to us. If its ok to strip us of the 1st amendment, then its more than ok to kick out people who dont even need to be here. You want Trump not to do this, leave the churches alone. You cant claim aliens residing here on student visas while only going to online classes is more important than religious worship. We are done with the lying politicians and phony "experts" obliterating the bill of rights but only for those they disagree with. They pulled down another Serra statue by mob in Cali yesterday. Focus on that schit before you target churches.

You can worship at home. You can pray at home. My church put services online. Your First Amendment rights are still there.

I guess you'd be okay with GOP governors making BLM'ers protest at home then?  Their First Amendment rights are still there too, I suppose.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 11:32:47 AM »

The folks on this thread talking about church don't even have the principles to speak on it. If you think you need a building to worship then you don't understand God (for those who believe in God).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »

This is the most whataboutist post you've ever made. I seriously had to double-check the Avatar to make sure fuzzy hadn't changed his to a Virginia conservative.

You're better than this. Be better.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »

You can take online classes at home. You cannot receive catholic rites at home. To us religion matters more than anything period. This flippant disregard for religious worship is evil. Its been more than a month and these mobs are still engaged in violence and the left is ratifying it. More and more normies I talk to think violence is inevitable at this point given the straight up support the media and politicians have for these damn communists while simultaneously gutting our God given rights. I'm sick of this. Church > pulling down statues. You cant only expect 1 group to forfeit their rights when you aren't strongly condemning riots and arresting these criminals.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »

The folks on this thread talking about church don't even have the principles to speak on it. If you think you need a building to worship then you don't understand God (for those who believe in God). Some of these churches are just full of gossips and grifters anyway, so it's not like they are anything more than nightclubs for holy rollers.

Corporeal worship is a fundamental aspect of almost every major religion; and restrictions on such implicate the Free Exercise clause.         
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »

You can take online classes at home. You cannot receive catholic rites at home. To us religion matters more than anything period. This flippant disregard for religious worship is evil. Its been more than a month and these mobs are still engaged in violence and the left is ratifying it. More and more normies I talk to think violence is inevitable at this point given the straight up support the media and politicians have for these damn communists while simultaneously gutting our God given rights. I'm sick of this. Church > pulling down statues. You cant only expect 1 group to forfeit their rights when you aren't strongly condemning riots and arresting these criminals.

It's pretty crazy to want to receive rites while there is a pandemic running rampant. Any church that values it's congregants is not going to risk getting them sick. What is evil disregarding people's health to make political points.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »

This is the most whataboutist post you've ever made. I seriously had to double-check the Avatar to make sure fuzzy hadn't changed his to a Virginia conservative.

You're better than this. Be better.

No. Better does not mean accepting this garbage. This is outrageous. Not a peep from yall about banning choirs but omg how dare Trump limit unnecessary student visas. The media is beyond lying now and their gaslighting is infuriating. Deblasio sent the police to harrass jews at worship while endorsing mass black trans protesters. Mobs in Cali are STILL rioting. Anyone prioritizing literal violent riots and content discrimination in protests while violating religious worship has no moral authority and is illegitimate. If anyone should know better its you. The same week the media ran articles about how good BLM protests are and how Trump having a rally during a pandemic is "dangerous". I watched the Rushmore speech and not a single "mainstream" news channel other than Fox accurately covered what was said. Liar Duckworth said it dealt with "dead traitors" when not a single Confederate was referrenced. I will not believe anything they say now. Im done.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 11:49:22 AM »

The folks on this thread talking about church don't even have the principles to speak on it. If you think you need a building to worship then you don't understand God (for those who believe in God).

Corporeal worship is a fundamental aspect of almost every major religion; and restrictions on such implicate the Free Exercise clause.         

Churches are not even mentioned in the Bible. They are creation of man and living by the word is what is important, not going to some building.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 11:50:13 AM »

It's pretty crazy to want to receive rites while there is a pandemic running rampant. Any church that values it's congregants is not going to risk getting them sick. What is evil disregarding people's health to make political points.

If its evil then I'm sure you'll condemn every BLM protest and/or riot thats occurred since George Floyd as evil right? You think every "health expert" or "doctor" who attended or encouraged these protests should be deplatformed right?

Because if not, you're just a liar and I care even less about what you say.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies