Pelosi, Biden say there is a difference between removing Confederate leaders, past presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:42:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pelosi, Biden say there is a difference between removing Confederate leaders, past presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pelosi, Biden say there is a difference between removing Confederate leaders, past presidents  (Read 2632 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 03, 2020, 09:12:51 PM »
« edited: July 03, 2020, 09:20:47 PM by Hammy »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/not-all-statues-are-the-same-pelosi-says-theres-a-difference-between-removing-confederate-leaders-past-presidents

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Thursday made a distinction between taking down statues of Confederate leaders and those of past U.S. presidents who were slaveowners.

Pelosi has spearheaded an effort to take down 11 statues in the Capitol of Confederate leaders but stopped short Thursday of disavowing statues of President Thomas Jefferson and President George Washington, whom some activists say should no longer be enshrined since they owned enslaved persons.

"It's not about Washington and Jefferson, it's about Alexander Stephens," Pelosi said at a Capitol press conference.

<Snip>

Former Vice President Joe Biden also distinguished between statues honoring the pro-slavery Confederacy and other historic figures who have fallen out of favor. In a press conference Tuesday, Biden said the federal government has an obligation to protect certain monuments, like Washington and Jefferson.

I'm going to have disagree with Pelosi and Biden here. If you were a slaveowner you should be unpersoned from society.

Would you support demolishing the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial? Because that is where your line of thought leads. Your viewpoint would have it that we would subscribe the memory of most of our Presidents up to and after the Civil War. Such a proscription would also include Ulysses S. Grant, who owned slaves at one point in his life.

The Washington Monument isn't a statue, but yes. We, as a society should have evolved to have stop venerating people who owned other people.

Then, following upon this, I suspect you want to tear down the entire country's system of government, then? Since the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence (and the Bill of Rights...) were in large part written by slaveowners, we can't have them guiding us anymore, now can we? To truly purge ourselves of the evils of our country's history, we need to discard these documents, and write completely new ones.

To be fair we have made changes to the constitution on a routine basis up until recently, doing away with the evils of the time (repealing slavery and the apportionment being based on blacks being 3/5 of a person being the most prominent examples.)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:54:09 PM »

I'm going to have disagree with Pelosi and Biden here. If you were a slaveowner you should be unpersoned from society.

Does this include noted slave owner Muhammad, Prophet of the Muslim faith? Can we tear down the Dome of the Rock now?

As much as I'd like to say yes...I'd like to focus on American society before cleaning up the Middle East.

Millions of Americans consider this slaveowner God's Prophet.  What will you tell those Americans whose houses of worship have statues of that particular slaveowner? 

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but when you make statements you make, this is where you end up.

I'm pretty sure having statues of people is forbidden by Islam.

Still, the millions of American Muslims are part of a religion where the Prophet of God was a slaveowner?  Why shouldn't Mohammed be given the Cancel Culture treatment?

Of course, the above-statement is ridiculous.  But how much more is is Cancelling Mohammed when compared to Cancelling George Washington?

Last time I checked there weren't literally thousands of monuments and statues of Mohammad around the country, nor states named after him, so your argument makes no sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies