Future of the anti-Trump GOP voters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:22:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Future of the anti-Trump GOP voters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the future of the Republicans who ditched Trump in 2016 after he is gone?
They’ll return to the GOP fold

They’ll remain with the Democrats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Future of the anti-Trump GOP voters  (Read 3274 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« on: July 04, 2020, 08:35:11 PM »

I mean, they’ll obviously become more reliably Democratic than Democrats.

Omitting the "obvious" part (there's a chance this isn't a long-term trend, but it looks like one w.r.t. the 2016 never-Trumpers), this but (sadly) unironically.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »

I hope they are going to be Democrats.

Why? They skew more hostile than much of the Democratic base to more ambitious reforms, which are (in the main) what is needed to improve material conditions and thereby precipitate the decline of polarisation.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:46 PM »

They'll stay for a decade, we'll see after. If AOC becomes the Dems standardbearer then its easy to see this group switching back to the GOP.

Sadly, I'm not sure AOC is less alienating towards the Romney-Clinton types than Obama-Trump voters (and my belief in this gets stronger with time as she becomes more defined in her role as Designated Villain). They could still swing Republican in a year where she was the nominee, but it doesn't strike me as especially obvious that they'd trend Republican.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 03:14:07 AM »

They'll stay for a decade, we'll see after. If AOC becomes the Dems standardbearer then its easy to see this group switching back to the GOP.

Sadly, I'm not sure AOC is less alienating towards the Romney-Clinton types than Obama-Trump voters (and my belief in this gets stronger with time as she becomes more defined in her role as Designated Villain). They could still swing Republican in a year where she was the nominee, but it doesn't strike me as especially obvious that they'd trend Republican.

Do you guys not remember what you said about the GOP pre-Trump?  Haha, it's as if you weren't 110% convinced that Romney's voters weren't sexist, racist, homophobic xenophobes who ALSO hated the poor ... will Romney-Clinton voters come flooding back to Donald Trump?  Lol, no, he obviously upset them enough to jump ship.  Will the districts they're in "come home" as soon as Trump is gone?  No, an even tiny minority of them remaining Democratic voters mixed with changing demographics and generational displacement would be enough to keep the scales tipped.  However, if is literally insane to talk about someone who voted against Barack Obama and for Mitt Romney as if they were, like, 1950s-style Republicans and not mainstream 2000s American conservatives who would check literally every box you guys trash about Republicans except where they live and the fact that they went to college, haha.

I'm not arguing they're especially prejudiced. I'm saying people most inclined to switch against HRC but not any previous Democratic candidate are also more likely to vote against AOC than almost any other Democrat, primarily because HRC's toxicity was built up through her role as the Designated Villain for decades and AOC has since taken her place on Fox etc (so is more likely than any other Democrat to eventually inherit the same critics).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies