HB 24-20: Appalachian Region Development Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 24-20: Appalachian Region Development Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 24-20: Appalachian Region Development Act (Debating)  (Read 3161 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »

An Act

To increase investment in economic development, environmental reclamation, and other development in localities in the Appalachian Region of Atlasia, and for other purposes.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Appalachian Region Development Act".

Section 2. Definitions

As used in Act, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context —
  (1) the term "eligible applicant" means —
      (a) an entity or individual that has received a loan or loan guarantee under this Act; or
      (b) a cooperative that is eligible to receive a loan or loan guarantee under this Act.
  (2) the term "qualified purpose" shall mean the following —
      (a) the purchase, repair, construction, restoration, or redevelopment, of property or infrastructure, including, but not limited to —
            (A) abandoned mine land, and other approved land;
            (B) abandoned, condemned, blighted property or buildings;
            (C) public roads and sidewalks; and
            (D) public utility poles and underground pipes;
      (b) the cleanup of any lands or water bodies; and
      (c) any other necessary costs for research and development.
  (3) the term "Appalachian region" shall mean —
(a) in Alabama, the counties of Bibb, Blount, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Chilton, Clay, Cleburne, Colbert, Coosa, Cullman, De Kalb, Elmore, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin, Hale, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Macon, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Morgan, Pickens, Randolph, St. Clair, Shelby, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, and Winston;
(b) in Georgia, the counties of Banks, Barrow, Bartow, Carroll, Catoosa, Chattooga, Cherokee, Dade, Dawson, Douglas, Elbert, Fannin, Floyd, Forsyth, Franklin, Gilmer, Gordon, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hall, Haralson, Hart, Heard, Jackson, Lumpkin, Madison, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Rabun, Stephens, Towns, Union, Walker, White, and Whitfield;
(c) in Kentucky, the counties of Adair, Bath, Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Edmonson, Elliott, Estill, Fleming, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Greenup, Harlan, Hart, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, McCreary, Madison, Magoffin, Martin, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Wayne, Whitley, and Wolfe;
(d) in Maryland, the counties of Allegany, Garrett, and Washington;
(e) in Mississippi, the counties of Alcorn, Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Clay, Itawamba, Kemper, Lee, Lowndes, Marshall, Monroe, Montgomery, Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Panola, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Tippah, Tishomingo, Union, Webster, Winston, and Yalobusha;
(f) in New York, the counties of Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Schoharie, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga, and Tompkins;
(g) in North Carolina, the counties of Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Caldwell, Cherokee, Clay, Davie, Forsyth, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, McDowell, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Stokes, Surry, Swain, Transylvania, Watauga, Wilkes, Yadkin, and Yancey;
(h) in Ohio, the counties of Adams, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Columbiana, Coshocton, Gallia, Guernsey, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mahoning, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Vinton, and Washington;
(i) in Pennsylvania, the counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Bradford, Butler, Cambria, Cameron, Carbon, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Columbia, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Fayette, Forest, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Juniata, Lackawanna, Lawrence, Luzerne, Lycoming, McKean, Mercer, Mifflin, Monroe, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Pike, Potter, Schuylkill, Snyder, Somerset, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Union, Venango, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westmoreland, and Wyoming;
(j) in South Carolina, the counties of Anderson, Cherokee, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg, and Union;
(k) in Tennessee, the counties of Anderson, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Cannon, Carter, Claiborne, Clay, Cocke, Coffee, Cumberland, De Kalb, Fentress, Franklin, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Lewis, Loudon, McMinn, Macon, Marion, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Overton, Pickett, Polk, Putnam, Rhea, Roane, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Smith, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union, Van Buren, Warren, Washington, and White;
(l) in Virginia, the counties of Alleghany, Bath, Bland, Botetourt, Buchanan, Carroll, Craig, Dickenson, Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Henry, Highland, Lee, Montgomery, Patrick, Pulaski, Rockbridge, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe; and
(m) all the counties of West Virginia.

Section 3. Establishment

(a) In general. —

There shall be created a "Appalachian Region Development Program", hereafter referred to as the ARDP.

(b) Applications. —

The ARDP shall determine eligible applicants from businesses, other entities, and individuals who apply by determining which proposals for environmental and economic development plans meet —
  (a) the requirements of a qualified purpose; and
  (b) other such aspects as necessary, including, but not limited to —
      (i) feasibility;
      (ii) cost;
      (iii) effectiveness; and
      (iv) any past activities by the applicants.

Section 4. Grants

(a) In general. —

Eligible applicants shall be eligible to receive grants for a reasonable amount as determined by the ARDP, which shall not be required to be paid back by eligible applicants, except where described in this Act.

(b) Terms. —

The ARDP shall establish such reasonable terms and conditions as necessary to ensure participation and proper use of received funds by eligible applicants.

Section 5. Interest free loans

(a) In general. —

Eligible applicants shall be eligible to receive interest-free loans for a reasonable amount as determined by the ARDP.

(b) Terms. —

The ARDP shall establish such reasonable terms and conditions as necessary to ensure participation, proper use of received funds, and repayment by eligible applicants.

Section 6. Compliance

In the event of any —
  (1) fraud;
  (2) misconduct; or
  (3) other misuse of any grant or loan money received as listed in the signed agreements to receive such grant or loan —
      (a) any such grants or loan money received shall be payed back in full; and
      (b) any failure to do so shall result in further civil and criminal penalties.

Section 7. Job training

(a) In general. —

The ARDP shall establish a "Appalachian Region Job Training Program", which shall —
  (a) subsidize, in addition to any other applicable government financial aid programs, the cost of —
      (i) trade school certificate programs;
      (ii) college classes; and
      (iii) other employment training programs as determined by the ARDP; and
  (b) provide assistance and resources for individuals looking for training for a job.

(b) Requirements. —

The ARDP shall determine —
   (a) the requirements needed to be met by individuals applying for job training aid for approval; and
   (b) the amount of aid each individuals shall receive.

Section 8. Appropriations

There is hereby authorized to carry out this Act $[placeholder] for fiscal year 2020, and for each succeeding fiscal year thereafter.

Section 9. Effective date

This Act shall take effect immediately on the date of the enactment of this Act.

Sponsor: Thumb21
House Designation: HB 24-20

72 hours to debate.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 06:20:59 PM »

This is a bill that I brought over from the Senate, it provides investment to Appalachia to help the economy grow there. How much investment that is, is still up in the air - as you can see, there is a [placeholder] in Section 8.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »

Is there a reason we should invest in this area as opposed to our cities and regions where people aren't leaving and actually want to live in? My instinct here is that this is political theatre that ultimately does very little for an area that will continue to depopulate.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »

Is there a reason we should invest in this area as opposed to our cities and regions where people aren't leaving and actually want to live in? My instinct here is that this is political theatre that ultimately does very little for an area that will continue to depopulate.

Respectfully disagree on this one. It shouldn't matter whether people "actually want to live in" Appalachia -- the reality is that a lot of people do live there, aren't planning on leaving anytime soon, and are suffering because of economic problems unique to the region. Helping rural areas and helping cities isn't a binary choice.

The bill seems like it'll be fine once we plug a dollar amount in, and I plan to support it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »

Respectfully disagree on this one. It shouldn't matter whether people "actually want to live in" Appalachia -- the reality is that a lot of people do live there, aren't planning on leaving anytime soon, and are suffering because of economic problems unique to the region. Helping rural areas and helping cities isn't a binary choice.

The bill seems like it'll be fine once we plug a dollar amount in, and I plan to support it.

Detroit, for example, suffers similarly from blight, job loss, population loss, and brain drain. However, as Detroit is a large population in a smaller area, you could more effectively help more people by investing there. Even if we were to pursue this, I don't think it's fair to choose certain groups (mostly whites) to prioritize over other groups (mostly non-whites).

I think there's more value in supporting environmental clean up efforts in former mining areas while investing in jobs where economies have more foundational support. We get a better per dollar return by doing so. Respectfully, I think there's evidence that the economic problems unique to Appalachia are not going to be fixed by this bill. It may have a band-aid effect temporarily, but the root cause of decline is not addressed here and will eventually supercede any artificial investment in this region.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 01:36:29 AM »

Can we get some more discussion on this?

I am concerned prioritizing a very, very white rural region over all of our struggling urban areas and even struggling predominantly minority areas such as agricultural regions of California or Native American lands in the Plains states sends the wrong message.

Pretty much every pink, red, green, and orange county on this map could use some clean up and financial investment. These areas have been overlooked despite providing, in many cases, serious contributions to our economic engine.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:36:53 AM »

It appears (via the Senate thread) that a similar bill was passed late last year. I stand by what I’ve said on the general issue of investment in poor areas, but this particular bill is redundant, and if no one has a compelling argument otherwise I’m probably going to vote nay.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 07:14:53 AM »

I motion to table the bill without a vote.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 08:04:35 AM »

I motion to table the bill without a vote.

Seconded.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 04:03:45 PM »

To table the bill without a vote would require 2/3 of the House to agree to suspend the rules. Are you sure you don't just want to go trough the normal tabling process? Unless i am just misunderstanding and you just meant without a vote on the bill itself.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

To table the bill without a vote would require 2/3 of the House to agree to suspend the rules. Are you sure you don't just want to go trough the normal tabling process? Unless i am just misunderstanding and you just meant without a vote on the bill itself.

Hmm. I had originally called for a final vote, but I deleted it when Ted motioned the table. Personally, I don't think the method matters so if a final vote is easier then we should do that.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »

There is now a tabling vote on the floor

You have 48 hours to vote
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »

Aye
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »

Aye
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 05:31:33 PM »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »

It's funny to see Labor adopt fiscal conservatism when it's welfare for whites that's being debated.  Tears of joy
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 07:21:18 PM »

Aye
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »

It's funny to see Labor adopt fiscal conservatism when it's welfare for whites that's being debated.  Tears of joy

Hmm, I wonder which party opposed economic aid to Appalachia last time it went through the House! Must be a bunch of low-down good for nothing honky haters! Disgusting!
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »

Hmm, I wonder which party opposed economic aid to Appalachia last time it went through the House! Must be a bunch of low-down good for nothing honky haters! Disgusting!
The realignment is real!  Wink
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »

Nay on tabling.

The other bill was almost entirely focused on the Opioid Crisis, while this one is focused on redevelopment, so I think it's a bit of a mischaracterization to say that these bills are the same. There are certainly redundancies (like the creation of a 'Appalachian Region Development Program' when the 'Appalachia Regional Commission' was established in the prior bill) but those could be ironed out with an amendment.

I do agree with others that we should carefully consider how much money we are willing to spend on this one region (at the expense of others), but that's why there's a placeholder for appropriations.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 08:55:16 PM »

Nay on tabling.

The other bill was almost entirely focused on the Opioid Crisis, while this one is focused on redevelopment, so I think it's a bit of a mischaracterization to say that these bills are the same. There are certainly redundancies (like the creation of a 'Appalachian Region Development Program' when the 'Appalachia Regional Commission' was established in the prior bill) but those could be ironed out with an amendment.

I do agree with others that we should carefully consider how much money we are willing to spend on this one region (at the expense of others), but that's why there's a placeholder for appropriations.

The bills aren't exactly the same, but the previous bill increased the ARC's budget by roughly 3400%, separately from the portion addressing the opioid crisis. The agency is already tasked with administering programs like the one set forth here -- although they probably aren't doing exactly this grant program right now, they have ten billion dollars a year to play with, broad discretion on how to use it, and a strikingly similar mission statement to what's set forth here. With the funding increase in the prior bill, I doubt that this bill covers anything not already addressed by the ARC.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 02:42:52 PM »

Nay for the same reasons that Encke have already pointed out.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 04:15:25 PM »

I withdraw my motion, since the Senate isn’t killing the bill and we will likely have to consider some version of this regardless.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 08:26:57 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2020, 09:55:10 AM by Speaker Elcaspar »

Motion to table been withdrawn.

Debate resumes.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp