The 4 US regions and the 4 squares in the political compass
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:08:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The 4 US regions and the 4 squares in the political compass
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 4 US regions and the 4 squares in the political compass  (Read 1168 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »

If you relate each US region to a square in the political compass, is this the correct relation?
South: authoritatian right
West: libertarian right
Mid-west: authoritarian left
Northeast: libertarian left
https://www.politicalcompass.org/
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »

IMO, the West is lib left and Northeast is auth left. South is obviously auth right, but leaving the Midwest as lib right doesn't sit well with me. The Midwest can be the guy in the middle who wants to grill and Alaska can be on its own as lib right.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 12:18:02 AM »

NE-authoritarian left
SE-authoritarian right
MW-libertarian right
W-libertarian left
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »

Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 05:36:44 AM »

blue conservative
red progressive authoritarian
green libertarian left
yellow libertarian right?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »

How left-wing is the west?
The coast, OK, but what about Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Arizona?
Do Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico vote Democratic in recent times because of ideology or because of the large hispanic population?
The coast votes Democratic like the Northeast only since 2008. In 2004, Kerry's margin in California was only 10. Oregon was a battleground state.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 05:54:07 AM »

Do Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico vote Democratic in recent times because of ideology or because of the large hispanic population?
The coast votes Democratic like the Northeast only since 2008. In 2004, Kerry's margin in California was only 10. Oregon was a battleground state.
Out of the 11 states with fully legalized weed 6 are in the west. And I think before 2016 the only ones were in the west.

Especially on the West Coast we’ve also got more left wing policy than on the east coast even in the heaviest Democratic states. Part of it is that old school machine politics aren’t really a thing here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 09:13:30 AM »

conservatives people west of the Mississippi River are different than conservatives people east of it.  I'd rather not use the word "libertarian" because of the baggage ignorant people have attached to it, but there might not be a better word.  The mountain west and plains states are more libertarian than those east of the Mississippi. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2020, 12:45:37 PM by lfromnj »

lol at anyone calling Montana libertarian right when its the only state in the country that isn't at will employment.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »

I think there should be a centrist option, too. It’s a lot like the compass’ stances on grilling with minorities.

Authleft: We love to grill with minorities
Authright: I love to grill minorities
Centrists: I love grilling
Libleft: We love minorities
Libright: I love minors
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 04:49:31 PM »

lol at anyone calling Montana libertarian right when its the only state in the country that isn't at will employment.

Laws /= popular will, ie Wisconsin having RTW and No Medicaid Expansion
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »

How in the hell are Kentucky and West Virginia libertarian states?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »

Moonshiners and disrespect for OSHA regulations.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »

WTF

Where are the libertarian attitudes towards social mores and multiculturalism in KY and WV? Where are the libertarian attitudes towards government spending and other economic issues? It seems to me that West Virginia is the prototypical anti-libertarian state...

Maybe I'm wrong. I have never been there. In that case it means that pretty much everything I have heard about those two states before today is wrong.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »

WTF

Where are the libertarian attitudes towards social mores and multiculturalism in KY and WV? Where are the libertarian attitudes towards government spending and other economic issues? It seems to me that West Virginia is the prototypical anti-libertarian state...

Maybe I'm wrong. I have never been there. In that case it means that pretty much everything I have heard about those two states before today is wrong.
Multiculturalism has nothing to do with libertarianism.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 08:12:01 PM »

In this alternate 1896 election thread I made last month, I actually tackled this very issue without naming it. There's a Midwestern candidate (McKinley), Northeastern (Hewitt), Southern (Tillman), and Western (Teller). You can probably tell which quadrant each is supposed to represent by the colors of their respective political parties.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »

There is nothing remotely libertarian about the Northeast.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 04:20:22 AM »

WTF

Maybe, but I would find very strange a nationalist libertarian or an anti-immigration libertarian.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 02:07:59 PM »

WTF

Maybe, but I would find very strange a nationalist libertarian or an anti-immigration libertarian.

Hmm...
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »

WTF

Hmm...

Are you one?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »

Depends on how you define "nationalist." I think any libertarian country should make an effort to extend the privilege of immigration only to people with libertarian sensibilities. I don't think a country is under any obligation to allow anyone into its borders, so we're perfectly entitled to weed out communists, fascists, religious extremists, and other authoritarians from the immigration pool. We already have enough of these kinds of people in our borders; there's no need to import any more of them. So in the interest of protecting libertarian principles, I am for some immigration restrictions.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 02:24:24 PM »

Depends on how you define "nationalist." I think any libertarian country should make an effort to extend the privilege of immigration only to people with libertarian sensibilities. I don't think a country is under any obligation to allow anyone into its borders, so we're perfectly entitled to weed out communists, fascists, religious extremists, and other authoritarians from the immigration pool. We already have enough of these kinds of people in our borders; there's no need to import any more of them. So in the interest of protecting libertarian principles, I am for some immigration restrictions.

Hmmm...
That is both a reasoning with internal consistency AND something I can't completely reconcile with libertarianism.
Interesting.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »

Hmmm...
That is both a reasoning with internal consistency AND something I can't completely reconcile with libertarianism.
Interesting.

I hold quite a few beliefs that are contrary to libertarianism, but as a whole I think it's the best way of classifying my political ideology. Also the yellow avatar is objectively the most   a e s t h e t i c .
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »

Hmmm...
Interesting.

I hold quite a few beliefs that are contrary to libertarianism, but as a whole I think it's the best way of classifying my political ideology. Also the yellow avatar is objectively the most   a e s t h e t i c .

Yellow is my favourite colour! But I am pretty far from libertarianism.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies