Can a law and order NYC Republican win again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:18:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can a law and order NYC Republican win again?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Can a law and order NYC Republican win again?  (Read 4659 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 05:05:28 PM »

In order for that to happen, the city would need to reach critical mass on the issue of crime.  Staten Island is likely to shift more strongly to the GOP, but where else will the votes come from?  The white working class that nominated Mario Procaccino (1969), Abe Beame (1973) and Ed Koch (1977) isn't there now.  A candidate like Mario Biaggi (a conservative Democrat who was a favorite for the Mayoralty before it turned out he lied to a Grand Jury) doesn't have a constituency anymore.

A coalition of what's left of the outer borough middle class white ethnic voters, Asians and Hispanics fed up with crime in their neighborhoods, and Asians fed up with "progressive" affirmative action policies that discriminate against them and their children.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh wait, you're serious that Asians, specially New York City, are going to rise up over affirmative action? In a mayoral election? Let me stop and laugh harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You laugh, but de Blasio's plan to ditch the test and put racial quotas in NYC's elite public high school admissions has led to protests from the Asian community.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 11:47:14 AM »

^ important to differentiate between East Asian and South Asian here. Flushing went pretty hard for Katz in the DA election, iirc. Doubt that South Asians would ever go in for a "Law and Order" candidate - too many memories of NYPD surveilling mosques.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 11:52:24 AM »

Maybe in 2025, 2029, or 2033

Trump and Giuliani poisoned the NYC GOP for 2021

Giuliani doesn't matter anymore in NYC, except for Queens and Staten Island

Maybe in the 2030s, or 2025 if crime increases, someone like Eric Ulrich wins or someone like that

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2020, 12:01:46 PM by lfromnj »

In order for that to happen, the city would need to reach critical mass on the issue of crime.  Staten Island is likely to shift more strongly to the GOP, but where else will the votes come from?  The white working class that nominated Mario Procaccino (1969), Abe Beame (1973) and Ed Koch (1977) isn't there now.  A candidate like Mario Biaggi (a conservative Democrat who was a favorite for the Mayoralty before it turned out he lied to a Grand Jury) doesn't have a constituency anymore.

A coalition of what's left of the outer borough middle class white ethnic voters, Asians and Hispanics fed up with crime in their neighborhoods, and Asians fed up with "progressive" affirmative action policies that discriminate against them and their children.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh wait, you're serious that Asians, specially New York City, are going to rise up over affirmative action? In a mayoral election? Let me stop and laugh harder.

The SHSAT in NYC is actually an issue that takes place each year and removing it would mostly affect Asian students as most white libs in Manhattan send their kids to private school, but overall yes it would require an actual serious crime increase throughout the city to like 80's levels.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »

What the heck is a "law and order" Repub-

Wait, actually, don't answer that. I think I already know...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »

What the heck is a "law and order" Repub-

Wait, actually, don't answer that. I think I already know...

A law and order Republican is a Giuliani-type without the personal and racial baggage Giuliani has

Someone like an Eric Ulrich or so on....that Republican will have to distance from Giuliani from now on
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 08:01:08 PM »

Would that Republican have to appeal to Black voters or should they ignore Black voters since the GOP and Black Lives Matter can't get along?
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:35 AM »

No, but a law and order NYC Democrat can.

Go Max Rose!
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 12:48:53 AM »

We just elected one to congress.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 04:51:03 AM »

From Staten Island. The most atypical New York borough. So much so, that some refuse to consider it as part of New York city (including some people living there)...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »

Not for mayor, however.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2020, 12:20:06 PM »

From Staten Island. The most atypical New York borough. So much so, that some refuse to consider it as part of New York city (including some people living there)...

Staten Island is NYC....it is just a far out borough
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

NYC Asians have a different socioeconomic and educational profile than elsewhere. Tbh I can't see any Republican winning NYC without also making significant gains with black voters.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2020, 04:42:37 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

NYC Asians have a different socioeconomic and educational profile than elsewhere. Tbh I can't see any Republican winning NYC without also making significant gains with black voters.

What if that NYC Republican sees no reason to engage with Black voters, doesn't care about Black voters to engage them and just appeals to white ethnics+Latinos+Asians+LGBTQ voters and talks about crime.......
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2020, 05:25:41 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

What if that NYC Republican sees no reason to engage with Black voters, doesn't care about Black voters to engage them and just appeals to white ethnics+Latinos+Asians+LGBTQ voters and talks about crime.......

Everyone listed above (except for whites) are wary about over-policing (which is what "law and order" rhetoric really is) and if that's all they talk about, they won't make significant gains with them.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2020, 05:41:45 PM »

^ important to differentiate between East Asian and South Asian here. Flushing went pretty hard for Katz in the DA election, iirc. Doubt that South Asians would ever go in for a "Law and Order" candidate - too many memories of NYPD surveilling mosques.

The former has higher baseline Republican support, but the latter is swinging R more, at least nationally. Not sure if the dynamic with Chinese + Koreans + Filipinos vs Indians + Bangladeshis is different in NYC.

Like lfromnj said, I don’t think any “law and order” Republican could win NYC unless violent crime rises enough to make black voters vote more R. This clip of a black veteran yelling at white (potential?) looters illustrates what I’m getting at.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2020, 09:01:10 PM »

Jonathan Judge?

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/boro-young-republican-leader-out-but-successor-vows-to-continue-fighting-party-establishment/
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2020, 11:39:00 PM »

John Catsimatidis or Curtis Sliwa probably wins the 2021 NYC mayoral election.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Everyone listed above (except for whites) are wary about over-policing (which is what "law and order" rhetoric really is) and if that's all they talk about, they won't make significant gains with them.

No Huh Law and Order are very popular in asian communities.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »

John Catsimatidis or Curtis Sliwa probably wins the 2021 NYC mayoral election.
Lmao, they're both sentient piles of capicola. I'm sure they'd do well in Gerritsen Beach.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »

The former has higher baseline Republican support, but the latter is swinging R more, at least nationally. Not sure if the dynamic with Chinese + Koreans + Filipinos vs Indians + Bangladeshis is different in NYC.
It is. Recent Chinese immigrants are trending R, Koreans, Fillipinos, Indians, and Bangladeshis aren't. Peter Liang was a big catalyst here.
Like lfromnj said, I don’t think any “law and order” Republican could win NYC unless violent crime rises enough to make black voters vote more R. This clip of a black veteran yelling at white (potential?) looters illustrates what I’m getting at.

This is a staged video bro. I actually live here and know the reality of the situation. Being against "crime" here is pretty well divorced from being pro cop. NYPD's enforcement of social distancing basically was a bunch of cops saying it was illegal for black ppl to hang out together. Caused enormous resentment, especially in more heavily patrolled areas like Crown Heights, Flatbush, etc. You're not gonna see pro-cop politics make sways into the Black community until the old guard leaves, which is never.
Looting happened because everyone knew cops were out patrolling the marches. You'd be a fool not to go pick up free designer clothing that was headed to the trash heap anyways (it was all Spring Season stuff).
The cops tried this year to make it into a salient issue. Literally only worked where cops live (South Brooklyn. Staten, Lawn Guy Land). And still, they couldn't flip a single seat in the Assembly or the Senate. Pathetic. If it didn't work this time, why would it work next year?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »

Yeah Cuomo's on his third term, I don't think it'd be that hard for him to win again
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2020, 03:33:38 PM »

It is. Recent Chinese immigrants are trending R, Koreans, Fillipinos, Indians, and Bangladeshis aren't. Peter Liang was a big catalyst here.

This is a staged video bro. I actually live here and know the reality of the situation. Being against "crime" here is pretty well divorced from being pro cop. NYPD's enforcement of social distancing basically was a bunch of cops saying it was illegal for black ppl to hang out together. Caused enormous resentment, especially in more heavily patrolled areas like Crown Heights, Flatbush, etc. You're not gonna see pro-cop politics make sways into the Black community until the old guard leaves, which is never.
Looting happened because everyone knew cops were out patrolling the marches. You'd be a fool not to go pick up free designer clothing that was headed to the trash heap anyways (it was all Spring Season stuff).
The cops tried this year to make it into a salient issue. Literally only worked where cops live (South Brooklyn. Staten, Lawn Guy Land). And still, they couldn't flip a single seat in the Assembly or the Senate. Pathetic. If it didn't work this time, why would it work next year?
Monica Martinez lost to pro cop Alexis Weik, who will be on a presidential ticket one day. So, the cops made NY competitive, which is good. One party states are not good. The cops are not going anywhere, 2021, 2022, they could flip Nassau and Suffolk back to red Republican. Long Island is a swing region.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2020, 05:25:00 PM »

Would that Republican have to appeal to Black voters or should they ignore Black voters since the GOP and Black Lives Matter can't get along?

I think they would end up getting a large chunk of the black vote anyway. If I had to guess, there would be some anti-BLM pushback among a large chunk of black voters by that point.

Sigh. I really hope 45's overperformance among Queens Asians was mostly due to fake news circulating on WeChat and Whatsapp, and not Flushing Chinese genuinely shifting to the right.

As part of a national exit poll project that AALDEF has conducted on Election Day since 1988, the advocacy non-profit sent surveyors to 18 polling sites in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens to speak to in-person voters.

In Queens, voters surveyed expressed a slightly higher preference for President Donald Trump, with 31% of voters choosing the incumbent compared to 66% for Biden. In Brooklyn, the gap was highest for Biden, with 80% of votes for him compared to 18% for Trump. In Manhattan, 72% said they voted for Biden with 25% choosing Trump.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2020, 08:53:04 PM »

That's a pretty clear class line there - Brooklyn's Chinatown in Sunset Park is the poorest, Flushong is the richest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies