OK Medicaid Expansion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:59:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OK Medicaid Expansion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OK Medicaid Expansion  (Read 2163 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« on: June 30, 2020, 10:58:23 PM »

Already say Oklahoma County voted 63% in favor for this and made the different in the state.

I did not look at all the county results yet but.. let me guess.. another urban rural divide?

Mostly, but there are hints of Oklahoma's old East-West divide. We also see some divisions among the normally lockstep GOP suburbs; for example the difference between Okmulgee and Canadian.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:12:23 PM »

Precinct Map!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »

The precinct map made me wonder, if the 5th was Oklahoma County + Norman, would that be a D leaning district?

Well, first off the two counties would produce a very overpopulated district. If you cut out all the reddest turf in the two as you drop down to a district with pop equity, than it is possible to get a tossup seat using 2016 margins. Given what happened in 2018, such a seat would be well on its way to a blue future.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 08:11:40 PM »

I think what this shows is that there’s a perceived problem with the Democratic Party. Democratic Party policies are often popular on their own (see the numerous Medicaid referendums), but the party’s candidates aren’t. I’d assume that this comes from a lot of socially conservative and economically liberal voters who value social conservatism over economic liberalism.

FWIW I think there's a whole host of Conservative ballot measures that could pass; I know it was quite different back then but California was willing to elect democratic senators & strong majorities while passing ballot measures that were quite conservative

Oh, absolutely. Things like the Death Penalty for example. We kept it and tried to streamline it in 2018 (or 2016? Can’t remember off the top of my head).

The key is that negative partisanship operates at the party level. If you take a no-name candidate and tell people their party, 40+% of voters will automatically have a negative perception of that candidate because they associate a suite of hot-button issues with the candidate. When you adopt the party label, most voters are going to assume you back those issues (and typically you do).

Even issues that are ostensibly partisan don't really cut across people's political identities the way that a political party will. Parties bundle issues together; ballot measures on single issues give voters a lot more wiggle room.

With that said, I actually can't think of very many conservative ballot measures that will outrun a Republican candidate. First thing that came to mind was the Nebraska death penalty repeal, but actually the vote against repeal only outran Trump by about 2 points.

The gay marriage amendments from last decade are a good example. They typically outran the GOP because minority voters have views on social issues roughly similar to the distribution among whites, it's just they won't vote for the GOP because of perceived racism/nativism by association. African Americans, motivated by the communally important AA churches,   certainly went for these amendments.

Another example often seen at the local level is commuter transit expansion and development. You could say it's NIMBYism, but those voting against it are often wealthy who would be aligned with the conservatives if not for various things they associate the GOP with.

Potential conservative issues that could see similar success at the ballot are The Right to Die, decriminalization of dangerous drugs, and anything related to bodily or genetic modification if we ever get that technology.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies