Traveling for France + more tips (when coronavirus rolls over?) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Traveling for France + more tips (when coronavirus rolls over?) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Traveling for France + more tips (when coronavirus rolls over?)  (Read 418 times)
gg norman

« on: June 29, 2020, 12:06:03 AM »

Hello,

I plan on visiting France solo and possibly other countries (aiming for Spring 2021). I would like general advice/tips for people who have been to France. About me:

-been to the Rivera in a group once
-can speak/read French at a conversational level
-a not-wealthy guy in 20s, with the darker compextion
-aiming for a week but flexible

My itinerary (very incomplete) contains: the city of Bordeaux, Bretagne, Normandie (I plan to spend a lot of time in the Northwest) and probably the part of the country bordering Switzerland. I'm almost certain to make short stops at Switzlerland and Finland for personal, non-tourist reasons. Some questions:

1. Major attractions? I know about D-Day beaches, Mt. St. Michael, cidre tour, Breton festivals but what else?

2. Is Paris worth spending the time/money? It is compared to Rome but people I know who've been to both say Rome is much better (been there, was GREAT).

3. Beyond castles and wine, what are the main attractions in Bordeaux and the Loire Valley? Same for the parts between Paris and Switzerland?

4. What about crime? Racism?

5. Are there any taboos and such I should avoid as a foreigner?

6. Anything else I should know?

gg norman

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Del Tachi
Pssh, what is the point of going to France (or Europe, even!) if you don't go to Paris!?

Well I went to France and bits of western Europe before for a work-related trip, time and oppurtunity cost you know? I could always go again with people who haven't been their either but I've also heard a lot of less than steller things about Paris, both from French people (likely non-Parisians) and tourists: dirty, smelly, not-tourist friendly, crime, overrated, Paris syndrome, etc. When I ask about an alternative major city, the one that usually comes up is...

Quote from: Blairite
Bordeaux

But the more I research, the less likely I have time for it anyways, esp. if Switzerland takes up a bit of time.

Quote from: parochial boy
very useful info

Thank you very much! This actually gives me a map of what-to-where to tinker with, hopefully the coronavirus situation improves by then.
gg norman

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2020, 05:37:03 PM by gg norman »

It would be helpful to know where in Switzerland OP wanted to go for personal reasons, and if (s)he could push their trip to two or three weeks.

I am still waiting on details to be exact but I would be staying in the German-speaking part, maybe Zurich?... okay it will be in Basel.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone here helping me brainstorm some ideas even though current events make it hard to predict.

Also, this wouldn't my first time traveling to France and more in Europe. I managed to do 6 countries in less than 2 weeks the last time I visited (excluding layovers!); it was very tiring but reward too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies