Traveling for France + more tips (when coronavirus rolls over?) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:42:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Traveling for France + more tips (when coronavirus rolls over?) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Traveling for France + more tips (when coronavirus rolls over?)  (Read 410 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: June 30, 2020, 08:43:05 AM »

Generally speaking, there are two kinds of people in the world: people who love Paris, and people who do not. You know which kind you are before you set foot in it, and visiting will confirm your suspicions. Trust your intuition on that. Even as a not-Paris person, it is very important to visit once (so maybe you can make this your time) to see the art galleries. That said, I have now been twice and see no need to go back a third time.

For what it's worth, I was supposed to be in France in March - I was booked in Arles for a few days (where you can make easy day-trips to Montpellier, Marseille, and Avignon) and then Toulouse for a few days. Arles seemed lovely, and the proximity to other things is great.

Paris can be those things, but it's also extraordinary. You just have to know where to go and keep realistic expectations. There is no city that can act as a substitute. It isn't everyone's favorite place in the world (although almost everyone can have a good experience) but it's like NYC--if you're visiting the USA you wouldn't pass up a chance to visit New York for Albuquerque.

I often tell Europeans who haven't been to the US to not spend too much time in New York. It's not actually reflective of the rest of the country. It's one of a kind—so, if you're visiting the US for the first time, why let your view of the US be colored by somewhere that has nothing to do with the culture of the rest of the country? I usually tell them to spend more time in Chicago.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies