Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops - Trump has known for months
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:11:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops - Trump has known for months
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops - Trump has known for months  (Read 6824 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2020, 02:51:51 PM »

For anyone who has trouble getting through the NYT's paywall,

Report: Russia offered bounties on killing US troops
Citing officials briefed on the matter, the Times said the United States determined months ago that a Russian military intelligence unit linked to assassination attempts in Europe had offered rewards for successful attacks last year.

Islamist militants, or armed criminal elements closely associated with them, are believed to have collected some bounty money, the newspaper said.
President Donald Trump has been briefed on the intelligence finding, the Times said. It said the White House has yet to authorize any steps against Russia in response to the bounties.

That second quoted line is, yet again, something that Obama or Hillary would have been justifiably impeached for in a heartbeat. Absolutely disgusting.

How hard is it to contact Putin, or have our Secretary of State Contact their foreign minister, to deliver the clear an ambiguous message that the bounties need lifted, and if our intelligence sources don't confirm that they have been ASAP including any off-the-record offers, we will institute a similar program in the Ukraine, and otherwise power up on sanctions and other diplomatic penalties?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »

"There is no defense of this except questioning my continued worship of trump, so it MUST be fake news!!!"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »

This coming out ~4 months ahead of an election would sink a normal incumbent President.

This won’t even be news by next week.

So painfully sad, so painfully true.

I'm pretty sure that Republicans have continually lowered their standards, not mention creating double standards, since the origination of Fox News, but Trump has accelerated to light speed the decline of their standards for a president.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »

Ratcliffe was chosen for this position explicitly because he proved himself during the impeachment trial to be a loyal stooge to Trump. He had a close confirmation Vote where even Joe manchin voted against him because such widespread as concerns he would politicize the intelligence agency. Compare this to Dan coats who was confirmed 85 to 12.

In short, he's lying.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2020, 04:28:29 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 04:54:31 PM by All I want to do is boogaloo! »

"There is no defense of this except questioning my continued worship of trump, so it MUST be fake news!!!"
"I'll throw a barb at Sanchez for alleged Trump worship while simultaneously throwing my blind trust behind a historically bad intelligence agency with a record of sins ten miles long. Though this is obviously hypocritical, I shall continue on because I lack the personal insight to even question my own beliefs. In fact, I'm so lame that I'm going to post Sanchez's response to the irony ore mine or something like that because all I'm capable of doing is moving the goal posts."
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »

Seems that Trump’s attempt to distract by RTing a tweet with someone yelling “white power” is working.

This has fallen way down in the headlines.

Absolutely absurd - this is a huge story.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2020, 05:16:29 PM »

Sometimes I think people really understate how much of an enemy Russians are. They straight up are trying to kill our troops. These aren’t our friends.

The Russians are just repaying the favor, we did the same thing to them in Afghanistan. It's Trump's supplicant behavior towards Russia and Putin that has always been the scandal.

When were the Russians even in Afghanistan?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2020, 05:20:14 PM »

For anyone who has trouble getting through the NYT's paywall,

Report: Russia offered bounties on killing US troops
Citing officials briefed on the matter, the Times said the United States determined months ago that a Russian military intelligence unit linked to assassination attempts in Europe had offered rewards for successful attacks last year.

Islamist militants, or armed criminal elements closely associated with them, are believed to have collected some bounty money, the newspaper said.
President Donald Trump has been briefed on the intelligence finding, the Times said. It said the White House has yet to authorize any steps against Russia in response to the bounties.

That second quoted line is, yet again, something that Obama or Hillary would have been justifiably impeached for in a heartbeat. Absolutely disgusting.

How hard is it to contact Putin, or have our Secretary of State Contact their foreign minister, to deliver the clear an ambiguous message that the bounties need lifted, and if our intelligence sources don't confirm that they have been ASAP including any off-the-record offers, we will institute a similar program in the Ukraine, and otherwise power up on sanctions and other diplomatic penalties?

To be fair to Mr. Trump, it's publicly documented that he spent much of the next few weeks on the phone with Putin.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »

"I'll throw a barb at Sanchez for alleged Trump worship while simultaneously throwing my blind trust behind a historically bad intelligence agency with a record of sins ten miles long. Though this is obviously hypocritical, I shall continue on because I lack the personal insight to even question my own beliefs. In fact, I'm so lame that I'm going to post Sanchez's response to the irony ore mine or something like that because all I'm capable of doing is moving the goal posts."
“I’m going to accuse the IC over being the ones with trust issues over Trump and have little to no self awareness about that while I accuse everyone else of being the ones blinded by personal bias” is equally true of your position in this thread tbh
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 06:08:33 PM »

Sometimes I think people really understate how much of an enemy Russians are. They straight up are trying to kill our troops. These aren’t our friends.

The Russians are just repaying the favor, we did the same thing to them in Afghanistan. It's Trump's supplicant behavior towards Russia and Putin that has always been the scandal.

You're kidding right?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »

The 80s, the war is called the Soviet-Afghan War.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »

Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »

Oof
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »

"Brevity is the soul of wit."-- Shakespeare
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2020, 10:44:52 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2020, 11:18:16 PM »

Lol he’s such a bad liar
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2020, 11:28:16 PM »

Lol he’s such a bad liar

Well, his voters are just that gullible, so it's a good match.

I mean, seriously. If he yells "Fake News" during a tweet oh, he can get most of his supporters to believe 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2020, 08:13:05 AM »

I rather doubt that, since modern Russia didn't even exist until 1991, years after that Soviet-Afghan war ended.

If the Russian and the Soviets are held to be the same thing (which they technically and legally are not), then Donald Trump is not just doing business with and sucking up to a sometime global rival with a shady government, he's actively aligned himself with a nation and government that have been the open enemies of American and democracy since the end of World War II. That, in turn, would make him (and all the Republicans supporting him) flat-out traitors, rather than just a despicable band of bigoted fascists.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2020, 08:51:37 AM »

AP confirms

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2020, 09:13:25 AM »

I rather doubt that, since modern Russia didn't even exist until 1991, years after that Soviet-Afghan war ended.

If the Russian and the Soviets are held to be the same thing (which they technically and legally are not), then Donald Trump is not just doing business with and sucking up to a sometime global rival with a shady government, he's actively aligned himself with a nation and government that have been the open enemies of American and democracy since the end of World War II. That, in turn, would make him (and all the Republicans supporting him) flat-out traitors, rather than just a despicable band of bigoted fascists.
You’re splitting hairs to cover yourself. Cringe.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2020, 10:43:55 AM »

**Sigh** Not only does the current Russian state claim Soviet achievements such as the Victory in World War II and the Space Program as crucial to its legitimacy, much as they were to the USSR's, Russia has declared itself and is near-universally recognized as the legal successor state to the Soviet Union.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »

Anyone want to defend this?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2020, 01:22:23 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2020, 09:30:06 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Lindsey Graham?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2020, 03:12:06 PM »

Who is "Intel"? Does Mr. Trump mean 'Putin'? Because he keeps telling us that the United States intelligence community is a bunch of liars and leakers out to get him.

(Yes, I know, he probably means DNI Ratcliffe. But saying "Ratcliffe told me so" is a lot like "my hand puppet told me so", which is why we're getting the obfuscation. Or he's just making it up.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »

" good grief this is a fundamental betrayal of anything remotely approaching bipartisanship on foreign policy, not to mention fundamentally sacrificing our nation and troops best interest so he can remain Pals or even business partners with Putin. This is extremely worrisome and no president regardless of party should ever...

Wait! Some hippies in Portland just knocked over a statue of Columbus! Antifa is running wild!! 4 MORE YEARS!! 4 MORE YEARS!!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies