If elected will Joe Biden be a transformative or transitional president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:22:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If elected will Joe Biden be a transformative or transitional president?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will Joe Biden be a transformative or transitional president?
Transformative

Transitional

A bit of both

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: If elected will Joe Biden be a transformative or transitional president?  (Read 1409 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 08:40:36 PM »

Bold take: Obama, Trump, and Biden are transitional presidents for who comes next. They're all basically tourniquets for their respective parties to get little done without bleeding too much support. I'm positive that this is the last election of this era we've been in for a long time.

So Obama. Trump, and Biden are the Nixon, Carter, and Ford (respectively) of this era? I consider the Nixon/Ford and Carter administrations to be the transition to Reagan.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 08:54:08 PM »

This depends less on Biden himself and more on the size of a possible Democratic Senate majority.

If there is a big Democratic win in the Senate and we somehow get to 53+ Democratic senators, there is the possibility for significant things happening.  Any lower than that I cannot see them corralling the votes to change the filibuster.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 09:02:01 PM »

What does that even mean?

Biden is basically running for Obama’s third term.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »

Was Obama transitional or transformative?
Is Trump transitional or transformative?
What does it all mean?
I could argue that the last non-transformative president was George H. W. Bush, because he was basically doing Reagan's 3rd term.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »

Neither.

No President is "transitional."

But Biden isn't going to be transformational (hoping to be wrong though).
pollvaulter
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2020, 06:14:48 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2020, 06:19:53 PM by pollvaulter »

Bold take: Obama, Trump, and Biden are transitional presidents for who comes next. They're all basically tourniquets for their respective parties to get little done without bleeding too much support. I'm positive that this is the last election of this era we've been in for a long time.

So what do you think comes next?

Economic nationalism, the populists in both parties want it. Tear away a lot of the media character slander & you'll notice that Josh Hawley & AOC are talking about the exact same things. Anti-corporation, anti-Wall Street, anti-Big Tech, pro-small business, pro-renters rights, anti-Big Pharma / Big-Healthcare.

This is a good representation of where we're going, 29% of the electorate in 2016 was in the quadrant of socially conservative but economically liberal.

Right now, we're in the midst of a paradigm shift akin to the 1940s, when that was the rise of the US as a superpower, we're now in the decline of the neoliberal order / Chimerica. AOC has a ton of popularity to millennials, but I think she's not a great policymaker. Whereas the younger figures on the right really have thought about reforming the ways the GOP should operate. The GOP has a huge bench of GenX leaders. Rubio, Cotton, Hawley, Tim Scott, hell even Tucker Carlson (he could potentially run for office) are what the post-Trump GOP era will be at policy wise. They all have dropped the libertarian purity that the Boomer GOP politicians have, and eventually a lot of the Millennials will recognize this and get behind it.

You can see the early signs of this in the culture too. I think the decline in religion will reverse as GenX takes more of the reigns of power away from the Boomers. Oddly, I think Kanye is early to this more community oriented, religious revival that will be a lot more accepting of gay people. Millennials are starving for community, and Kanye kind of sells religion in a way that is really appealing to Millennials, so keep your eye on that.

Honestly, I'll say it now, Tim Scott will be the next GOP president, probably in 2024. He really represents how we bridge the divide of America. Tim Scott will signal the trend of the black community fully embracing the Republican party, and the Democrats will struggle to push the GOP racism narrative with Scott. They also won't be able to pull the tokenist / uncle tom narrative, which Scott pushes back on, and I really believe Millennials will recognize the derogatory way people like Al Sharpton have used these type of pejoratives to divide us.

He's a very genuine figure, and well liked by younger Democrat black leaders in Congress,  Cory Booker calls him a good friend. I see him being the perfect post-Obama/Trump racial tension era type figure who has the chops to move us forward in a positive way. The reason why I say this? Because Tim Scott won both of his Senatorial elections with 60%+ share of the vote, which is higher than Lindsay Graham ever won his seat by. If he can do that in South Carolina, then he'd win a national election in a landslide.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »

Economic nationalism, the populists in both parties want it. Tear away a lot of the media character slander & you'll notice that Josh Hawley & AOC are talking about the exact same things. Anti-corporation, anti-Wall Street, anti-Big Tech, pro-small business, pro-renters rights, anti-Big Pharma / Big-Healthcare.

This is a good representation of where we're going, 29% of the electorate in 2016 was in the quadrant of socially conservative but economically liberal.

Right now, we're in the midst of a paradigm shift akin to the 1940s, when that was the rise of the US as a superpower, we're now in the decline of the neoliberal order / Chimerica. AOC has a ton of popularity to millennials, but I think she's not a great policymaker. Whereas the younger figures on the right really have thought about reforming the ways the GOP should operate. The GOP has a huge bench of GenX leaders. Rubio, Cotton, Hawley, Tim Scott, hell even Tucker Carlson (he could potentially run for office) are what the post-Trump GOP era will be at policy wise. They all have dropped the libertarian purity that the Boomer GOP politicians have, and eventually a lot of the Millennials will recognize this and get behind it.

You can see the early signs of this in the culture too. I think the decline in religion will reverse as GenX takes more of the reigns of power away from the Boomers. Oddly, I think Kanye is early to this more community oriented, religious revival that will be a lot more accepting of gay people. Millennials are starving for community, and Kanye kind of sells religion in a way that is really appealing to Millennials, so keep your eye on that.

Honestly, I'll say it now, Tim Scott will be the next GOP president, probably in 2024. He really represents how we bridge the divide of America. Tim Scott will signal the trend of the black community fully embracing the Republican party, and the Democrats will struggle to push the GOP racism narrative with Scott. They also won't be able to pull the tokenist / uncle tom narrative, which Scott pushes back on, and I really believe Millennials will recognize the derogatory way people like Al Sharpton have used these type of pejoratives to divide us.

He's a very genuine figure, and well liked by younger Democrat black leaders in Congress,  Cory Booker calls him a good friend. I see him being the perfect post-Obama/Trump figure to really move the needle past the racism in America. The reason why I say this? Because Tim Scott won both of his Senatorial elections with 60%+ share of the vote, which is higher than Lindsay Graham ever won his seat by. If he can do that in South Carolina, then he'd win a national election in a landslide.

Scott won’t win a Republican primary.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »

Economic nationalism

Warrenism?
pollvaulter
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »

Economic nationalism

Warrenism?

Warren, Rubio, & Hawley have been some of the most active Senators trying to de-monopolize our economy & implement pro-small business / pro-worker policies. Rubio especially as he is the Chairman of the Small Business Committee. I call this economic nationalism. Neither Trump nor Warren own it. It's about who is effective at making things happen, and both parties have people trying to rethink how Congress can properly govern our country again.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies