Why aren't dems impeaching Fairfax?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:31:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why aren't dems impeaching Fairfax?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why aren't dems impeaching Fairfax?  (Read 1135 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »

Seriously!
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 03:02:12 PM »

Probably to not bring up the whole thing around the allegations up again, I suppose?

Herring, Fairfax and Northam all survived the whole 2019 controversies quite well in comparison to how pressured they were to resign (especially Northam and Fairfax). The latter two will not have a career in politics anyways anymore (even if Fairfax runs for Governor, he will fail badly). An impeachment process would be covered in the news in unfavorable light for Democrats probably and hurt them more (especially ahead of elections) than help.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »

Probably to not bring up the whole thing around the allegations up again, I suppose?

Herring, Fairfax and Northam all survived the whole 2019 controversies quite well in comparison to how pressured they were to resign (especially Northam and Fairfax). The latter two will not have a career in politics anyways anymore (even if Fairfax runs for Governor, he will fail badly). An impeachment process would be covered in the news in unfavorable light for Democrats probably and hurt them more (especially ahead of elections) than help.

With Northam's governorship shaping up (in some ways) to have been fairly transformative and arguably successful, I don't see why his scandal (which is old news and less serious than Fairfax's to begin with) would necessarily end his future VA political career.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 04:13:28 PM »

Because he'll be out of office in a year and a half.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »

As far as I can tell, he doesn't actually do anything as LG apart from make bizarre tweets about himself in third person.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »

Impeachment would be an incredibly dangerous precedent due to the fact he hasn't been proven guilty.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 11:47:47 PM »

Remember that the push to oust Northam/Fairfax got stalled once people realized that the next individual in line after Attorney General - the Speaker of the House - was a Republican back in early 2019. I think they don't want to have the allegations surrounding these three individuals dominating the headlines when there is the potential for a Republican successor in the aftermath.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 12:09:26 AM »

What did he do?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 12:12:15 AM »

He had multiple credible sexual assault allegations raised against him dating to 2000 & 2004.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 12:19:36 AM »

He had multiple credible sexual assault allegations raised against him dating to 2000 & 2004.

Are there any merit to the accusations?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 12:33:57 AM »

One of the accusers went public over a year before the 2019 political crisis, but received little attention because nobody thought the Lt. Gov.'s existence was relevant 'til the crisis happened. I'd be much more skeptical of these allegations if they were new, but the fact that they were made against a politically irrelevant (at the time) Lt. Gov. by somebody who's a member of the same political party as him makes it hard for it to be credulously claimed that it's a politically-motivated hit job, as Fairfax perpetually claims.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 12:55:02 AM »

One of the accusers went public over a year before the 2019 political crisis, but received little attention because nobody thought the Lt. Gov.'s existence was relevant 'til the crisis happened. I'd be much more skeptical of these allegations if they were new, but the fact that they were made against a politically irrelevant (at the time) Lt. Gov. by somebody who's a member of the same political party as him makes it hard for it to be credulously claimed that it's a politically-motivated hit job, as Fairfax perpetually claims.

Accusations are dime a dozen.

Has there been an investigation that found wrongdoings on the part of Fairfax?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 01:19:58 AM »

IIRC Duke University authorities & the Suffolk County DA have launched ongoing investigations into the respective allegations.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 01:27:20 AM »

IIRC Duke University authorities & the Suffolk County DA have launched ongoing investigations into the respective allegations.

So far, has any wrongdoing on the part of Fairfax been found?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 01:38:46 AM »

We have the press reporting on at least 7 associates of both victims corroborating that they'd been told about the alleged assaults, but seeing as the ongoing investigations are ongoing & I - an undergraduate college student - am obviously not a member of either of the bodies conducting said investigations, I can't tell you what they've uncovered "so far."
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 02:07:53 AM »

We have the press reporting on at least 7 associates of both victims corroborating that they'd been told about the alleged assaults, but seeing as the ongoing investigations are ongoing & I - an undergraduate college student - am obviously not a member of either of the bodies conducting said investigations, I can't tell you what they've uncovered "so far."

The "associates" can corroborate what the accusers told them. They could not corroborate whether Fairfax sexually assaulted the accusers or not.

Also, I disagree with your use of the word "victims" because it implied that the accused is guilty. You should instead use "accusers" or "alleged victims".
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »

The "associates" can corroborate what the accusers told them. They could not corroborate whether Fairfax sexually assaulted the accusers or not.

Also, I disagree with your use of the word "victims" because it implied that the accused is guilty. You should instead use "accusers" or "alleged victims".

Why are you determined not to believe them?

And before you say innocent until proven guilty, this is not a court of law.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »

Are you saying that, since this is not the court, the accused should be presumed guilty until proven innocent?

Are you saying that it is okay to spoil someone's reputation and end someone's career over unproven allegations?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:38 AM »

Are you saying that, since this is not the court, the accused should be presumed guilty until proven innocent?

Are you saying that it is okay to spoil someone's reputation and end someone's career over unproven allegations?

You just seem to go out of your way defending Fairfax.  You completely ignored a previous poster's analysis of how it would not have been politically expedient for one of the accusers to come forward, and that she did so a year before the scandal broke.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »

You just seem to go out of your way defending Fairfax.  You completely ignored a previous poster's analysis of how it would not have been politically expedient for one of the accusers to come forward, and that she did so a year before the scandal broke.

It has nothing to do with Fairfax. I would have said the same if the accused is Joe Sixpack.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 01:19:37 AM »

I'd say it's fine to call for his resignation. However impeaching g without the proof sounds very dangerous.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 01:55:34 AM »

Fairfax took the classy move of trying to sue the news companies when they reported it & lost.

Four of his staffers quit, his law firm placed him on leave and he was let go from another job. There's multiple & frankly credible allegations.

Just like with Roy Moore sometimes people don't want to accept credible allegations from multiple women- there's generally no point in endlessly debating it when some people will only accept it once they have video evidence.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/11/media/cbs-justin-fairfax-lawsuit/index.html
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2020, 06:58:54 AM »

Wow I didn't know almost anything about Justin Fairfax but from what I've read in this thread he seems like a Trump of the left (bizarre tweets? multiple sexual assault allegations against him? that he insists are politically motivated hatchet jobs? suing news companies?), damn.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 01:34:02 AM »

Don't have anything to say about Fairfax, but daily reminder that Northam 100% considered moonwalking during that press conference until his wife stopped him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies