2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:42:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25781 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: December 29, 2020, 03:03:59 PM »

It's not going to snow anymore in DFW, and in other bad news for me, the Texas Bowl (TCU vs Arkansas) has been cancelled due to covid Sad
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #926 on: December 30, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »

Changing my pick in Oklahoma-Florida to the Sooners.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #927 on: December 30, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »

I am also changing my pick from Florida to Oklahoma
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #928 on: December 30, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »

The reason for the change, of course, was that 10 Florida starters are sitting out the Cotton Bowl, mostly because they're going pro. We are seeing the results of that now, with OU up 17-0 and (Heisman Finalist) Trask having thrown three interceptions, almost certainly in part because Florida's four best receivers opted out.

This game is, I think, the biggest proof yet that an expanded playoff is necessary. If ten starters are opting out of an NY6 game, its a clear sign that the NY6 no longer has the distinction and value it did under the BCS. They need to go ahead and get rid of them in favor of an 8 team playoff.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #929 on: December 30, 2020, 09:45:25 PM »

The reason for the change, of course, was that 10 Florida starters are sitting out the Cotton Bowl, mostly because they're going pro. We are seeing the results of that now, with OU up 17-0 and (Heisman Finalist) Trask having thrown three interceptions, almost certainly in part because Florida's four best receivers opted out.

This game is, I think, the biggest proof yet that an expanded playoff is necessary. If ten starters are opting out of an NY6 game, its a clear sign that the NY6 no longer has the distinction and value it did under the BCS. They need to go ahead and get rid of them in favor of an 8 team playoff.

Alternatively, the NFL could establish a minimum number of games played in college to be draft-eligible (which might force players to play bowl games.)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #930 on: December 30, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »

Oklahoma was the much better team for starters. But I guess the SEC fans needed another excuse.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #931 on: December 30, 2020, 10:01:30 PM »

The only purpose of non-playoff bowl games is to enable programs to maintain their practice year round.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #932 on: December 30, 2020, 11:14:56 PM »

The only purpose of non-playoff bowl games is to enable programs to maintain their practice year round.

You're lucky that Atlas doesn't have any Rose Bowl fanatics to provide a few pages about The Mystique and Tradition of the Oldest Bowl.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #933 on: December 31, 2020, 12:07:21 AM »

You're lucky that Atlas doesn't have any Rose Bowl fanatics to provide a few pages about The Mystique and Tradition of the Oldest Bowl.
I would ordinarily be delighted to fill this role, but Stanford won the last game played at the Rose Bowl this season and I'd prefer people didn't look into the details of that very legitimate Rose Bowl victory.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #934 on: December 31, 2020, 01:25:52 AM »

The Rose Bowl is more important than the CFP Championship.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #935 on: December 31, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »

Ball State, which was picked by only one person (Illiniwek) currently leads San Jose State 27-0 -- with 10 minutes left in the first half.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #936 on: December 31, 2020, 03:31:31 PM »

Ball State, which was picked by only one person (Illiniwek) currently leads San Jose State 27-0 -- with 10 minutes left in the first half.

Obviously, San Jose had many players sit out to prepare for the draft.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #937 on: December 31, 2020, 03:47:39 PM »

The 11th-12th best team in the SEC beats the 2nd best team in the AAC. #Power6?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #938 on: December 31, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »

Does the CFP have a parade? No
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #939 on: December 31, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »

Does the CFP have a parade? No

Every bowl game has a parade as far as I know.

I know this first-hand from my college marching band days, as no college-age person wants to march in them.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #940 on: December 31, 2020, 05:14:17 PM »

The Wisconsin Badgers captured the Duke's Mayo Bowl and the trophy that came along with it.

And then they broke it.

While dancing around to celebrate his team's 42-28 victory over Wake Forest on Wednesday, quarterback Graham Mertz dropped the football-shaped piece of Lenox crystal, leaving it shattered on the floor of the locker room after it fell off its base.
But not to worry: Mertz was able to "fix" the trophy by taping a bottle of Duke's mayonnaise to the base, as evidenced in his Instagram story.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30626036/wisconsin-badgers-accidentally-shatter-trophy-celebrating-duke-mayo-bowl-win
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #941 on: January 01, 2021, 01:28:05 AM »

Very sad that Army lost. I guess winning at football is harder than cheating on a calculus exam.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #942 on: January 01, 2021, 01:52:56 AM »

Very sad that Army lost. I guess winning at football is harder than cheating on a calculus exam.

Well, they failed at cheating too.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #943 on: January 01, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »

CC
ULL
GA St
OSU
CU
UW
Iowa
OU
Tulsa
San Jose
Army
TCU

UGA
Northwestern
Alabama
OSU
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #944 on: January 01, 2021, 01:43:16 PM »

Most expensive losers of all time.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #945 on: January 01, 2021, 02:05:16 PM »

Most expensive losers of all time.

*cough* Trump *cough*
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #946 on: January 01, 2021, 02:47:16 PM »

You were saying?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #947 on: January 01, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

You were saying?

Not to mention Tulsa dominated Mississippi State outgaining them by over 200 yards. Cincinnati and Georgia are nearly evenly matched and the game shows so far. And Georgia was the clear second best team in the conference for the last half a season.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #948 on: January 01, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »

Wow, what an ending!  All credit to Cincinnati; even in the loss, they certainly looked the part of a top team.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #949 on: January 01, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »

How do you not run it on third and two to get the clock under a minute.

Georgia may have well still had that drive but 90 seconds vs 50 seconds means everything. Ah well, lived up to the hype of 'the only bowl game I care to watch'
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies