2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:45:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 41
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25645 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: December 06, 2020, 11:40:40 AM »

Zaven Collins has been transformational — Montgomery was on track to get fired this season, and they certainly weren't supposed to break the top 25. 96-yard game-winning pick-six in double overtime is about as Heisman a moment as you can ask for. He'd be my vote. Unfortunately for him, he plays the wrong position for the wrong school in the wrong conference and most of his games have been on ESPN+.

Like the rest of the free world, I didn't know anything about him until I saw him in the Tulane game, he looks like a DE who could play DB.  Reading about him he played QB/S at a small high school but he is big and plays big.  He's got a great highlight reel and a story, plus I think Tulsa plays Cincinnati still, so he has one chance to impress in a higher profile game.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #701 on: December 06, 2020, 05:30:14 PM »

Disappointed at not betting on Stanford or Cal, as I saw potential. (I had a tiny piece of Cal, but Kentucky is playing too well for it to pay) Still think there's a bit of value left tonight. Have Fresno State +5.5, ASU moneyline, Oregon State moneyline and +14.5, and a bet that I really hate but made anyway, Wyoming ATS for the parlays.

Well, at least Oregon State only lost by 6.
Yeah, the west coast games ate into my Indiana profits, but thankfully the moneyline odds on Indiana were so good I ended up in profit. That's gambling, just need one good hit.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #702 on: December 06, 2020, 08:30:43 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2020, 07:52:33 PM by Terry the Fat Shark »

Week 15 games

Friday, December 11th

Arizona State @ Arizona 7 PM EST ESPN

Nevada @ San Jose State 10 PM EST CBSSN

Saturday, December 12th

#16 Wisconsin @ #19 Iowa TBD

Minnesota @ Nebraska TBD

Stanford @ Oregon State TBD

California @ Washington State TBD

#8 Georgia @ Mizzou Noon EST SECN

Illinois @ #14 Northwestern Noon EST ESPN2

Houston @ Memphis Noon EST ESPN+

Western Michigan @ Ball State Noon EST ESPN+

#18 Coastal Carolina @ Troy 3 PM EST ESPN+

Central Michigan @ Toledo 3 PM EST ESPN3

#17 North Carolina @ #10 Miami (FL) 3:30 PM EST ABC

Navy @ Army 3:30 PM EST CBS

Michigan State @ Penn State 3:30 PM EST ESPN

Duke @ Florida State 4 PM EST ACCN

Appalachian State @ Georgia Southern 6 PM EST ESPN3

#20 USC @ UCLA 7:30 PM EST ABC

Virginia @ Virginia Tech 8 PM EST ACCN

Utah State @ Colorado State 9:30 PM EST CBSSN

San Diego State @ #13 BYU 10 PM EST ESPN2
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #703 on: December 06, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2020, 02:19:35 AM by Gulf Coastal Elite »

Week 15

Friday, December 11th
Arizona State @ Arizona
Nevada "@" San José State (in Las Vegas)

Saturday, December 12th
Purdue @ #12 Indiana
#16 Wisconsin @ #19 Iowa
#22 Washington @ #23 Oregon
Minnesota @ Nebraska
Oregon State "@" STANFORD (in Corvallis, OR)
California @ Washington State
#8 Georgia @ Mizzou
Illinois @ #14 Northwestern
Houston @ Memphis
Western Michigan @ Ball State
Ohio @ Kent State
#18 Coastal Carolina @ Troy
Central Michigan @ Toledo
#17 North Carolina @ #10 Miami (FL)
Navy @ Army
Michigan State @ Penn State
#7 Cincinnati @ #24 Tulsa
Duke @ Florida State
Appalachian State @ Georgia Southern
#20 USC @ UCLA
Virginia @ Virginia Tech
Utah State @ Colorado State
San Diego State @ #13 BYU
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #704 on: December 07, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »

Arizona State
Nevada

Indiana
Wisconsin
Oregon
Minnesota
Stanford
Washington State
Georgia
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Ohio
Coastal Carolina
Toledo
Miami (FL)
Army (will Trump or Biden (or both) be at the game?)
Michigan State
Cincinnati (last chance for the Bearcats to make an impression on the Playoff Committee)
Duke
Appalachian State
Virginia Tech
Colorado State
BYU
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #705 on: December 07, 2020, 09:31:17 AM »

WEEK 14 RESULTS

Five games were canceled.  The week was won by dfw at 15-5, a game ahead of three other people.  Full results:

15 dfw
14 Dingo Joe, GeorgiaModerate, Jgibson
13 Donerail, ExtremeRepublican
12 Dereich
10 Illiniwek
 9 NY Express

There were 7 unanimous picks:

App State-Louisiana (wrong, except for CraneHusband who I'm not including because it was the only game he picked)
Iowa State-West Virginia
Miami (FL)-Duke
Kentucky-South Carolina
Ohio State-Michigan State
Western Michigan-Eastern Michigan (wrong)
USC-Washington State

And 4 games with a single dissenter:

Texas A&M-Auburn
Texas-Kansas State
Nevada-Fresno State
Purdue-Nebraska (dissenter was right)

dfw moved into first place overall with the win, a game ahead of Donerail.  Year to date standings (276 games):

192 dfw
191 Donerail
189 Dereich
186 ExtremeRepublican, GeorgiaModerate
174 Jgibson
167 NY Express
159 DINGO Joe
151 Illiniwek

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #706 on: December 07, 2020, 01:18:34 PM »

The Tulsa-Cincy game is kind of weird as they've both clinched spots in the conference title game which means they'll play the week after too (at a neutral site).  I saw chatter that the conference might cancel this week's game and just play the conference championship, but I think Tulsa protested because if, in the unlikely chance, they sweep Cincinnati, they might get a New Year's Bowl.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #707 on: December 07, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »

The Tulsa-Cincy game is kind of weird as they've both clinched spots in the conference title game which means they'll play the week after too (at a neutral site).  I saw chatter that the conference might cancel this week's game and just play the conference championship, but I think Tulsa protested because if, in the unlikely chance, they sweep Cincinnati, they might get a New Year's Bowl.

I think the same thing happened in the AAC last year with Memphis and Cincinnati, i.e. they played the last regular season game against each other with their division championships already clinched.  But the regular season game was still meaningful because the winner became the host of the conference title game.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #708 on: December 07, 2020, 02:05:37 PM »

If Cincinnati wins the first round, it might be smart for them to lobby the AAC to treat it as a de facto conference title game (I assume Tulsa won't object since they'd have no chance of the sweep). Would open the 19th for a new game against whoever's free that weekend, which may be more persuasive for the Committee than two wins over Tulsa — BYU's the most obvious matchup since they don't have anything scheduled for that weekend, but you could maybe work something out with one of the ranked schools that won't be playing that weekend too (Indiana? Miami?).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #709 on: December 07, 2020, 02:34:30 PM »

If Cincinnati wins the first round, it might be smart for them to lobby the AAC to treat it as a de facto conference title game (I assume Tulsa won't object since they'd have no chance of the sweep). Would open the 19th for a new game against whoever's free that weekend, which may be more persuasive for the Committee than two wins over Tulsa — BYU's the most obvious matchup since they don't have anything scheduled for that weekend, but you could maybe work something out with one of the ranked schools that won't be playing that weekend too (Indiana? Miami?).

Would anyone who is still alive for a playoff position other than Texas A&M even want to play them?

Remember, Texas A&M needs the win to leapfrog the SEC Championship game loser (if that's Alabama), or a second ACC Team (Notre Dame/Clemson). They'd probably have the most to gain from playing Cincinnati (or BYU/Liberty/Coastal Carolina)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #710 on: December 07, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »

Would anyone who is still alive for a playoff position other than Texas A&M even want to play them?

Remember, Texas A&M needs the win to leapfrog the SEC Championship game loser (if that's Alabama), or a second ACC Team (Notre Dame/Clemson). They'd probably have the most to gain from playing Cincinnati (or BYU/Liberty/Coastal Carolina)

I doubt the SEC would let A&M play out of conference; if they weren't going to allow the big SEC-ACC rivalries go forward they wouldn't allow this.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #711 on: December 07, 2020, 02:49:43 PM »

I doubt the SEC would let A&M play out of conference; if they weren't going to allow the big SEC-ACC rivalries go forward they wouldn't allow this.

Also true, which is why I'm assuming an alternate game won't go forward for Cincinnati.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #712 on: December 07, 2020, 02:57:06 PM »

A&M's not gonna play someone out of conference, especially since they'd lose to Cincinnati — too much to lose and not enough to gain. The ideal pairing is with a school that 1. can play out of conference games and 2. could use a signature win to get a better bowl berth. Someone like Miami or UNC probably makes the most sense, since the ACC has permitted out of conference games and only one of those teams (probably Miami) can get the ACC autobid for the Orange. If Clemson or ND is left out of the playoff, they get the Orange bowl berth and Miami/UNC are stuck contending with all the other bubble teams for the at-large spots in the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach; rolling the dice on a win against Cincinnati makes sense if you think you'd otherwise be relegated to the Duke's Mayo Bowl.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #713 on: December 07, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »

WEEK 14 RESULTS

Five games were canceled.  The week was won by dfw at 15-5, a game ahead of three other people.  Full results:

15 dfw
14 Dingo Joe, GeorgiaModerate, Jgibson
13 Donerail, ExtremeRepublican
12 Dereich
10 Illiniwek
 9 NY Express

There were 7 unanimous picks:

App State-Louisiana (wrong, except for CraneHusband who I'm not including because it was the only game he picked)
Iowa State-West Virginia
Miami (FL)-Duke
Kentucky-South Carolina
Ohio State-Michigan State
Western Michigan-Eastern Michigan (wrong)
USC-Washington State

And 4 games with a single dissenter:

Texas A&M-Auburn
Texas-Kansas State
Nevada-Fresno State
Purdue-Nebraska (dissenter was right)

dfw moved into first place overall with the win, a game ahead of Donerail.  Year to date standings (276 games):

192 dfw
191 Donerail
189 Dereich
174 Jgibson
167 NY Express
159 DINGO Joe
151 Illiniwek

Can you please give me the point for my prediction? It would be so funny to see me at the bottom with one point  yet perfect percentage Tongue
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #714 on: December 08, 2020, 08:51:55 AM »

Can you please give me the point for my prediction? It would be so funny to see me at the bottom with one point  yet perfect percentage Tongue

OK, I'll also add back JacksonHitchcock (I had decided to drop non-regular players from the standings).

Year to date standings (276 games):

192 dfw
191 Donerail
189 Dereich
174 Jgibson
167 NY Express
159 DINGO Joe
151 Illiniwek
 16 JacksonHitchcock
   1 CraneHusband
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #715 on: December 08, 2020, 11:27:16 AM »

OK, I'll also add back JacksonHitchcock (I had decided to drop non-regular players from the standings).

Year to date standings (276 games):

192 dfw
191 Donerail
189 Dereich
174 Jgibson
167 NY Express
159 DINGO Joe
151 Illiniwek
 16 JacksonHitchcock
   1 CraneHusband

Thank you!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #716 on: December 08, 2020, 02:43:11 PM »

Ohio State-Michigan game canceled.

This leaves the Buckeyes one game short of the minimum six required to play in the Big Ten championship game, although it's possible the conference could revisit that rule this week.  If they don't play, the title game will be Indiana vs. Northwestern.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #717 on: December 08, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »

Cincy-Tulsa regular season game canceled, but AAC title game between them is still on.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #718 on: December 08, 2020, 03:46:39 PM »

Ohio State-Michigan game canceled.

This leaves the Buckeyes one game short of the minimum six required to play in the Big Ten championship game, although it's possible the conference could revisit that rule this week.  If they don't play, the title game will be Indiana vs. Northwestern.
The Big Ten will gerrymander The OSU into the championship. Very sad for Indiana, but a championship between the two all-time losingest FBS programs (which is why we, the fans, need it) is not something the Big Ten wants.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #719 on: December 08, 2020, 04:25:26 PM »

Ohio State - Cincinnati: Battle for Ohio
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #720 on: December 08, 2020, 09:47:17 PM »

Ohio State - Texas A&M needs to happen. The winner goes to the playoff and nobody complains.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #721 on: December 08, 2020, 09:50:23 PM »

We should have a Talk Elections top 25 poll, where a panel to 10 or so football lovers, geographically diverse, ranks the top 26 and we compile. I don't doubt it would be better than the AP poll, much better than the Coaches, and probably better than the selection committee too.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #722 on: December 09, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »

We should have a Talk Elections top 25 poll, where a panel to 10 or so football lovers, geographically diverse, ranks the top 26 and we compile. I don't doubt it would be better than the AP poll, much better than the Coaches, and probably better than the selection committee too.

I'd be fine with taking part in such a poll.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #723 on: December 09, 2020, 12:21:56 PM »

Week 15 games

Friday, December 11th

Arizona State @ Arizona 7 PM EST ESPN

Nevada @ San Jose State 10 PM EST CBSSN

Saturday, December 12th

Purdue @ #12 Indiana TBD

#16 Wisconsin @ #19 Iowa TBD

#22 Washington @ #23 Oregon TBD

Minnesota @ Nebraska TBD

Stanford @ Oregon State TBD

California @ Washington State TBD

#8 Georgia @ Mizzou Noon EST SECN

Illinois @ #14 Northwestern Noon EST ESPN2

Houston @ Memphis Noon EST ESPN+

Western Michigan @ Ball State Noon EST ESPN+

Ohio @ Kent State Noon EST ESPN3

#18 Coastal Carolina @ Troy 3 PM EST ESPN+

Central Michigan @ Toledo 3 PM EST ESPN3

#17 North Carolina @ #10 Miami (FL) 3:30 PM EST ABC

Navy @ Army 3:30 PM EST CBS

Michigan State @ Penn State 3:30 PM EST ESPN

#7 Cincinnati @ #24 Tulsa 4 PM EST ESPN2/ESPN

Duke @ Florida State 4 PM EST ACCN

Appalachian State @ Georgia Southern 6 PM EST ESPN3

#20 USC @ UCLA 7:30 PM EST ABC

Virginia @ Virginia Tech 8 PM EST ACCN

Utah State @ Colorado State 9:30 PM EST CBSSN

San Diego State @ #13 BYU 10 PM EST ESPN2
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #724 on: December 09, 2020, 06:23:57 PM »

Indiana-Purdue is off.  And as expected, the Big Ten changed the rules to allow Ohio State into the championship game.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies