2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:35:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25651 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: November 15, 2020, 05:00:28 PM »

Over/under on how many games from our list are canceled or postponed this week?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #551 on: November 15, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »

Over/under on how many games from our list are canceled or postponed this week?
as long as the main ones I'm watching (Indiana-Ohio State, Wisconsin-Northwestern, Cincinnati-UCF, Oklahoma State-Oklahoma, USC-Utah) aren't cancelled, I'm fine lol
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #552 on: November 15, 2020, 05:31:57 PM »

Apparently Will Muschamp is out at South Carolina
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #553 on: November 15, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »

Indiana (Upset pick #1. The Hoosiers are playing really well. While Ohio State is a huge step up in talent for them to face, I believe they can pull it off)

Coastal Carolina (In another year, I would pick Appalachian State. Not this year)

Illinois (Sure, Nebraska beat Penn State, but the Cornhuskers really aren't a good team.)

Temple (Neither team is particularly good. I'd frankly rather be picking something else. Tulane/Tulsa would have better, except for the fact it was on Thursday)

LSU (LSU should win this game on paper)

Army

Texas A&M (If the Aggies go to the Playoff, they need to go unbeaten the rest of the way, and hope Alabama loses (possibly in the SEC Championship game. Ole Miss is good, at least compared to a normal year for Ole Miss, but they aren't winning this game.)

Cincinnati (Given the two losses against UCF and Memphis, UCF is having a down year. While they are good enough to beat Cincinnati on paper, and Dillon Gabriel is the best Quarterback in the conference, but I feel comfortable riding the hot team, and that's Cincinnati. Besides, the Bearcats can reach the Playoff if things go right for them, and they need a win for that)

Northwestern (With the victory over Purdue, Northwestern is starting to make a believer out of me. This is upset pick #2)

California (Oregon State is the worst team in the PAC-12 traditionally. I don't see that changing this week)

Nevada (I'm taking the home team. Nevada might finish unbeaten and get no serious consideration for a New Year's Six spot...if they win the Mountain West (probably against, also still unbeaten San Jose State)

Iowa (Penn State has superior talent on the field, but my goodness, their season has fallen off a cliff. This won't be the game they get their first win. I'm wondering if James Franklin will have any job security issues, especially if this losing streak continues. I don't think he'll be fired this year, unless the Nittany Lions go winless altogether, but I wonder if he'd be fired next season if the team's struggles continue.)

Iowa State (The Wildcats will be a tough out, but I don't feel comfortable picking against the Cyclones at home)

Virginia Tech (The Hokies acquitted themselves very well against both Liberty and Miami (FL). Pittsburgh, every time they've faced a strong opponent (NC State, Boston College, Miami (FL), Notre Dame) have lost.)

South Alabama (Only making this pick because South Alabama is at home)

Oklahoma (Bedlam is always an entertaining game every year. This year, it has New Year's Six implications, in the Big Twelve's representative in the New Year's Six Bowls. I think the Sooners have more talent on the field, and as such, this will be Upset Pick #3.)

Liberty (Liberty continues to make a believer out of me, especially after their win over Virginia Tech two weeks ago. NC State is the vastly superior team, but Liberty is on fire. This is Upset Pick #4)

South Carolina (Again, taking the home team in this one)

Michigan (If Jim Harbaugh loses against Rutgers, a team which he has a vast talent advantage over, he should be fired immediately)

Washington (Again, taking the home team, though I am impressed with Arizona almost beating USC)

Utah (I'm not impressed by USC's close win over Arizona, and Utah is at home. This is upset pick #4.)

Stanford (Again, taking the home team here)

Boise State (The Broncos are the vastly superior team)

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #554 on: November 15, 2020, 05:46:30 PM »

Hmm, it's not official yet, but if Muschamp does get fired, I'd expect South Carolina to hire an assistant at Alabama (that's what SEC schools usually do), or Clemson.

Maybe Steve Sarksian or Brett Venables would be the top candidates.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #555 on: November 16, 2020, 12:27:29 AM »

Hmm, it's not official yet, but if Muschamp does get fired, I'd expect South Carolina to hire an assistant at Alabama (that's what SEC schools usually do), or Clemson.

My bet is Billy Napier (former assistant at Alabama and now HC at "Louisiana") or Hugh Freeze.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #556 on: November 16, 2020, 01:07:57 AM »

My bet is Billy Napier (former assistant at Alabama and now HC at "Louisiana") or Hugh Freeze.

Hugh Freeze makes sense. He's really underappreciated at Liberty. Billy Napier's done well at "Louisiana", but other than serving as an assistant at Alabama and Clemson, I'm not sure he's done enough to prove he can succeed in the SEC.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #557 on: November 16, 2020, 01:11:48 AM »

Hugh Freeze makes sense. He's really underappreciated at Liberty. Billy Napier's done well at "Louisiana", but other than serving as an assistant at Alabama and Clemson, I'm not sure he's done enough to prove he can succeed in the SEC.

I disagree. Billy Napier has turned Louisiana into one of the best G5 programs over multiple seasons. A lower level SEC team would be lucky to get him. He may also be in line for the job at FSU.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #558 on: November 16, 2020, 01:43:53 AM »

I disagree. Billy Napier has turned Louisiana into one of the best G5 programs over multiple seasons. A lower level SEC team would be lucky to get him. He may also be in line for the job at FSU.

Mike Norvell isn't getting fired after one bad year. Remember, this year was the first year of his contract.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #559 on: November 16, 2020, 03:27:28 AM »

Mike Norvell isn't getting fired after one bad year. Remember, this year was the first year of his contract.

I don't think so either but if they play this way a second year... FSU is one of the few elite programs currently playing like a bottom feeder. I can't think they will tolerate it much longer.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #560 on: November 16, 2020, 03:32:00 AM »

I don't think so either but if they play this way a second year... FSU is one of the few elite programs currently playing like a bottom feeder. I can't think they will tolerate it much longer.

They almost have to hire a coach from another Power Five school in that case, not a Billy Napier.

Will Muschamp actually wouldn't be a particularly bad hire for the Seminoles, especially since he had a history of recruiting well at Florida.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #561 on: November 16, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »

Napier was all but offered the Mississippi State job last offseason and turned it down. He's an obvious fit for the job, given his ties to the state — he played at Furman and coached at SC State — and his success at Louisiana. But the most intriguing name to me is Jeff Monken, current head coach at Army (hired there by Bob Caslen, who's now the president at South Carolina). South Carolina running the triple with the caliber of players they recruit... hoo boy.

Will Muschamp actually wouldn't be a particularly bad hire for the Seminoles, especially since he had a history of recruiting well at Florida.
There are rumors about Muschamp replacing Adam Fuller as DC.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #562 on: November 16, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2020, 11:15:13 PM by Gulf Coastal Elite »

Week 12:

Saturday, November 21st
#9 Indiana @ #3 Ohio State
Appalachian State @ #15 Coastal Carolina
Illinois @ Nebraska
East Carolina @ Temple
LSU @ Arkansas
Georgia Southern @ Army
Ole Miss @ #5 Texas A&M
#7 Cincinnati @ UCF
#10 Wisconsin @ #19 Northwestern
California @ Oregon State
San Diego State @ Nevada
Iowa @ Penn State
Kansas State @ #17 Iowa State
Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh
Georgia State @ South Alabama
San Jose State @ Fresno State
#14 Oklahoma State @ #18 Oklahoma
#21 Liberty @ NC State
Missouri @ South Carolina <- USC overperforms, finally freed of the shackles of Muschamp
Michigan @ Rutgers
Arizona @ Washington
#20 USC @ Utah
Washington State @ Stanford
Boise State @ Hawai'i
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #563 on: November 16, 2020, 12:59:46 PM »

Ole Miss-Texas A&M has been postponed.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #564 on: November 16, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »

Michigan sucks! Fire Jim!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #565 on: November 17, 2020, 06:13:23 AM »

LSU is accused of covering up sexual assaults by former Running Back Derrius Guice and several others.

Calls going out for Ed Orgeron's ouster.

If Orgeron is fired, who would replace him, both on interim basis and as the long-term head coach?

Are NCAA sanctions possible here?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #566 on: November 17, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »

ACC reshuffles schedule due to Miami's virus issues:

Their scheduled game against Georgia Tech for this Saturday is now on Dec. 19 -- the same day as the ACC championship game. The ACC noted that the game would be played only if Miami is not in the ACC title game, and if the result does not directly impact who plays in the title game.

Their Nov. 28 game at Wake Forest is now scheduled for Dec. 5. And their game against North Carolina on Dec. 5 was moved to Dec. 12.

To accommodate those games, several others had to be moved:

Wake Forest will now play Louisville on Nov. 28, a week earlier than previously scheduled.

Western Carolina will play at North Carolina on Dec. 5, moved up from Dec. 11.

Louisville will play at Boston College on Dec. 12, moved back from Nov. 27.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30332216/acc-reshuffles-schedule-amid-miami-covid-19-issues
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #567 on: November 17, 2020, 07:59:19 PM »

With the playoff next week, it's time to predict the playoff/New Year's Six again.

Orange Bowl: Miami (FL) vs BYU

Cotton Bowl: Texas A&M vs Indiana

Peach Bowl: Florida vs Oregon

Fiesta Bowl: Liberty vs Clemson

Rose Bowl (Playoff Semifinal): #4 Cincinnati vs #1 Alabama

Sugar Bowl (Playoff Semifinal): #2 Notre Dame vs #3 Ohio State

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #568 on: November 17, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »

Yikes, last week was a pretty bad week for me if I forgot to make my picks...

Week 12 games:

Saturday, November 21st

#9 Indiana @ #3 Ohio State Noon EST FOX

Appalachian State @ #15 Coastal Carolina Noon EST ESPN2

Illinois @ Nebraska Noon EST BTN

East Carolina @ Temple Noon EST ESPN+

LSU @ Arkansas Noon EST SECN

Georgia Southern @ Army Noon EST CBSSN

Ole Miss @ #5 Texas A&M 3:30 PM EST CBS

#7 Cincinnati @ UCF 3:30 PM EST ESPN

#10 Wisconsin @ #19 Northwestern 3:30 PM EST ABC

California @ Oregon State 3:30 PM EST FS1

San Diego State @ Nevada 3:30 PM EST CBSSN

Iowa @ Penn State 3:30 PM EST

Kansas State @ #17 Iowa State 4 PM EST FOX

Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh 4 PM EST ACCN

Georgia State @ South Alabama 4 PM EST ESPNU

San Jose State @ Fresno State 7 PM EST CBSSN

#14 Oklahoma State @ #18 Oklahoma 7:30 PM EST ABC

#21 Liberty @ NC State 7:30 PM EST ESPN3

Missouri @ South Carolina 7:30 PM EST SECN ALT

Michigan @ Rutgers 7:30 PM EST BTN

Arizona @ Washington 8 PM EST FOX

#20 USC @ Utah 10:30 PM EST ESPN

Washington State @ Stanford 11 PM EST FS1

Boise State @ Hawai'i 11 PM EST CBSSN
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #569 on: November 18, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »

Freeze is by no means "underappreciated." Everyone knows he's a very good coach. The good schools weren't willing to touch him because of the NCAA sanctions and sex-scandal-using-school-property; same reason that Art Briles, another undeniably good coach, didn't get another job. That being said, I think South Carolina dumping Muschamp halfway through the season says they're trying to get ahead of other schools in their choice, a big sign to me that they'll go for a big name like Freeze.

It was considered a shock that FSU was even able to fire Taggert last year. The FSU athletic department is in pretty significant debt and its booster network is much much smaller than other "elite" programs. Massive expenditures on coaches just means less money that can be spent on the facilities that make a program elite. It was FSU not being willing to cough up more money to speed up Jimbo's indoor facilities that made him start looking elsewhere. I'd say Norvell has 3 years at very minimum.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #570 on: November 18, 2020, 06:06:50 PM »

The beautiful thing about Freeze to USC is that it'd allow Liberty to hire the young up-and-coming coach who's been doing some great things at Missouri State this season.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #571 on: November 19, 2020, 05:54:28 AM »

Week 12 games:

Saturday, November 21st

#9 Indiana @ #3 Ohio State Noon EST FOX

Appalachian State @ #15 Coastal Carolina Noon EST ESPN2

Illinois @ Nebraska Noon EST BTN

East Carolina @ Temple Noon EST ESPN+

LSU @ Arkansas Noon EST SECN

Georgia Southern @ Army Noon EST CBSSN

#7 Cincinnati @ UCF 3:30 PM EST ESPN

#10 Wisconsin @ #19 Northwestern 3:30 PM EST ABC

California @ Oregon State 3:30 PM EST FS1

San Diego State @ Nevada 3:30 PM EST CBSSN

Iowa @ Penn State 3:30 PM EST

Kansas State @ #17 Iowa State 4 PM EST FOX

Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh 4 PM EST ACCN

Georgia State @ South Alabama 4 PM EST ESPNU

San Jose State @ Fresno State 7 PM EST CBSSN

#14 Oklahoma State @ #18 Oklahoma 7:30 PM EST ABC

#21 Liberty @ NC State 7:30 PM EST ESPN3

Missouri @ South Carolina 7:30 PM EST SECN ALT

Michigan @ Rutgers 7:30 PM EST BTN

Arizona @ Washington 8 PM EST FOX

#20 USC @ Utah 10:30 PM EST ESPN

Washington State @ Stanford 11 PM EST FS1

Boise State @ Hawai'i 11 PM EST CBSSN
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #572 on: November 19, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »

Not on the list, but Michigan State/Maryland has now been canceled.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #573 on: November 20, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »

#9 Indiana @ #3 Ohio State
Illinois @ Nebraska
East Carolina @ Temple
LSU @ Arkansas
Georgia Southern @ Army
Ole Miss @ #5 Texas A&M postponed
#7 Cincinnati @ UCF
#10 Wisconsin @ #19 Northwestern
San Diego State @ Nevada
Iowa @ Penn State
San Jose State @ Fresno State canceled
#14 Oklahoma State @ #18 Oklahoma
#21 Liberty @ NC State
Missouri @ South Carolina
Michigan @ Rutgers
Arizona @ Washington
#20 USC @ Utah
Boise State @ Hawai'i
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #574 on: November 20, 2020, 05:38:32 PM »

#9 Indiana @ #3 Ohio State   Hoping so so hard for the upset here. An Indiana-Northwestern Big10 championship would be my kind of trash
Illinois @ Nebraska
East Carolina @ Temple
LSU @ Arkansas
Georgia Southern @ Army
Ole Miss @ #5 Texas A&M postponed
#7 Cincinnati @ UCF
#10 Wisconsin @ #19 Northwestern  See above
San Diego State @ Nevada
Iowa @ Penn State
San Jose State @ Fresno State canceled
#14 Oklahoma State @ #18 Oklahoma  Bedlam overall record: 89 OK-18 OKST. Oklahoma winning this game is just in the blood.
#21 Liberty @ NC State
Missouri @ South Carolina
Michigan @ Rutgers
Arizona @ Washington
#20 USC @ Utah
Boise State @ Hawai'i

Also want to point out that Vandy is expected to do better against Florida than FSU is against Clemson. 2020 is the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies