2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:43:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25519 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »

And UNC throws in the towel for in-person classes this semester.  I can't believe they'll be playing football under these circumstances.

Their athletes never attended classes anyway. (in-person or online)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »

And UNC throws in the towel for in-person classes this semester.  I can't believe they'll be playing football under these circumstances.

Their athletes never attended classes anyway. (in-person or online)

A definite point. Smiley
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »

SEC schedule
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2020, 06:10:08 PM »

At this point, I don't see any possible way for the 2020 CFB season to proceed. Once colleges have in person classes, covid cases keep exploding. The students are obviously not following social distancing (or some are, but the ones partying are ruining it for the rest). Once CFB players get a break they have been partying, as has been evidenced by the recent OU football cases. Notre Dame, Michigan State (which already had cancelled its CFB season), and many others are beginning to go back online. Seems like the beginning of the end.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2020, 08:21:00 PM »

At this point, I don't see any possible way for the 2020 CFB season to proceed. Once colleges have in person classes, covid cases keep exploding. The students are obviously not following social distancing (or some are, but the ones partying are ruining it for the rest). Once CFB players get a break they have been partying, as has been evidenced by the recent OU football cases. Notre Dame, Michigan State (which already had cancelled its CFB season), and many others are beginning to go back online. Seems like the beginning of the end.

I think it's highly unlikely the SEC, ACC, or Big 12 cancel. Many people in Trump country see the football cancelations as a politically motivated attack on Trump and not a public safety issue, and the governors of those states aren't going to allow it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »

I think it's highly unlikely the SEC, ACC, or Big 12 cancel. Many people in Trump country see the football cancelations as a politically motivated attack on Trump and not a public safety issue, and the governors of those states aren't going to allow it.

The Big 12 might lose Kansas if Laura Kelly steps in. The ACC might lose their North Carolina Schools if Roy Cooper steps in.

The SEC isn't canceling barring something going horribly wrong though (it would probably take students and coaches actually dying of COVID, and even then, I'm not convinced that'll be enough).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2020, 09:26:10 PM »

The Big 12 might lose Kansas if Laura Kelly steps in. The ACC might lose their North Carolina Schools if Roy Cooper steps in.

The SEC isn't canceling barring something going horribly wrong though (it would probably take students and coaches actually dying of COVID, and even then, I'm not convinced that'll be enough).

As opposed to college kids testing positive, quarantining and becoming immune?  That should have been okay with everyone who wasn’t hysterical ... the Big Ten jumped the gun.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »

Jaden McNeil is going to be so thankful to her when he is still at Kansas State and half the football team has to transfer Smiley
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-to-be-played-as-scheduled-after-2020-season-with-no-plans-for-spring-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2k8o5vSMNKnrpQbqOUcGh5hkmOO9rZ_hU0W06cwgnPnCCfPY_xB-mwtlY

The playoff is going on as scheduled despite the pac 12 and big ten not playing.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2020, 03:16:11 PM »

The Big Ten is now discussing potentially moving the football season up to start on Thanksgiving weekend or some other time in November. Along the lines that Harry was discussing earlier, Twitter is rife with speculation that the cancellation/new date are being done to hamper Trump's reelection campaign.

If this does happen what a mess it will be. The committee and the AP poll with be absolute messes. Plus, considering the Big Ten, it'll mean whole lot of snow games this year.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2020, 04:57:55 PM »

The Big Ten is now discussing potentially moving the football season up to start on Thanksgiving weekend or some other time in November. Along the lines that Harry was discussing earlier, Twitter is rife with speculation that the cancellation/new date are being done to hamper Trump's reelection campaign.

If this does happen what a mess it will be. The committee and the AP poll with be absolute messes. Plus, considering the Big Ten, it'll mean whole lot of snow games this year.

I had heard that they were planning to play most games at domes in Detroit, Minneapolis, and Indianapolis (retractable roof), which would alleviate weather issues.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »

Honestly, doing a season completely in the Winter would be worse for COVID.

Either commit to a Spring season, cancel entirely, or be prepared to start next week. A November/December/January season is literally the worst possible option.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2020, 08:29:05 PM »

College football is on! Central Arkansas vs Austin Peay is on ESPN. Probably the only time most (if not all!) of these players will have a prime-time game. Especially nice for Austin Peay whose conference was cancelled and so only has three games scheduled, the other two being games in which they're a cupcake to be sacrificed.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2020, 08:34:19 PM »

College football is on! Central Arkansas vs Austin Peay is on ESPN. Probably the only time most (if not all!) of these players will have a prime-time game. Especially nice for Austin Peay whose conference was cancelled and so only has three games scheduled, the other two being games in which they're a cupcake to be sacrificed.

And Austin Peay is currently winning 7-0 with less than five minutes to go in the first quarter.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »

And Austin Peay is currently winning 7-0 with less than five minutes to go in the first quarter.

First play of the game was a 75 yard touchdown!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2020, 01:23:49 PM »

In terms of the pick em contest, proposing a September 12th start date (which is when the Big 12, ACC, and AAC conferences begin).

I also give two options for this, we can do a few games from that week (not a lot of hot ticket games, I think the most interesting one is SMU @ TCU? the rest are mostly FBS vs FCS except like Clemson-Wake Forest which....yeah)

or we can play all 22 Saturday games which would basically pad our scores but it wouldn't matter since we would all likely pick most of them right anyways.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »

In terms of the pick em contest, proposing a September 12th start date (which is when the Big 12, ACC, and AAC conferences begin).

I also give two options for this, we can do a few games from that week (not a lot of hot ticket games, I think the most interesting one is SMU @ TCU? the rest are mostly FBS vs FCS except like Clemson-Wake Forest which....yeah)

or we can play all 22 Saturday games which would basically pad our scores but it wouldn't matter since we would all likely pick most of them right anyways.

I sent you a PM about it, but I'm in favor of picking all 22 games.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »

I don't have a strong preference either way.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »

I'd recommend a September 12th start.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2020, 03:26:27 PM »

Why?  If anything, it is safer to play football now.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2020, 04:57:58 PM »

I think it will be very hard for a university to justify bringing their football team together for practices and games at a time when they don't consider it safe for students to be in class together. 
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2020, 05:01:47 PM »

I think it will be very hard for a university to justify bringing their football team together for practices and games at a time when they don't consider it safe for students to be in class together. 

Like, it seems that these are actually quite safe. UofM, for example, has not had a positive test for the last 2 weeks.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2020, 05:08:56 PM »

I don't plan on watching much RN at this point tbh. It's just not the same.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2020, 05:11:48 PM »

I'm fine with starting on the 12th.

Seriously considering trying to go to Vandy's opener in College Station if I can somehow get my hands on one of the limited tickets.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »

Actually, now that I think about it, why can't our first game be September 7 (BYU @ Navy)?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies