2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:59:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 41
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25520 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »

We could see some Group of five schools moving into the Power five or down to Division II as a result.
Nobody is moving down to D2. Financially struggling schools who quit FBS will either move to FCS or cancel their programs entirely.

As for moving into P5, very few schools fit both the geographical and institutional profiles to make the move (Colorado State, Houston, UCF, USF, Cincinnati), and there is no logical reason for any conference (and by any, I mean Big 12) to add them because of COVID.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »

hmm

Athletic Directors should consider firing coaches who insist on playing games now (or in the Spring. It probably won't be safe to play then either. The earliest I can see football coming back at any level is next fall)

Think about that though. Firing Ryan Day without cause (and this would absolutely be without cause) would mean paying a 3.5 million dollar buyout in a year that the athletics department will be losing a massive amount of revenue. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the revenue effects will be great enough that I doubt we'll see many (if any) non-cause firings for the next few years.

You could argue that encouraging the endangerment of student athletes health would be grounds for a for cause firing.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2020, 05:17:41 PM »

hmm

Athletic Directors should consider firing coaches who insist on playing games now (or in the Spring. It probably won't be safe to play then either. The earliest I can see football coming back at any level is next fall)

Think about that though. Firing Ryan Day without cause (and this would absolutely be without cause) would mean paying a 3.5 million dollar buyout in a year that the athletics department will be losing a massive amount of revenue. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the revenue effects will be great enough that I doubt we'll see many (if any) non-cause firings for the next few years.

You could argue that encouraging the endangerment of student athletes health would be grounds for a for cause firing.

And you could argue that you’re using excessive hyperbole due to slightly exaggerated COVID hysteria you’re experiencing.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »

hmm

And you could argue that you’re using excessive hyperbole due to slightly exaggerated COVID hysteria you’re experiencing.

And, as players like Trevor Lawrence have noted, a whole lot more precautions are being taken for these players than would be taken if there were no season.  Their risk of getting coronavirus would probably go up, not down, if they don't play because they probably won't be nearly as isolated if they aren't playing.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »

hmm

And, as players like Trevor Lawrence have noted, a whole lot more precautions are being taken for these players than would be taken if there were no season.  Their risk of getting coronavirus would probably go up, not down, if they don't play because they probably won't be nearly as isolated if they aren't playing.

Former Michigan All-American Defensive Tackle Chris Hutchinson is the father of All-Big Ten Defensive End Aiden Hutchinson he also holds an MD from the University of Michigan, he is supportive of football being played in the fall. Jim Harbaugh the head coach at the University of Michigan is supportive of College Football in the fall, Ryan Day the head coach of Ohio State University is supportive of football in the fall. James Franklin the head coach at Penn State is also supportive of the season. Harbaugh, Day, and Franklin are probably the most important coaches north of the Mason Dixon line and they lead the 3 most important schools in the Big Ten. ER this isn't really directed at you, sorry for the quote. It's mainly adding onto the conversation and the idiocy of NYE.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2020, 05:48:12 PM »

hmm

I'd argue that being on campus is more dangerous that being at home and attending class remotely.

But who am I kidding. These "student" athletes probably aren't attending class anyways for the most part, and the athletic departments are probably covering it up.

hmm

Former Michigan All-American Defensive Tackle Chris Hutchinson is the father of All-Big Ten Defensive End Aiden Hutchinson he also holds an MD from the University of Michigan, he is supportive of football being played in the fall. Jim Harbaugh the head coach at the University of Michigan is supportive of College Football in the fall, Ryan Day the head coach of Ohio State University is supportive of football in the fall. James Franklin the head coach at Penn State is also supportive of the season. Harbaugh, Day, and Franklin are probably the most important coaches north of the Mason Dixon line and they lead the 3 most important schools in the Big Ten. ER this isn't really directed at you, sorry for the quote. It's mainly adding onto the conversation and the idiocy of NYE.

It really isn't stupid in my opinion, to wait for a vaccine before opening up things like sporting events. That's what the pros should have done, and that's certainly what colleges should have done.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2020, 05:55:59 PM »

It really isn't stupid in my opinion, to wait for a vaccine before opening up things like sporting events. That's what the pros should have done, and that's certainly what colleges should have done.
You can't control thousands of fans in a stadium. You can control a relatively limited number of players, staff, officials, and media.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2020, 11:55:32 AM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2020, 12:33:48 PM »

hmm

I'd argue that being on campus is more dangerous that being at home and attending class remotely.

But who am I kidding. These "student" athletes probably aren't attending class anyways for the most part, and the athletic departments are probably covering it up.

hmm

You might be waiting years for any semblance of normal sports, then.

Not realistic.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2020, 01:32:56 PM »

hmm

hmm

Not realistic.

I'm reasonably confident we'll have a vaccine by the fall of 2021 at the earliest.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »

As expected:

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »

hmm

hmm

Not realistic.

I'm reasonably confident we'll have a vaccine by the fall of 2021 at the earliest.

And what percent of people will you require to be vaccinated before we can come out from our basements?  It will be 4+ years until a majority of Americans are vaccinated, IMO.  I’m 28, healthy and suspect I had it (mother in law was confirmed positive and got us sick, but there weren’t enough tests then to get one) ... why would I get that first round of vaccines, frankly?  There will be a LOT of people who weigh that their risk of taking a potentially rushed vaccine is greater than COVID.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2020, 02:50:33 PM »

As expected:

Well at a minimum we can say that the Big 10 were unable to convince the other conferences to all cancel together.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »

Pac 12 cancelled unanimously
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 05:04:13 PM by Dereich »

Frankly, I think the idea of a spring season is minuscule and if they did do spring football it'd only be a two or three games at most. A full spring season which phased right into prep for a fall season would be a logistical and a health nightmare even beyond the coronavirus. I think the spring thing is used as an interim step to full cancellation.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »

Dissent in the P5 ranks! The Big 12 says they're going ahead with football and just put out their fall schedule:

Big 12
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »

Dissent in the P5 ranks! The Big 12 says they're going ahead with football and just put out their fall schedule:

Big 12
Interesting their first games aren't until 9/26, obviously they are hoping the spread of the virus will lessen by then. It also gives the conference time to quarantine players or maybe even whole teams if an outbreak occurs.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2020, 06:09:58 PM »

IF the Big 12, SEC, and ACC actually do play (and that's a big if)

do we want to still do the pick em?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2020, 06:53:30 PM »

I'm game.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2020, 07:05:02 PM »

I'm game.

It's not just those three conferences. Several Group of Five Conferences still haven't announced their plans.

I'd be interested...but I think it's best to just save this space for Fall 2021.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »

I'm game.

It's not just those three conferences. Several Group of Five Conferences still haven't announced their plans.

I'd be interested...but I think it's best to just save this space for Fall 2021.

There's no reason a different thread couldn't be created for 2021 (other than trying to make the point you've made several times about your views on playing).

I'm in for whatever sort of season we get.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2020, 02:14:15 PM »

During the 2 weeks they were practicing, there were 0 positive cases on the OU team, however once they were given the opportunity to do what they wanted...

That's the issue. When they practice every day and don't really go out and party (or whatever else), then things are fine. Once a break arrives, this happens.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »

When the student body comes back, there will be parties.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2020, 09:54:11 AM »

When the student body comes back, there will be parties.

UNC has reported four COVID-19 clusters in less than a week after starting classes.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2020, 03:40:43 PM »

And UNC throws in the towel for in-person classes this semester.  I can't believe they'll be playing football under these circumstances.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies