2018 senate with President Sanders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:44:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2018 senate with President Sanders
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2018 senate with President Sanders  (Read 542 times)
charlie6497
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »

If Bernie beat Hillary in the primary and then won the general election, how would the 2018 senate have turned out?

I think there would have been major losses across the board. In addition to the 4 seats they already lost, they would not have picked up NV and AZ, and would have lost in MT, WV, and could have very well lost in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. There would even have been the chance of a Menendez loss.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »

Like, I'd agree with you in terms of losing AZ I do still believe they would pick up NV. I think West Virginia flips, along with Montana as well. I don't think it's likely Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania flip though.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »

It would be ugly for Democrats. If Sanders's approvals were similar to Obama's in 2010 or 2014, they would not pick up NV or AZ and also lose WV, MT, OH, WI, and MI. Pennsylvania and New Jersey would likely be <5% Democratic wins.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:58:54 PM »

Probably worse than having Clinton as President.

Democrats hold California, New York and Massachusetts (if Warren is not elected VP). Republicans win everything else.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 05:10:23 PM »

Republicans gain Florida, Indiana, Missouri and North Dakota as in real life, plus Michigan, Montana, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the Minnesota special if it happens. They don't pick up Arizona or Nevada or come close in Texas.

Bernie's open seat in Vermont plays out a bit like Tennessee, as Phil appoints Jim Douglas and it's more competitive than usual, but he loses by around 10 anyway.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »

Democrats hold California, New York and Massachusetts (if Warren is not elected VP). Republicans win everything else.

Um Republicans wouldn’t win WA, CT , MD, RI , DE, VT either.

The Republicans have a better chance at probably CA than they do at VT in President Bernie
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 05:45:37 PM »

Um Republicans wouldn’t win WA, CT , MD, RI , DE, VT either.

The Republicans have a better chance at probably CA than they do at VT in President Bernie

I think the Progressive Party (or an Independent closely aligned with Sanders) wins in Vermont, and probably caucuses with the Democrats.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »

assuming the nominees remain the same:

Green are races that I believe could go either way depending on what Bernie has done.

Hear me out on FL: The expectations in 2018 under president Bernie are much different. Some races are triaged early (ND, WV, IN) and Nelson actually campaigns. Millions aren't pumped into TX because Dems are more focused on defending what they have.

Whether that's enough to counteract the R pushback, I have no idea. That's why it's either way.

I say WI stays D simply because Vukmir was just not really a good candidate and Baldwin is well liked.

Still, this means a likely deadlocked government for 2 years.
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 02:31:17 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 04:24:55 PM by mrappaport1220 »

This would have been a complete disaster for Democrats. In 2016, Dems would likely take the senate by gaining a total of 4 seats (NH, IL, WI, PA), which would land them with 50 seats, including the independents who caucus with them. They'd lose their majority once VT Gov. Scott picks an interm appointment but would regain the seat in a special election sometime in 2017. In 2018, Democrats would lose 7-10 seats. This below would be my 2018 Senate map under a President Sanders. It would be fairly similar under a President Hillary Clinton, but maybe a little bit worse than this.

Republicans: 57 (+7)
Democrats: 43 (-7) - Includes 1 Independent (Angus King from Maine)

Notes:
Jeff Sessions would never become Attorney General and therefore, stays in the Senate. Democrat Jones never becomes senator.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »

I think R+10 or R+9 is the net gain depending on whether Franken resigned or not. The exact composition depends on what states Bernie flipped in 2016.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies