538 model & poll tracker thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:57:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  538 model & poll tracker thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 40
Author Topic: 538 model & poll tracker thread  (Read 57803 times)
Annatar
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 28, 2020, 10:00:11 AM »

So they just added a bunch of those USC polls. Biden's polling lead jumped back over 9 points and Trump's at his lowest support in over a month. Yet the model didn't move in this mornings update. I really don't understand how it works anymore.

Update: The new "social desirability bias" Trafalgar poll of Michigan affected the model more than weeks worth of national polls showing Biden up in the double digits.

The model doesn't work off national polls, it is a state based model.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #451 on: August 28, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »

So they just added a bunch of those USC polls. Biden's polling lead jumped back over 9 points and Trump's at his lowest support in over a month. Yet the model didn't move in this mornings update. I really don't understand how it works anymore.

Update: The new "social desirability bias" Trafalgar poll of Michigan affected the model more than weeks worth of national polls showing Biden up in the double digits.

That's not entirely true. There have been days where Biden's % has dropped because his national numbers have dropped.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #452 on: August 28, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »

That's not entirely true. There have been days where Biden's % has dropped because his national numbers have dropped.

Well the national polls are used for trend adjustment it's true, but the effect is really minor, almost non-existent, for all intents and purposes the model basically runs on state polls.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #453 on: August 28, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »

If the model ignores both national polls and Trump's approval ratings, then the model is sh**t.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #454 on: August 28, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #455 on: August 28, 2020, 12:10:00 PM »

Biden keeps going up in the polls but down in the projections because look at these fonts!

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #456 on: August 28, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »

Biden keeps going up in the polls but down in the projections because look at these fonts!

At the very least, Silver should recognize that certain long-anticipated events such as convention acceptance speeches will generate large headlines without leading to the same level of newly-introduced uncertainty that something like the Comey letter or Access Hollywood would generate with similar-sized headlines.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »

I don't understand this model and I haven't been paying any attention to it. I'm not interested in Nate Silver's gut feeling on the trajectory of the race. Just let the data stand on its own.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »

The model now shows decimals when you toggle the popular vote.

Current popular vote prediction is Biden 52.4 - Trump 46.3
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #459 on: August 28, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »

Has anyone questioned Silver why his model takes for granted that the race will tighten?
I mean there are plenty of cases where the opposite happened.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »

Has anyone questioned Silver why his model takes for granted that the race will tighten?

It's not necessarily that he thinks the race will tighten.  He thinks the race will converge on the "fundamentals", and right now the "fundamentals" (especially I believe the stock market) predict a tossup race.

Right now, the predictions for each state are only 40-50% based on the polls, and 50-60% based on everything else Silver has decided might be relevant.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2020, 01:24:01 PM »

It's not necessarily that he thinks the race will tighten.  He thinks the race will converge on the "fundamentals", and right now the "fundamentals" (especially I believe the stock market) predict a tossup race.

Right now, the predictions for each state are only 40-50% based on the polls, and 50-60% based on everything else Silver has decided might be relevant.

This is one of the fundamental (no pun intended) differences between the 538 and Economist models.  538 assumes the fundamentals indicate a close race, while the Economist assumes that the fundamentals suggest a significant Biden lead.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #462 on: August 28, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »

FWIW, he also tweeted this:

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #463 on: August 28, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »

It's not necessarily that he thinks the race will tighten.  He thinks the race will converge on the "fundamentals", and right now the "fundamentals" (especially I believe the stock market) predict a tossup race.

The fundamentals are hundreds of thousands of dead, record unemployment, the worst civil unrest in more than 50 years, and a chronically unpopular president whose approval is hovering around 40%. I'll believe that the race will tighten when I see it.  
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #464 on: August 28, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #465 on: August 28, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »

It's crazy how 4% makes the difference between Trump winning a squeaker & Biden having the best election performance since Bush '88
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #466 on: August 28, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »

It's crazy how 4% makes the difference between Trump winning a squeaker & Biden having the best election performance since Bush '88

Democrats are on the wrong side of a delayed realignment. 2016 showed huge collapses in the Midwest, there was a giant counter trend in the Sun Belt, but TX,GA,AZ were too solidly Republican to flip in one election cycle. WI, PA and MI were flippable as they were only tilt/lean D, not safe like the Republican Sunbelt

For those who prefer the SUNBELT STACK, it is possible in a +8 NPV Biden landslide.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #467 on: August 29, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »

If his model is really changing that much because of Trafalgar polls, then it’s junk
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: August 30, 2020, 07:41:41 PM »

Just got this beautiful realignment map. Note that even ME-1 goes for Trump.

Biden 271
Trump 267
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #469 on: August 30, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »

Just got this beautiful realignment map. Note that even ME-1 goes for Trump.

Biden 271
Trump 267

Oh god I can imagine the pundits salivating already.

But seriously, imagine the panic if Minnesota, New Hampshire, all of Maine, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania vote for Trump... only for Biden to turn it around and win Arizona, Florida, and Michigan. Talk about mood wiplash.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #470 on: August 30, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »

Hell, imagine if that's Biden's map - Michigan + Georgia

So long Rust Belt, hello Sun Belt!
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #471 on: August 30, 2020, 08:35:26 PM »

It would even work without GA or MI if he wins NC, although he'd have zero room for error with faithless electors.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #472 on: August 30, 2020, 09:27:53 PM »

It would even work without GA or MI if he wins NC, although he'd have zero room for error with faithless electors.

That would be horrible for the senate unless trends aren't real for Tina Smith, Gary Peters, and Jeanne Shaheen. I would think that the electors would stick with Biden because if one of them voted for someone else, they would receive numerous death threats. Imagine if this happened:

The final election results look like this.

President
Biden/Harris: 270 EV
Trump/Pence: 268 EV

Senate
Democrats: 50 (+3)
Republicans: 50 (-3)
(Republicans win GA-special)

And then when the electoral college votes, we get this:
Biden/Harris: 269 EV
Other/Other: 1 EV

The House delegations elect Trump president and the Senate deadlocks 50-50. Pence tries to cast a tie-breaking vote, which is challenged by Democrats in the courts. When it reaches the Supreme Court, the ruling is in favor of Pence, who is then re-elected vice president by the Senate and his own tie-breaking vote. Mitch McConnell is then re-elected Majority Leader by the Senate.

One crazy Biden-state elector changes the outcome of the election from a Democratic trifecta to four more years of Trump/Pence and at least two more years of Majority Leader McConnell.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #473 on: August 30, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »

That would be horrible for the senate unless trends aren't real for Tina Smith, Gary Peters, and Jeanne Shaheen. I would think that the electors would stick with Biden because if one of them voted for someone else, they would receive numerous death threats. Imagine if this happened:

The final election results look like this.

President
Biden/Harris: 270 EV

Senate
Democrats: 50 (+3)
Republicans: 50 (-3)
(Republicans win GA-special)

And then when the electoral college votes, we get this:
Biden/Harris: 269 EV
Other/Other: 1 EV

The House delegations elect Trump president and the Senate deadlocks 50-50. Pence tries to cast a tie-breaking vote, which is challenged by Democrats in the courts. When it reaches the Supreme Court, the ruling is in favor of Pence, who is then re-elected vice president by the Senate and his own tie-breaking vote. Mitch McConnell is then re-elected Majority Leader by the Senate.

One crazy Biden-state elector changes the outcome of the election from a Democratic trifecta to four more years of Trump/Pence and at least two more years of Majority Leader McConnell.

The riots that would follow this would make those first few nights of Floyd look like nothing...
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #474 on: August 31, 2020, 05:14:58 AM »

The national polling average really dropped an *ENTIRE POINT* because of the Zogby poll. Really.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies